Store my pictures on a sd card

I have FF3 with android 10. I have inserted a SD Card (Sandisc). How can I transfer my pictures (and gpx tracks) to the sd Card? Thank you, Felix

Concerning pictures (photos) taken with the camera app, I recommend to – every now and then – move them manually from the (built-in) internal storage to the SD card. This is better than trying to get them saved directly to the SD card (which might slow down taking photos).

Use a file manager app or go to Settings > Storage to find the DCIM folder (that’s where photos are saved).

2 Likes

Did you format the SD card as external? If you go to Settings > Storage you hopefully will see the eject icon. If you don’t then you have formatted it as internal which often leads to many seemingly unrelated problems.

2 Likes

I’ve never imagined that saving a photo on SD could have impact on taking photos.

I know saving on the internal memory is faster than saving on an external SD but can you please add something more about the price I pay for saving directly to the SD?

I’m thinking of going back to the predefined choice, stop saving on SD and save again on the internal memory.

Ciao,
Max

Please do not do that :slight_smile: It may be a bit slow but the probable downsides are pretty disconcerting.

There are loads of posts of issues that arise with the SD card set as an extension to the internal memory.

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=SD%20%20card

I’m not saying I want to format SD as an internal memory.
I want to leave the SD as it is, an external storage, and changing the camera directory to the internal storage. Now it saves directly to the SD.

Ciao,
Max

Oh yes, silly me :blush:

My procedure since my first experience with the smartphone and the handling of the photos is as follows: I save the photos according to the camera’s standard, which means in the “DCIM” folder and subfolders of the camera. In my experience, this is sufficient for hundreds of photos or a week without a backup. At home, I transfer the photos to the PC. There I sort them into folders. I then copy these folders to the SD card of the smartphone. This way I get the quality, create a backup and the availability on the phone. A cloud service is a no-go for me. There are plenty of other ways to transfer a photo to a third person or place directly after taking it. Some find it cumbersome. For me, it’s maintaining quality and creating a backup. So no direct saving on the SD card, this procedure only causes problems and losses.

2 Likes

I will openly say this is a reasoning on my part, not verified fact. My assumption (and I am sure about this) is that the SD card will always “respond” a bit slower than the built-in internal storage. So there might be situations in which the delayed “response” of the SD card can create problems, for example: You start the camera, take a photo and the SD card needs to “wake up” first (as it wasn’t in use right before you started the camera); or you take an HDR photo composed of several photos in very quick succession. In these situations the slightly slower speed or the need to first “wake up” the SD card could create a bottleneck, a “waiting queue”. Last but not least, as far as I know, I believe it is generally better to write on the SD card in large batches, not in a lot of tiny steps.

Anyone more knowledgeable, feel free to step in and correct me if my reasoning is wrong.

1 Like

I don’t think there is a need to “wake up” the SD card as you say. Once it is mounted, I don’t see why it should be woken up, it is an active storage. Also, in case of HDR, except if you specifically choose to store all photos used for the shot, they should be saved in the RAM and the photo assembled from here before being saved on the storage (and I think most cameras don’t have this an option; I know OpenCamera does).
Though as you already said, an SD-card is simply less reliable and quick than the internal storage of the phone. Nevertheless, it isn’t “bad” to save the photos on the SD-card directly. When listening to music stored on an SD-card, the data is sent from the card to the RAM, from which the music is played. It is just no as quick as sending data from the internal storage to the RAM, but it doesn’t make a big difference (which it does if launching an app from the SD-card). For a photo, it should be the same, there shouldn’t be a problem I think.
Worth mentioning: I use OpenCamera, and save my photos directly on the SD-card and have never observed any problem.

3 Likes

SD card | I think we are at a point where we should compare SD cards. The manufacturing company and the specification of the card can be very different but also very important. The app that controls the card also makes a difference in my opinion.
Wiki has its own pages

Who uses which SD card with which specification and which results.

What do you think?

1 Like

You may like to start a new topic just on querying users under a different category this is not an FP3 issue.

Maybe a @moderators would put it under the Discuss category?

Also if you have an idea of the scope of your query you could set up a poll which would make it easier to understand the results rather that a visitor to the topic having to read all the posts to try and fathom which is preferred.

3 Likes

I think it should be set up like this guide we already have for SD cards compatible with the FP2: ✏ List of compatible microSD / SDXC cards for FP2

IMHO whoever is motivated and has the time can just start. Moving to the right category/turning it into a wiki can be done later.

4 Likes

Were doing it just this moment. :wink:

One entry only so far.

4 Likes

This is always one of my first steps, to enter an SD-Card and set it as the default location to store the photos. It has the advantage, that if the phone should get damaged, the pictures are still available.

The location you can set in the settings of the stock camera app, it is called “Speicherort” in german, which translates to something like “storage location”.

About the storage speed, I never had problems with a slow storage, but you should buy an SD-Card with good specifications like U3 / V30 or faster. It isn’t worth to save on the SD-Card.

1 Like

Agreed, when it comes to quality.
But in my opinion speed is not that much of an issue for a card in a phone.
For music or videos eg my SanDisk Ultra totally sufficient. No need for the Extreme or Pro version; though the price gap between Ultra and Extreme is not that big. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.