Special Update post-18.02.0

A higher drain immediately after an update can be normal in my experience.

3 Likes

It somehow looks like if the update also kills the reboots with a extension PCB attached !! :smiley:

@paulakreuzer could you also check this ? That would be cool!!

EDIT: reboots still there …

EDIT2: no reboot since 19:00 (Tuesday), logcat running :sunglasses:

EDIT3: Still working !!

3 Likes

Update was not available anymore.
I guess Ben was right. after recharge battery consumption is back to normal.

The special update was to adjust memory interface parameters for the updated memory package in phones produced in or after Q3 2017.
If you have a phone produced in or after Q3 2017 and missed the special update or something went wrong, don’t worry as this special update will be included in the update coming in March.

2 Likes

The update is still available and will remain available.
You have to be on 18.02 to see it. So in order to update, you’ll have to update… makes sense? :wink:

If you do not see the update, make sure you are connected to a working internet connection (preferably wifi) and reboot the Fairphone 2.

To make sure you have the update installed, you can check the baseband version in Settings > About phone
If the baseband is 4437.1-FP2-0-08, the fix has been installed

8 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Special Update for Alternative OSes (modem files)?

It shows that there’s an update for me, but the version number is lower than what I’ve got installed? Should I still install it?

This is good news! Holding my thumbs, toes, and all the lucky body parts for random reboots going away now.:slight_smile:

Some feedback for this release though:

• Only calling it “Special update” in the updater looks impressively suspicious! I had to go here and look it up before touching anything else. And related,
  • A new update should have a new version number increment. Having different sets of software with the same version number is a great way to create support headaches. Somewhat redeemed by the “Baseband version” but I would’ve preferred the version number people sees and knows got incremented when you did an update. Even if it’s just 18.2.0.1 or 18.2.0b (easiest would’ve been 18.2.1 ofc).

Don’t let this feedback cloud the main point here though: Great work!:))

4 Likes

Before update, i used only 3g, because that would stop the rebooting.
Since update i’ve had my phone constant on 4g. No more reboots.! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

After a couple of hours after updating my new Fairphone 2 to the 18.02. special update my screen stayed black.

Manually installing the binary image “Fairphone OS 18.02.0 (Android 6.0) (~650MB)” using the computer solved the problem for me.

Now the update app on the Fairphone wants me to update to the special update again. But could the dead screen be some problem with the driver of the new Fairphone screens, that comes with the 18.02. special update? Did somebody else experience anything like that?

However thank you so much for your steady work Fairphone!! :slight_smile: :balloon:

It’s hard to say what caused your blackscreen now, but next time it happens try the blackscreenguide before downgrading your phone.

Thanks for the hint!

Maybe downgrading or updating again to the already applied newest software could be added to the list of solutions? Because it only mentions updating when the Faiphone runs older software :grinning:

This sounds like we should expect performance regressions, which seems logical, seeing that memory timings are tweaked to resolve the issue if I understand correctly. Not that I’ll notice much for the use I make of the phone, unless it’s really significant. But I’m still curious to hear if those who installed the update noticed any of that.

My phone is randomly rebooting once a day also, but it is a bit older than the August 2017 date usually cited for this particular bug: It was replaced on warranty in May 2017. Do we know if there were already affected phones in the circuit at that time, just maybe not in retail?

No, it does not (seem logical). I doubt that there are notable performance impacts. If I understand it correctly, the timing of the memory interface was changed, and I think @Douwe’s “performance” is more about how this update really solves the reboot problem.

I think (maybe @Douwe) can confirm this:
The version number was not incremented because of the needed google verification. If only the baseband is changed, the verification (which costs some days) is not needed again.

2 Likes

A rather basic question: if my phone is (quite a bit) older than August '17 but I do experience random updates, should I install the update or ignore it?

Thanks!

I installed also the special update and i notice the that the battery drains more quickly then before that update … actually I do not get one day usage with a filled battery

If I was you, I would skip this update. The change will be included in the next regular update anyway. And if your FP2 is too old, I’d say it’s unlikely the special update would improve the situation for you.

1 Like

The ‘new’ display modules were already supported since the September update, I think something went wrong during your previous attempt and you can just update again.

2 Likes

Having an older Fairphone 2 of August 2016 I can tell you that the memory update didn’t cause me any problem, I see no difference in behavior whatsoever after the update.