Spotify on fairphone Open?

Hello,
i m pretty new in the fairphone and fairphone open world. I am thinking of installing fairphone open on my fairphone 2 even though i know nothing about coding and stuff.
One question first: is it possible to install spotify with the fairphone 2? I got all my music on there and can hardly think of not having it anymore.
Thanks in advance,
Gloria

1 Like

Hey Gloria, you can have Spotify on FP Open.

But you need to make a few extra steps.

Youā€™ll have to install #fdroid. This is an alternative app store.
In #fdroid youā€™ll find an app called Yalp. Yalp is a front for the Google Playstore that allows you to download almost all apps from Google, w/o having a google account.
From Yalp you can then download Spotify.

Let me know if this is enough information to get you going or if you need more!

5 Likes

thanks Douwe!
I am still in the process of checking if i will install Fairphone Open. I also have an app that i need for my work (it transfers phone calls from the landline to my mobileā€¦) and i dont know if that will be compatible.
Is there any possibility to know if an app is available on fairphone, else than the forum ? I am thinking iā€™m using busted app and petit bambou, 2 other apps i would need on my fairphoneā€¦

Most apps work by default, some need a little more effort. We have a guide for getting apps to work on FP Open: #installanyapp

4 Likes

If that app requires google services, for example push messages to notify you of a call, it might not be worth to switch to Fairphone Open just to install Google Play Services again.

1 Like

how can an app on your mobile transfer call from your landline to the mobile?

There is no such app on your mobile.
If you want your landline to transfer calls to your mobile, you have to set up ā€˜call forwardingā€™ on your landline.

My guess would be some kind of remote control for a professional telephone system or some front end App to phone provider settings.

3 Likes

Maybe you can have this functionality as an app on your mobile. E.g. a proprietary app from the ā€œlandlineā€ phone supplier who sells these ā€œsystem-phonesā€ with many hundreds of phones connected to a PBX (telephone exchange).

3 Likes

I have a FritzBox router and my landline is actually voice over IP. And the router manufacturer offers an app so that my mobile rings on an incoming landline call as long as it is connected to the router WiFi. I mean, that app rings, not the usual phone app. Still I can pick up on landline calls as long as Iā€™m on the same WiFi. Maybe itā€™s something like that?

2 Likes

Technically, that is possible.

See https://www.getsatelliteapp.com/ or simquadrat.de, for example.

2 Likes

At my present landline I go to the website of my provider and there I can set up call forwarding.
As my landline goes over internet, I also have the possibility to set call forwarding in the modem (Fritzbox in my case).

2 Likes

Good point!

Gloria, do you want to be Google-free with FP Open OS or what is your main motivation to use it?

1 Like

hey Ingo and everyone,
thanks for your answers

the app is called peoplefone. It works through internet connection and a home phone number.

my main motivation is not to use google services anymore, or at least as few as possible . I have already Ubuntu on my computer (basic basic use) but there are still some apps i canā€™t think of not using on my phone e.g. whatsapp because all my social network uses it and this phone app, for which i donā€™t have much choice as it is for my workā€¦

If you want to use as few google services as possible, it is also a good idea to install FP Open. After the installation you can just flash the google store without the rest. I guess this is less ā€œinvasiveā€ than with the normal FP OS, and it is also very good for the battery consumption of your phoneā€¦

1 Like

Well, judging by what I found here:
https://dunkelberg.de/p-app
and here:

and here as well:

neither peoplefone-app nor easy-calling-car (that you seem to need in addition) require google services to work.
Therefore all safe on this behalf.

You can try to check the play-store for the apps you can*t live without for their requirements.

1 Like

Hello,

Just to add my own experience. I have a Fairphone 2 running the FP Open OS (that iā€™ve installed straight away when I received my phone) and Spotfiy is working like a charm.

I use both F-Droid and Aptoide as my app stores following only the official ā€œappsā€ for the later.

I find anything I need with these two and remove any app which tells me it needs Google Service. ;o)

Regards,

1 Like

If you are facing technical issue in tuning music and finding its alternative then you should try Bluetooth transmitter, which is audio video compatible and having outstanding performance results.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.