Stock fp3(+) (factory reset) boot loop (workarounds in first post)

Hi I’m not sure of the app title but this is an example of one of my removals
-k (keep any data incase I want to go back the the previous version)
–user 0 (remove for the default user only)

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.wellbeing

Yes, just checked, you have the correct app *****.vending :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, made it!!! After a trillion restarts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Jonibhoni, thanks for the advice. I managed to deactivate Google Play Store within the 10sec time frame. Now it disappeared from the app list but the problem remains… Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Yes the problem is some default apps have already been updated, so you would have to use adb, as mentioned above to install an older version.

See post below too

All the details are in posts above

1 Like

Thanks for help. I have no idea what ADB is. I understand that I could try and connect the phone to the computer, but I don’t get how to do it. I have only about ten seconds to manage the phone before it gets back to restart mode.

I use a Mac, so PC instructions are of no use, unfortunately :-(.

Android Debug Bridge

An app on a PC to interact with the Android system

Here’s a link to how I did it on a Raspberry Pi . . .

1 Like

After deleting gms via USB debugging and installing the working APK as described by @Pilo11 here I only had to disable automatic updates in the Play Store App (Profile Picture > Settings > Network preferences > Auto-update apps > Don’t auto-update > DONE)

It works for several hours now and I am no longer stuck in the boot loop :+1:

EDIT: I also deactivated Play Store now, just to be sure. I hope this is enough to prevent Google from downloading the broken gms update - without disabling Wifi/mobile data. I’ll give it a try. At least it’s pretty easy to pull the working APK once USB Debugging is activated.

My FP3 grayed out the Disable button for the Google Play Store… I used the following ADB command to disable it. I had the same problem as everyone else that the phone bricked the next day (today). I reverted again to version 22.43.12 + clear cache and data + reboot.

adb shell pm disable-user com.android.vending

Please remember Google Mobile Service ≠ Google Play Store

7 Likes

The problem seems to be related to Google play services, not the store.

That’s correct, the theory is that the Google Mobile Service causes the crashes and the Google Play Store is responsible for background updating the Google Mobile Service… So we need to downgrade the Google Mobile Service and disable the play store to make sure the current version is fixed. I am not sure if some other background service updates the system services but at least nothing has seem to be updated automatically since I disabled the play store.

7 Likes

I have the same problem since today and hope that Fairphone will provide a solution tomorrow, so I do not have to lose all data!
I would hate to say that it was a bad decision to buy the Fairphone, but this is already the second major issue I have with the Fairphone within 1.5 years. I have not had such serious problems with any other provider!

Hi @Johnny83 and welcome to the forum.

This doesn’t appear to be a Faiphone issue but a Google Play Store update that is incompatible.

Have you looked at the remedies above.

No doubt Fairphone will have some suggestions, but that will take time as they will have to check with Google no doubt.

Hi @BGR , sorry for being unclear.

The things I wrote is just for preventing (!) the issue to arise if you’re NOT YET affected, or to prevent it from returning once you fixed it.

Now in this spot I wanted to send you a nice summary of the problem and the solution and the prevention. With quotes of other people to the important parts of this topic just now. Very nice, comprehensive post actually. But I cannot send my answer, because…

Sorry, new users can only mention 2 users in a post.
Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post.

XD, well…

So, then I’ll just say…

Pilo has the gist:

Find the details spread over the course of this whole topic!

But also do not forget that Fairphone is working on it already! So waiting for a proper solution rather than a hacky workaround is also a valid option…

Right now, my wifes fairphone 3plus works with the workaround (replacing app, deactivating background traffic etc.).

My own fairphone 3 is still working because i did not recieve the broken update for the app till now :smiley:

But how can fairphone solve the problem?

No, unfortunately I do not manage to operate the uninstall button in time. Too little time. I do not have this shortcut that is mentioned. But thank you very much for your hint.
Barbara

1 Like

First ensure you do not have the updates for the Google Play Store enabled then disable or remove the Play Store app.

You can also Uninstall the latest Google Play Services updates, but that only takes you back so far, which may or may not be enough, hence the instructions on how to remove any and install and older one that doesn’t cause this issue

Second I imagine fairphone will sort something out with google and pass on the results with an update

Yes, I realy hope that this is done by FAIRPHONE.

Because there are a lot of FAIRPHONE users that are not aware of debugging and so on …

And for me it looks like a problem with FAIRPHONE - because I can’t find any problems with other vendors!

Thank you!

3 Likes

Yes it’s a difficult situation. Any OS and updates for the deafult OS are run past Google for checks that it passes their tests, some 2 million and counting.

As it only occurs with new updates from Google neither Google or Fairphone could predict what may happen when unknown procedures are introduced, but cleary something was missing and the 2 million + clearly wasn’t enough.

So updates take some effort before Google allow them to be send to the Network carriers for the next set of tests.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, tried the remedies, but so far nothing has helped. I’m using another Android phone now, it works there without any problems. If the incompatibility between Fairphone and Google is fixed, it should go again without us having to reset?

Yes I imagine there’s a bit of to and froing there.