Technologies for Fairphone 5

If possible with SoC expandable RAM (empty slot or so) - so no need to build in too much in begin but still usable 5 years later.

In the end I bought two FP2, to have one as backup. Otherwise, I would have been without phone for several days, until spares arrived… The plastic frames are now cracked after several falls. Original transparent case rubber frame became loose after a while, so I think there is not any ideal solution. Maybe a wooden frame would be something to explore/try.

2 Likes

Less is more and fair

1 Like

Sorry, David, an extra cable to convert the connector and the signal is not a solution, it is a workaround at best.

5 Likes

My wish for my next mobile phone includes a 3,5mm audio jack connection for wired headphones. And an FM-receiver radio, which I realy mis in mij current fairphone3. btw: the 3,5 mm jack is there to be used as antenna for the FM-receiver too.

As an alternative for the FM receiver, I’d say a DAB receiver would be nice, so I can listen to wireless radio without the need to be connected the other way around.

8 Likes

IP68 rating - should be feasible, see Samsung Galaxy Xcover 5 Enterprise Edition with exchangeable battery and 3.5mm headphone jack

adaptive refresh rate from 10Hz or 15Hz to 90Hz or 120Hz

more fair metals :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I just simply need a persistent visual notification.
Means a multicolor notification LED or an OLED display with proper AOD.

That’s all I am asking for :wink:

6 Likes

I would agree to this wish; though it’s rather unlikely to be achievable.

Fairphone is not just about replacing the battery, but about repairing by exchanging modules. Sealing the phone and leaving the battery compartment accessible is much more easy than sealing the phone and leaving it open to replace the display, usb-port, camera etc.

See the homepage of the new “rephone”:

Verschraubte, statt verklebte Bauteile ermĂśglichen leichte Reparatur. Daher kein IP-Schutz

:uk: (my translation) Modules screwed together instead of glued together for easy repairs. Therefore no IP certification.

4 Likes

You only have to seal the display, back cover and USB port well. For example, with a natural rubber seal, the rest is then automatically protected.

Sony had a similar solution for the Xperia 5, for example, with an O-ring on the SIM tray cover.

2 Likes

Of course a device that can be opened can be IP68 as well.
I just doubt, that such a device is meant to be opened and repaired by the average user.
At least the IP68 devices (some portable HDD) I own are not. The only thing destined for me to open is the rubber seal on the USB-port.

On the other hand it seems quite plausible, that an IP54 certification can be obtained and kept intact by using a snap on cover, that can be handled by almost everyone. The sealing needed for IP68 sure is a different piece of cake.

3 Likes

I agree.
IP68 certification, which by the way is pretty expensive, could not be garanteed by Fairphone when the customer opens the device. Warrenty cases would be unsatisfying when the customer states to put it correctly together but anyhow the device is affected by moisture.

4 Likes

Removable battery (a big one if possible), an amoled sceeen, at least 8gb ram, at least 2 gh processor, Lineage OS of course, and a 3.5 mm jack. That would be a perfect phone. Or I should try and find a rooted LG V20…

4 Likes

Investment in immediatey speedy software updates (security). I am very disappointed once more with FP4, again, that they are unable and incapable of delivering each and every android software and security update, let alone in a speedy manner. How can you decide to not invest into your staff or service contractor to professionally deal with your premium and major software stack, called Android. :frowning:

3 Likes

@abittner It could be worth collaborating with CalyxOS developers since they’re already delivering updates very quickly and are going to support the Fairphone 4.

4 Likes

Why not. alternatives are always welcome

But they are already collaborating with eelo, Murena, /e/OS or whatever they are calling themself at the moment.
Good or Bad? Who knows…Must everybody declare for itself.

But it would also be in my sense if there would be more alternatives than only this one.

1 Like

Same as my wishlist for the “4+” and what I hope Fairphone and the rest of the repairable smartphone industry will wprk towards as a whole:

1. Adding back a 3.5mm headphone jack would be nice, but I can live without it since I have other devices at my disposal when i just want to sit and enjoy music from my favorite playlist for an hour. Also the fact that my “daily driver phone” is the one I dedicate to using when I’m out around town and firing off quick calls, emails, or texts so making the switch to wireless earbuds won’t be too bad.

2. A “standard” OLED/AMOLED, LTPO OLED (idle refresh rates at 1-10hz to preserve battery life & display longevity), or miniLED IPS LCD display (least likely since this is only seen in Apple devices right now, but nonetheless a good compromise between OLED & current IPS LCD displays) upgrade module whichever is most viable to source ethically & sustainably. 60hz would be fine, but a variable refresh rate up to 90hz or 120hz would be appreciated as well.

I know that burn-in is a common concern in this community, but as Linus Tech Tips put it that’s most likely to happen if a static UI element is present on-screen indefinitely and if the display is pinned at maximum brightness for most of the display’s lifetime. Both those factors is why OLED burn-in is so much more of an issue in desktop monitors and TVs.

On phones standard features like sleep timers and adaptive brightness help to maintain display health. Newer features like variable refresh rates (say between 30-60-90-120hz depending on the activity and type of application) and ultra-low refresh rates on LTPO displays should preserve the longevity of pixels even further. My personal gripe against current IPS LCD stems from the fact that I’m almost too used to the improved sharpness and infinite contrast to go back after having used OLED for over 5 years. I sincerely hope that I can upgrade to a Fairphone 4+ or 5 that sports an LTPO OLED or miniLED in the coming years.

3. Telephoto Camera Module to replace the wide angle with a 3X or 10X telephoto. This one’s pretty self-explanatory.

I just think it would be a super neat have the option to swap the wide-angle camera module with a telephoto module since I find myself using it pretty frequently during outdoor adventures and travelling. Specialized camera modules like an ifrared sensor for x-ray/thermal vision, “mantis shrimp vision” (interpreted UV & polarized light), and LIDAR would be really cool offerings as well, but those seem like uber distant stretch goals at the moment.

4. Interchangeable Core/Compute Module Upgrade ~ this is something I hope Fairphone is taking cues from their modular-repairable laptop cousins at Framework. The main value proposition here is to have the option to conveniently swap in a core module that contains a higher performance CPU/SoC (i.e. Quallcom Snapdragon 768G/778G or Mediatek Dimensity 900/920) as well as potentially more gigs of RAM & on-board storage.

An example of this might look like swapping out the Snapdragon 750G, 6GB of LPDDR4X RAM, and 128GB of UFS 2.1 storage to an upgrade module containing a Dimensity 920, 8GB of LPDDR5 RAM, and 512GB of UFS 3.1 storage. The original core module could then either be kept by the owner as a spare ot sent back to Fairphone to upcycle into refurbished devices or ethically recycled if beyond repair.

I’m aware that replacement core modules have not been sold on the open market for any Fairphone model so far, but doing so would be a huge step in the progress to make modular repairability more accessible.

5. “Build Your Own Fairphone” is another Framework-inspired solution that’s worth considering to realize in a future model.

This stems from the idea that a higher level of customization can be afforded to tech-saavy customers at a similar or reduced cost if the final assembly of the device (phone, tablet, foldable, laptop, etc.) is done by the purchasing individual instead of workers on an assembly line thus both providing both a fun & satisfying activity as well as reducing labor-relate costs since the components are sent directly to the customer.

6. Finally I would like to pitch the idea of forming some sort of hardware standards consortium between repairability-focused OEMs like Fairphone, Framework, Teracube, Shift Phone, smartphone ODMs (Wingtech, Huaqin, Longcheer), and laptop ODMs (Tongfang, Clevo, Compal, Quanta, Wishtron, Inventec) in an effort to establish some degree of interchangeability of parts in between different models and platforms a bit like desktops and hopefully modular laptops too.

I believe this can be realized in smartphones because large phone brands already use nearly-identical components in between their various lineups of devices. Some examples include BBK Electronics which sources very similarly-specced parts in between their Oppo, Vivo, and Oneplus subsidiary brands or how Pocophone devices are mostly rebadged Xiaomi or Redmi phones with a few hardware tweaks & custom Android skins. Cuz almost every phone model from all six brands were designed to specification by the same three Shanghai-based companies.

Another great example is the Eluktronics MAG-15, Schenker XMG Fusion 15, and Maingear Element. All three laptop moldels offered by three different brands sport near identical configuraions of display, CPU, GPU, battery capacity, I/O port layout, cooling solution, and guess what? They’re all based on the same Tongfang design.

What I’m trying to get at is that since the design and individual components between devices are already configured so similarly then eatablising standards between brands for things like camera module housings, connectors between components, and firmware would enable customers to swap certain types of parts
– say cameras, batteries, core modules, and USB-C ports – between models offered by Fairphone, Shift Phone, Teracube, and other brands that decide to integrate such hardware standards into their designs.

I imagine displays, chassis, and rear covers still wouldn’t be interchangeable since brands would still prefer to be able to design unique phones in all different ranges of size, look, and feel.

More about Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs):

• List of laptop brands and manufacturers - Wikipedia
• https://omdia.tech.informa.com/-/media/tech/omdia/whitepapers/handset-odm-industry-white-paper.pdf
• Reflections about rebranded and unbranded electronics | Random thoughts, conocimiento no conocido, yachay mana yachasqachu

Well this turned out to be a bit long-winded of a post, but I hope my thoughts and explanations help form visualizations of what’s possible in the current resurgence of endomodularity – as opposed to Phoneblocks and Project ARA which exibited exomodularity. :wrench: :calling::+1:

12 Likes

Hi everybody,

I love concept of Fairphone :

• easily repairable
  • ethical
  • with a abordable price

I want change my phone by an Fairphone BUT today, I have an Nokia Asha 200 (Nokia Asha 200 specs) and I refuse to buy a smartphone without an physical keyboard.

Blackberry can be a solution but with the end of licence for TCL and impossibility to change OS, it’s a bad choice for me.

Some competing phones have hardware problem or they just ugly (it’s my opinion), and it’s not repairable (or, not too easily as can be Fairphone).

I have see many topics discuss of the #hardwarekeyboard, but in summary, it’s just “add to wish list”, “buy a bluetooth keyboard” or solution is an DIY project.

With FP5, it’s possible to permit to change full display for a display with keyboard at bottom (as BlackBerry) or, with a connector (at behind) to allow a hardware mod for a sliding keyboard ?

Thanks !

1 Like

Yup, personally I could care less about having a 3.5 mm headphone jack on a smartphone. If I needed to connect to headphones or a headset I would use Bluetooth. If you really must have one there is an option available to deliver it via USB C.

Indeed, I agree the protestations about this issue are IMO pointless.

1 Like

What’s the ETA of FP5?

1 Like

Who are you asking??

2 Likes