Spare Parts for Fairphone on aliexpress

As an (understably) frustrated user just posted a link to a touchscreen(?) for FP2 (only the glass, not the display as such), I searched aliexpress at random for Fairphone.
There really are two vital spare parts sold on that platform for the Fairphone 1.
This stuff - although obviously neither socially responsible nor environmental friendly manufactured - might be a last resort for prolonging the life of a FP1(U):

Display at 23.99 US$ + 4.32 Shipping (quite a few of those parts have been sold to Europe (NL, DE, FR, CH) already, according to the list at the bottom of the page.

We have more other accessories for this phone. Please search in our store. Thanks!

Battery at 6.99 US$ plus 7.79 for shipping.
This battery is sold with a capacity of 2,000 mAh (varying between 1,800 and 2,200 mAh).

Ordering and using those items is at your own risk of course.

But if you have ordered one of those parts, please report your experience here.
If you find any other source for spare parts or other parts, please feel free to add them here.
I will try to make this a wiki.

2 Likes

Isn’t aliexpress basically internet’s black market where you regularly just receive a box with a dead rat inside?

3 Likes

That sounds a little harsh if you don’t give sources :slight_smile: .

Buying from Aliexpress means importing directly from China.
Importing singular items directly from China into the EU as an end customer has its risks, including customs problems (missing CE marking, counterfeit goods), quality assurance problems (prices are low mostly for reasons), and problems with fraud.

I personally would say, only try it if you’re desperate and/ or if you can afford taking a risk.
Else … this article here sounds sensible to me … and the comments to it might be worth exploring …

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/safe-shop-aliexpress/

5 Likes

Isn’t that basically what I said? :wink:

1 Like

Two experienced users over in our FB group ordered and received the FP1 display this way. Seems genuine (apparently including the classic Fairphone star in the top left corner), but comes without the white rim (needs patient hairdryer job to release from old FP1).

5 Likes

If you’re confusing the Dark Net with basically the Chinese version of Amazon Marketplace.
And if you’re confusing regularly being defrauded cluelessly with making a conscious and sensible choice to take a risk :wink: .

3 Likes

…would you rather claim for a living rat for the pay? :rofl:
…or maybe that’s their way of saying “thanks for your order” as free give away…:joy:

If I ever would had received any rat in an international sending, I would sue customs for doing a bad job…:rofl:

4 Likes

Well I ordered a living rat from a chinese pet store, but the forget to poke some holes in the box. :wink:

3 Likes

I ordered a bluetooth speaker from Aliexpress for €3.42 (including shipping!) and it arrived in the specified timeframe ^^ So at least some sellers deliver on what they promise.

3 Likes

:joy: I have to stop on this one as it always makes me lol when reading again.

2 Likes

Well…considering “ali” in Italian translates to “wings” in English maybe they confused a bat for a rat :smiley:

3 Likes

Absolutely not.
In the past two years I bought several items form them and all went fine.
1- They have a ‘third-party account’ in place: the payment goes to AliExpress and the seller only gets his money after the buyer declares to have received the goods in good order
2- I once wasn’t happy with the delivered good (not in accordance with sellers description) and I simply got my money back.

4 Likes

One buyer comments on 17th July 2018 on the display:

Don’t buy. They are 100% selling left-behind products who failed quality checks when they still were in production. I actually bought myself 3 of those display assembly, hoping to fix my Fairphone FP1U. - 1st one : digitizer was dead on arrival. No touch at all. - 2nd one : worked first but had a small notch in the digitizer, which quickly expanded and made lot of false touch contacts. Unusable - 3rd one : LED display has a good bunch of dead pixel and digitizer is (again) dead on arrival. Of course, in every case, refunds are nonsensical as it will cost me more than the refund to send back the pieces to China as the seller requested. I give up now. The cons outbid the pros of the fun of DIY. Just don’t try to buy them.

6 Likes

Another buyer is even confirming this.
It’s always advisable to read the comments, especially the critical ones. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.