Special Update post-18.02.0

It’s hard to say what caused your blackscreen now, but next time it happens try the blackscreenguide before downgrading your phone.

Thanks for the hint!

Maybe downgrading or updating again to the already applied newest software could be added to the list of solutions? Because it only mentions updating when the Faiphone runs older software :grinning:

This sounds like we should expect performance regressions, which seems logical, seeing that memory timings are tweaked to resolve the issue if I understand correctly. Not that I’ll notice much for the use I make of the phone, unless it’s really significant. But I’m still curious to hear if those who installed the update noticed any of that.

My phone is randomly rebooting once a day also, but it is a bit older than the August 2017 date usually cited for this particular bug: It was replaced on warranty in May 2017. Do we know if there were already affected phones in the circuit at that time, just maybe not in retail?

No, it does not (seem logical). I doubt that there are notable performance impacts. If I understand it correctly, the timing of the memory interface was changed, and I think @Douwe’s “performance” is more about how this update really solves the reboot problem.

I think (maybe @Douwe) can confirm this:
The version number was not incremented because of the needed google verification. If only the baseband is changed, the verification (which costs some days) is not needed again.

2 Likes

A rather basic question: if my phone is (quite a bit) older than August '17 but I do experience random updates, should I install the update or ignore it?

Thanks!

I installed also the special update and i notice the that the battery drains more quickly then before that update … actually I do not get one day usage with a filled battery

If I was you, I would skip this update. The change will be included in the next regular update anyway. And if your FP2 is too old, I’d say it’s unlikely the special update would improve the situation for you.

1 Like

The ‘new’ display modules were already supported since the September update, I think something went wrong during your previous attempt and you can just update again.

2 Likes

Having an older Fairphone 2 of August 2016 I can tell you that the memory update didn’t cause me any problem, I see no difference in behavior whatsoever after the update.

Heya,

So, a day after the update this might be normal? (BTW, this is a brand new replacement battery.)

A super quick drop from 20% -> 5% ->1% | recharging back up to 10% within 10 minutes(!!?)

Back up to 100% within just over 40 minutes. Was never that quick before.

No, that does not look normal.

Yup. I had to ask for myself with the dev team and they confirmed this is the reason. We now need to see if calling it special update was a good idea…

5 Likes

Thanks Ben. It is stable today, will monitor the drain for the next few days.

After doing the special update I had one day with only one reboot and now on day 2 am back to constant reboots, meaning it feels like every five minutes if I am trying to use the F2. This renders the phone basically useless. Battery is quickly drained, Any suggestions?

rebootsguide
batteryguide

thanks, for now I disabled 4g, we´ll see what happens. Strange thing is that mine is an old Fairphone and this just started.

Old Fairphone 2 here, update had no negative effect, so your problem must be unrelated to the update and caused by something else. I had reboots for a while because of badly designed apps like Facebook, maybe it’s caused by some app you installed recently.

1 Like

Disabling 4G down to 3G has stopped the reboots for the moment. No new app that would explain why it started now, think it has to do with the mobile data on a South African SIM card. Thanks for the response!

2 Likes

Yes, this Special Update for 18.02.0 is legit. Sorry everyone for not posting to the forum and for the resulted confusion.

As you already found out:

• The update is only available from the Updater if Fairphone Open 18.02.0 is installed.
  • It is meant to mitigate stability issues in devices produced since summer of last year.
  • The changes will be included in upcoming Fairphone Open 18.03.
  • This only affects devices produced after Q3 2017.

Find the (brief) release notes at https://code.fairphone.com/contentx/2018-02-20_special_update.html (thanks @johannes for pointing this out already)

Also thank you everyone for helping each other to understand our “special” release process.

4 Likes