Stuck in boot screen & could not display the recovery system menu

Hi everyone,

My fairphone 2 doesn’t boot anymore and get stuck on the black screen with the “Fairphone” logo.

• I have tried to wait around an hour but it doesn’t go further and keep stuck on this screen.
  • I have tried to reset it with the system recovery menu (Power & Vol+) but the screen with the open robot and the line “No command” appears during some milliseconds, immediately restart and retry to display the same system recovery screen indefinitely.

What do you suggest ?

Welcome to our community forum. :slight_smile:

Most likely a manual installation of Fairphone OS is what you should try now. Just make sure to check first if any of the buttons seem stuck (i.e. permanently pressed), especially the volume button.

2 Likes

Hi there and welcome to the community!
Does the led flash blue? In this case you are in fastboot mode.
Does taking the battery away and back in change anything?

Once you are on the no command screen, you have to press the power button and shortly the volume up (or down. I think up) button to access recovery. But the fact that it restarts isn’t really normal.

You could take the cover off to check that one of the buttons isn’t stuck for a reason or another.

Whoops, I see that @urs_lesse was slightly faster than me…

Thanks guys

With your help, this is what i have tried :

• I have checked the volume buttons but it don’t think that they are locked…
  • I have booted in fastboot mode : the led slowly blinks blue (3s on & 1s off) :+1:
  • I have donwloaded Fairphone OS 19.11.2 launched the flash-for-mac.command script (i have a mac) and the script see the fairphone & starts uploading system files on it :+1:
  • At the end, i have pressed enter & the fairphone restarts :+1:
  • The fairphone seems to be stuck (since 5 minutes) in the same situation than before (Fairphone logo + powered by Android) :pensive:

I will wait longer (30, 40 minutes) & retry to boot with the system recovery menu…

After an hour stuck, i have tried to restart in recovery mode but i have the same issue :
the screen with the open robot and the line “No command” appears during some milliseconds, immediately restart and retry to display the same system recovery screen indefinitely.

Perhaps you could try to flash TWRP. Or you don’t even need flashing, see #twrpwoflashing.

1 Like

Today i have tried TWRP, i have succeeded to boot in :+1:

I have tried to do a factory reset but it don’t seems to work…
Do i need to do something before try the factory reset ? Mounting some partition ?

Do you have an idea of what could be my next attempt ?

Maybe it’s a clue, but i don’t be able to mount anything with TWRP…

EDIT: After made some search, it’s maybe an encryption issue.

What TWRP version did you install?
Foe encryption-TWRP related, check this topic (don’t know if it can help you though):

2 Likes

Only the data partition gets encrypted, so at least the other partitions should get mounted without all those error messages.
I have never seen a TWRP behaviour like this, I don’t know what went wrong there.

Question seconded.

3 Likes

That was twrp-3.4.0-0-FP2.img so version 3.4.0

Only the data partition gets encrypted, so at least the other partitions should get mounted without all those error messages.
I have never seen a TWRP behaviour like this, I don’t know what went wrong there.

I don’t know what to do :disappointed:

I don’t have much of a clue either. Perhaps you could try installing an older TWRP version. I thought I had seen somewhere that 3.4.0-0 could.be slightly buggy (though I doubt it will change anything). But then, there would be decryption issues as well…
Otherwise you could also try installing another OS like Lineage or /e/. But again I don’t think this is the problem.
A very wild guess: a problem with the core module. Do you have a way of trying another core module (by contacting a #fairphoneangel)? Can you do a nandroid backup through TWRP, that could then be restored on another core module?

I would also try unrelated things like starting without any modules, you never know.

Maybe this works:

2 Likes

I just tried to repair file system but got ERROR: 16 from e2fsck :disappointed:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.