Telegram settings

Well, initially I intended to ask about some settings for Telegram, but through trial and error I found my way, which I would like to share.

Starting from the beginning: friends tried to make me join WhatsApp but found my resistance rock-solid. So I have been charged to find an alternative that worked for Android (for me Fairphone Open), iPhone and Windows Phone. Eventually we decided for Telegram and my friends were happy - but me not. My issue was, that the battery life-time dropped from 48+ hours to around 24 hours. Telegram continuously checked for updates and thus consumed more power than I was willing to invest in this adventure.
So first solution was found in the FAQs, to enable the intrinsic notifier (sorry for the German, I have no clue where these settings are hidden in other language operating systems):

• Telegram > Einstellungen > Mitteilungen und Töne > Hintergrundverbindung aktivieren. Dadurch wird das Telegram-eigene System verwendet, welches eine kleine Verbesserung erreicht.

This helped a liiittlle bit, not much really, actually hardly perceivable.

By chance I found the following feature:

• Einstellungen > Apps > Telegram > Datenverbrauch > App Hintergrunddaten beschränken aktivieren. Hierdurch kann Telegram im Hintergrund nicht mehr das Mobilfunknetz verwenden. Neue Nachrichten werden nur geholt, wenn die App hervorgeholt wird. Dies reduziert den Batterieverbrauch fast auf Null.

So I inhibited the feature of being notified about updates. Now I have to check myself, which I am happy with. I did not like the continuous ping whenever I have been busy doing something else.

So, maybe this helps other users with a similar demand.

PS: My personal experience with the Fairphone2 can be found on my home page: https://permondes.de/ikiwiki/de/Erhalten/Fairphone/

4 Likes

Why not start the thread in German then :wink: ?

2 Likes

Have just installed Telegram to check for the english version.
Here it is:

[quote]So first solution was found in the FAQs, to enable the intrinsic notifier (sorry for the German, I have no clue where these settings are hidden in other language operating systems):

• Telegram > Einstellungen > Mitteilungen und Töne > Hintergrundverbindung aktivieren. Dadurch wird das Telegram-eigene System verwendet, welches eine kleine Verbesserung erreicht.
    [/quote]

• Telegram > Settings > Notifications and Sounds > Background Notification (enable) This results in using Telegram’s proprietary system, and achieved a slight enhancement.

[quote]By chance I found the following feature:

• Einstellungen > Apps > Telegram > Datenverbrauch > App Hintergrunddaten beschränken aktivieren. Hierdurch kann Telegram im Hintergrund nicht mehr das Mobilfunknetz verwenden. Neue Nachrichten werden nur geholt, wenn die App hervorgeholt wird. Dies reduziert den Batterieverbrauch fast auf Null.[/quote]
  • Settings (Android Settings that is) > Apps > Telegram > Data Usage > Restrict app background data (on)
    This way Telegam is hindered using the mobile networks in the background. New Notifications are loaded only on activating Telegram. This way battery consumption is nearly reduced to zero.

I hope I got the last part/ the explanation right, as I never have used this app (and are most likely going to unistall it right away).
The path on the other hand I can vouch for.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot, Dietmar, I was looking for something like that. So far, I always forced Telegram to quit when I was done using it and opened it again to check for new messages, but this solution is MUCH better. I just changed the setting now, so I haven’t yet seen the effects on battery life, but I can’t wait until Telegram is not my top battery hog anymore.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.