Survey: Fairphone 4 Camera

Maybe introduce a special tag for people to use when they upload their pictures on social media. I already saw that #shotonfairphone is something FP advocates on Instagram. But if you add #shotonfairphone4 to that then you may continuously get a feed of what kind of pictures people take with that FP model and how that looks.

By the way, could you please update the top post to this new deadline? New users then know they can still leave feedback. The deadline in the top post is still in February.

5 Likes

New here!
I bought my FP4 about 10 days ago, so missed the survey deadline. I like to view my pics on a Mac screen and the FP4 pics’ resolution is insufficient for this. I’ve come from a 6-year old LG4 with a 16MP camera and I’m really missing it. As LG don’t make phones anymore couldn’t Fairphone just licence that module from LG?
Apart from the low quality images from the main camera, the video default is poor, over-saturated and can’t replay more than 10 seconds on my Mac.
The 48MP stills option is unable to handle light situations with sky and water and I get an exposure blow-out. For the few times I tried to use it, it also froze the app when being left on for about 20-30 seconds. I avoid it completely now.
I downloaded Open Camera and HD Camera apps for comparison. Both produce similar results - sometimes better, sometimes worse - but at least allow you to adjust JPEG ‘quality’ and allow you to select 100% which gives file sizes about twice the size of the FP ones. I can’t find a menu option that allows me increase the ‘quality’ on the FP4. If this was unhidden and selectable I might at least be able to squeeze a little more resolution out. It’d be nice to have the option anyway.
The advantage of the FP4 app is that it takes the picture almost immediately whereas the two downloaded apps both pause for about a second before taking the image.
The ‘Pro’ option. Well no-one is really expecting it to mean ‘professional’ but so far I’m underwhelmed. I shoot nearly always in 16.9. I haven’t found a way of minimising the controls which means they cover about a third of the right side of the image on-screen. So you can’t use a finger to make the focal point anywhere on the right third of the screen. If there is a way to minimise the pro controls please let me know!
I can see there are other threads about unofficial camera apps and informal ways of loading them up, but that’s all way over my head. Any other ways people have found to make a decent camera out of this phone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, tom

5 Likes

Do you mean such situations, when you say

The 48MP stills option is unable to handle light situations with sky and water and I get an exposure blow-out.
?

I dont see a problem in my picture. is made in 48MP with stock cam.

5 Likes

Moritzw, thanks for posting. I think your camera is working very differently to mine! I attach two evening shots, with the cargo boat for time reference. One taken on the 48MP and one on the standard camera. The standard camera has the light about right. The 48MP is blown out and all the other shots taken on the coast came out like this
Cheers, tom

Uploading: IMG_20220318_181304.jpg…
Uploading:
IMG_20220318_181240
IMG_20220318_181240.jpg…

2 Likes

It seems the pictures didn’t finish the upload. Could you try again?

1 Like

Is this the same issues? If yes is your OS up to date, because it seems it should have been fixed

1 Like

Here are a couple from today. Standard app, all-auto exposure. I don’t think this is a bad camera.

7 Likes

Have you tried indoors photos as well? Especially if people are also moving around? The camera is great as long as the environment is forgiving :slight_smile:

No. I got the phone yesterday. I’m just starting to try the camera out.
But generally, indoor shooting in low light is always a bit of a challenge. You can’t expect that to be perfect everytime. It also depends quite a bit on the photographer.
I have a real camera that I’ll use if I need high quality shots indoors. And even with that, you have to know what you’re doing.

5 Likes

For smartphones this hasn’t been a problem for almost 10 years :slight_smile: The software defined camera features are even on mid range phones good enough to take decent pictures indoors in low light. Of course you don’t buy the Fairphone for the camera, it’s not a Pixel/iPhone. But would be great if they at least align to the level of mid range phones :nerd_face:

Well, you can’t round the laws of physics. For a blur-free photograph, you need a sufficient fast shutter speed. And in low light, that means a high ISO setting. And noise-free high ISO requires a certain pixel size on the sensor. Smartphones have extremely small sensors, compared to real cameras. Quantum efficiency limits how small the sensor can be but there are physical limits to that too. It helps with a faster lens but much faster than F/1.8 is hardly practical in a smartphone.

5 Likes

You’ll be amazed what a Pixel/iPhone can do :wink: The difference of what a Fairphone can shoot and my old Pixel is extreme. It was just aim and shoot with the Pixel, no fancy night mode. Then the difference would be even bigger.

Here’s an example:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fp4-pictures-gallery/78667/22?u=uppercase

OK, that’s not a very low light shot. I’ll try to take some similar evening shots and get back to you.

1 Like

Yes the FP4 image has too much contrast etc. but that image is only half the pixel count of the Pixel 3 so I’d also expect less definition.

Sure pixel count isn’t everything and image data can be manipulated or incorrect, but I image the figures I see are ‘true’ figures :slight_smile:

I don’t understand either why the FP was so horrible. It indeed looks like it has less pixels. But I didn’t change anything. Both phones were used the same. No special stuff done afterwards. Just aim and shoot and this was the result. I have many more pictures like it. But the focus and contrast should be improved by now. This was mentioned by people anyway. Let’s hope and see that it does :nerd_face:

1 Like

Here is an evening shot, taken a couple of minutes ago. I took the same shot with my Olympus camera and the exposure on that was 1/50s, F/1.8 and 200 ISO.

1 Like

And how does it compare to the Fairphone?

Here is another example of being indoors and people are not standing like statues, you get these ghost effects. It’s worth noting that all these pics were shot a few months ago. So things might’ve improved by now. Just saying that improvement is needed and other phones (mid range as well) are able to do better. So hopefully FP will do too.

Another shot,

with even lower light. Now the street lights are on…

1 Like

On this shot, the FP4 holds up surprisingly well. The Olympus has, as expected, better dynamic range. At even lower light, the difference will be bigger. The Olympus can do 1600 ISO with very little noise.

Hi yvmuell - interesting! I bought my phone recently so would expect it to be up to date.
I just found a system update page that says - last update was for Android security 5 Feb ‘Your system is up to date’
Is there another type of update please, if so, please let me know where I should look for it, thanks, tom

1 Like