Testers wanted - newer kernel for FP2 - Lineage 16.0 and 17.1

Wow, that’s impressive work!
Now it runs fine:
grafik
:+1:

1 Like

May I ask what kind of rebase this is? Surely, Linux 3.4 ended with 3.4.113. This is the basis for the corresponding Android kernel (which is 3.4.113?) which is the basis for Qualcomm’s Android kernel with modifications found in CodeAurora? Or am I missing something?
And is it correct that on top of that come a ton of patches which are not regarded with a corresponding version number?

I think history is:

1. FP2 original code is based on Code Aurora code, with the manifest being LA.BF.1.1.1-03010-8x74.0. This incorporates Linux 3.4.0 [1]

2. Code Aurora CAF was later updated by lineage kernel to LA.BF.1.1.3-01610-8x74.0 (LA.BF.1.1.3_rb1.13) and later to (LA.BF.1.1.3_rb1.15). Still based on 3.4.0

3. android-common (branch:deprecated/android-3.4) is updated by Google (without CAF) and incorporates linux-stable up to 3.4.67. This was the end of google maintenance for 3.4.

4. linux-stable is updated up to 3.4.113.

What we’re still missing in FP2 are the changes from 3) android-common on top of CAF. A subset of those changes had been integrated to “get it going” [2]. Once this current kernel appears “stable”, I will have a look at this (again - yes, we also tried this once and it failed).

In theory, it would have been better to rebase the whole FP2 commits on top of CAF + android-common + linux-stable, but this is really too much work and maybe not worth the trouble. There have been a lot of security fixes on top of those, who would need to be replayed.

Hope this helps (hope also this is “correct”).

Chris

[1] https://code.fairphone.com/projects/fp-osos/dev/fairphone-os-build-instructions.html
[2] TBH: I don’t know to what extend or tag or branch, the CAF sources have (some older version? of) android-common incorporated.

4 Likes

Thank you for clarifying!

Just a small question, can I backup my original version before flashing the new one :)? Can you give some insight, what the biggest or most evident changes the new kernel offers for FP2?

Thanks,
Singu

2 Likes

Just do a backup in twrp of the boot partition.

1 Like

Now, that kernel seems to run fine, are you planning to add it to official LineageOS 17.1 for FP2, too? Just asking… :slight_smile:

Would it make sense to test that kernel with 17.1 already now?

2 Likes

I will wait a bit to get 17.1 feedback and then make a version for 17.1 [1]

Chris

[1] You cannot use this as such for 17.1

3 Likes

I got around 2-3 reboot a week with the new kernel, that was approximately the same frequency for the old one.
Two times an app freezed (whatsapp) then 2 second later the phone rebooted.
One time phone was idle then I heard the vibration and it did a random reboot.

I’ll try to catch the log next time :wink:
Olivier

hey,

how flash img over adb (remote)?

adb flash boot *.img

Steven

ahhh, sorry :sleeping:

There is now also version (with more android-common stuff) for 17.1. Please test. The 16.0 line is discontinued for obvious reasons now.

Chris

1 Like

Hey

I will wait a little longer until I switch to 17.1. :slight_smile:
So far, the new kernel has worked perfectly.

Steven

1 Like

I flashed the new kernel on my FP2 with LOS 17.1 and noticed no problems so far.
Am still in the process of setting up my most important apps on the device to check if everything works with 17.1 :wink:

3 Likes

I recently switched to LOS 17.1 and I’m thankful it’s working fine. Only thing I observed without further investigation is that Wifi doesn’t look stable (like with LOS 16).I didn’t re-import old AP-settings, and have location scanning for Wifi and Bluetooth disabled, also HW-accel for Tethering.

Will the new kernel help in that area?

I dont think so, but please test it anyway.
Can you reproducible test wifi failures?

Chris

Same here.

I’ve tried with my most used apps and it’s all working so far. Also no problem using wifi.
I just did not yet have time to check phone calls or mobile data as there’s currently no sim in the phone.

I had a look (again), but I don’t see the info, please bear with me …

What benefit(s) does the newer kernel have compared to the older one?