Technologies for Fairphone 5

Agree. LG had an external battery charger for their LG G4. It was very handy.

2 Likes

Yes as Volker asked ???

Iā€™m pretty sure you know this is a user forum and that you could ask Fairphone officially.

But a guess itā€™s the last quarter 2023 ~ FP4 launch + 2

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure an external battery charger is too helpful. Exchanging batteries always means now calibrationā€¦

1 Like

CalyxOS DEVs got a FP4 officially from FP to port their OS onto it and a testing (pre-beta) release is on the way. Based on A12L. Non GSi

Soon enough

I donā€™t understand what you mean by calibration in this instance?

My experience with an external charger was it was extremely helpful in making sure I always had a charged battery available. I did not need to charge a depleted battery in the phone.

1 Like

The phone needs afaik some time to adapt to a newly put battery to perfectly estimate the battery charging level. At least this is what youā€™ll find here in the forum when you search. This is probably also the reason for several reports of phone batteries lasting longer after some days usage of recently setup phones.

3 Likes

I think that the batteries should have an ID that the chargers should be able to read, so they know which battery are they dealing with. In the case of cameras, you always use the charger, never charge batteries with the camera. But anyway, you can have multiple batteries. So this seems a solved issue, somehow.

1 Like

I would hope so, it may be a question to put to official support ?

Main reason for me to buy a new phone: Camera. Ideas:

• Good cameras from the beginning
  • Better and prolonged options to switch to newer, improved cameras
2 Likes

A Google Pixel approach would be better I guess. Pixels used the same sensor for 4 years, which would be 2 FP generations. If they optimized their software defined camera for 2 models at the same time then that would be more efficient and sustainable. No need for new camera modules.

6 Likes

The obsession with the 3.5" jackā€¦ itā€™s not worth hardware real estate due to having USB-C alternatives.

Great ideas thoughā€¦ Iā€™d snatch up the FP5 if it had:
-bigger screen (with smaller bevel)
-pen for drawing
-more RAM and CPU at least current flagship levels
-even bigger battery (external battery charger is crucial, too!)

This should keep us happy for a few years until they have holographic projectors on phones or something.

Modular CPU and RAM is quite a pipe-dream. Iā€™m not sure if that would add to e-waste since the motherboard would likely need to be changed and itā€™s a totally uncharted territory. Not really the field FP is pioneering anyway.

1 Like

Knowing, that the core module is probably the most precious thing to extend its lifetime, Iā€™d still love to be able to reuse the battery. Instead of the calculated footprint, I was buying just a spare one for both FP2 and FP3. I feel the FP3 batteries are reliable enough and Iā€™d love to see FP establishing a battery standard rather sooner than later. FP2-4 already share voltage.

Iā€™d prefer the option to buy a next gen FP without battery and reuse my old ones over an increased battery capacity.

1 Like

Or how about a powerbank gadget to put in old FP batteries and charge any other USB device with its own battery.

1 Like

For me a barometer would be very, very useful. In the beginning, I didnā€™t want to buy a fairphone 4, because it hasnā€™t a barometer, but the rest of the phone is very marvelous. I donā€™t miss the headphone Jack.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum, I see you are feeling the pressure of wanting to understand your environment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My wish about ā€˜technologiesā€™ about a FP5 (but also in general about products I decide to purchase) is a bit more simple.
Let me phrase it this way:

ā€œI have a dream ā€¦ā€

In case of a mobile I want it to be a ā€˜reliable partnerā€™.
This means that from the first day I bought the product it should work as expected, including thoroughly tested and with all base functions to the end developed, QAed and well working.

IĀ“m less interested in various new techs & gadgets that only work under certain conditions or are used during the whole productĀ“s lifetime rarely or (almost) never.

WeĀ“re talking about a mobile phone right ? What could include the base functions of such a thing ? Baking bread ? not really ā€¦ :wink:

From my very own point of view a lot much products (especially electronical devices, cars, software, ā€¦) are pushed into the markets in an unstable/beta development state these days and manufacturers seem to rely on the ones that bought the product as beta testers that can easily deal with a bunch of half-working functions.

I want a product free of growing pains.
If this is not the case I usually stay in a waiting position and watch the scene until it becomes more stable - or even make the decision for another product that seems to have less bugs.
Finally I see this waiting time as a serious reduction of the productĀ“s life time.

My few cents in this discussion ā€¦

Best
DonFnord

6 Likes

I have 2 issues with the Fairphone 4.

1, Itā€™s to large. I think most phones today are just to big. And i hear a lot of friends to complain about the sizes of newer phones.
2, It isnā€™t IP68, for me its necessary for me the phone to be water resistant.

I think something along a Samsung Galaxy Xcover models is a niche that would attract both the ones that appriciate an rugged workphone and the trendy outdoory hipsters thatā€™s into the more sustainablity of the phone. I woulnā€™t mind if the back where attached with screws and some rubber seal, I would even prefer it over the fingernail snap opening as of FairPhone 4. Itā€™s not it changeing your SIM-card or battery something you do not even once a year.

I would make an phone it would have these features, and i would be happy. It would be cool if you could by and Fairphone direclty from the Fairphone ready with CalyxOS installed, once CalyxOS is ready for the Fairphone 4.

• 5" Screen
  • Removable battery
  • USB-C
  • Being able to flash other Operating Systems like CalyxOS or GrapheneOS
  • IP68
  • Dual physical SIM-cards slots
  • 128 GB
  • Micro-SD cardslot
  • Repairable as of Fairphone 4.
  • OK camera
  • WIFI 6
2 Likes

Hmm. I donā€™t think youā€™re going to see certified IP68 capability on many (any?) consumer smartphones. This literally means:

IP6x: Dust-tight. No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust-tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on airflow.

IPx8: Immersion, 1 meter (3 ft 3 in) or more depth. The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects. The test depth and duration is expected to be greater than the requirements for IPx7, and other environmental effects may be added, such as temperature cycling before immersion.

Personally, my ā€˜use caseā€™ would certainly involve changing the battery more than ā€˜once a yearā€™ - I want to be able to pull the back off the phone and swap out the battery whenever, wherever, in a tool-free manner. This is totally incompatible with achieving IP68.

5 Likes

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fth%3Fid%3DOPE.qs1VsZ%252fl3q0fxg300C300%26pid%3D21.1&f=1

and there are lots more

2 Likes