Some Fairphone 6 ideas

Pretty cool. I’ve now read that Android 14 will have an improved desktop mode (This is how the "desktop mode" of the mobile with Android 14 will improve - Gearrice). If the fairphone android version follows stock android closely, pairing up a Fairphone with a Nexdock might become a viable option soon.

1 Like

I haven’t heard of this before. Thanks for sharing.

Id love a modular foldable either two screens with a small gap, which would probably be easier to make modular and repairable or the snazzy folding glass screens. I know that’s probably a massive ask but the the galaxy fold just looks so cool

Someone who has been using hardware for as long as I have. :slight_smile:
But a lot of ignorant people in this forum try to talk me out of it.
Unfortunately, the discussion is in German:
nutzung-alter-smartphones-use-of-old-phones

I received my FP5 yesterday, it’s a lovely device, a nice improvement on the FP4 I use for testing.

One thought I did have is that it would be nice to have the option of wireless charging. Older hands will perhaps remember the Samsung Galaxy S5, the last in the line to have a removeable plastic back. This had an optional replacement back that provided Qi wireless charging, via a pair of contacts on the body of the phone. It was marginally thicker than the standard back, so making it optional was a good move.

Perhaps something to think about for the FP6?

GJC

2 Likes

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

There is an official Fairphone statement about wireless charging, when the FP4 was released, see for example this thread:

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick response, and that does make sense.

I suppose that having an easily-replaceable USB port does remove most of my objections to wired charging, now that I think about it. I just need to rearrange the car a bit to make it work.

GJC

The most important product enhancement for Fairphone 6 is that there should be no Fairphone 6 for at least 3 years.

The period between the FP4 and the FP5 was far, far to short. Yes there were reasons (extended support possibilities due to changing the SOC), but Fairphone should try to avoid doing it again.

2 Likes

I guess the two year cycle is the new standard, FP3 2019, FP4 2021, FP5 2023. So I wouldn’t be surprised, if there will be a FP6 in 2025.

5 Likes

I’m quite happy with a model release every other year. There’s no reason you have to buy one, I’ll probably replace mine every other model, i.e. around four years, and pass the old one onto someone else to carry on using.

GJC

8 Likes

The question “why a FPx now/so soon?” is as old as the FP2. Latest incarnation here: Why a new FP5 now?

12 Likes

Our brand new phone come with 10 usb-c port! so now not in 20 but just 2 minute chrage time! wohoooo!

but sir?
yes?
aint that gonna overload the battery?
uhhhhh…

produt turn out to be a hot mess

It could be designed as a hub. So 2 ports to the same controller. So you would maybe be able to charge and listen to music through USB-C. But since there is basically no space in the FP5 design, I don’t think it will happen. It also will be used not much. The phone can charge up to 50% in 20 minutes and then you’re good to go for another few hours. The netto profit is probably not worth it. The Fairbuds XL does provide you the hybrid usage (cable and bluetooth, but also power your headset through USB-C if your batter runs out).

2 Likes

I would like to have a barometer and a teleobjectif.

I’d love a portable micro wave oven.

7 Likes

Get a FP2! That could already do microwaves up to 5 GHz and gets pretty warm when trying to do too many things at once :clown_face:

3 Likes

I would love to have satellite functionality, this feature it planned to be implemented in future Android versions. It would be awsome to have you phone be useable in remote places for emergancy, and not have to rely on another extra device, such as Garmin inReach devices.

I would be happy i they impoved water resistance and smaller size and most of all improved their software support.

Please make a second screen case like to LG V60, I recognize this may need a new housing but this lends itself to your modularity. This will introduce all people thinking about folsables but concerned about their fragility and cost. I have a V60 and still would be using mine but I broke it and could not replace it.

I personally do not see the added value of a second screen, especially considering the extra resources that are needed (meaning higher environmental impact) and the increased price of such a phone. If it is a niche market, it is probably too risky business-wise for FP to go there anyway…

5 Likes

Almost the same as my wishlist for the “5” and what I hope Fairphone and the rest of the repairable smartphone industry will work towards as a whole (with updates & additions):

1. LTPO OLED or LTPS microLED LCD variable refresh display (idle refresh rates as low as 1-10hz to preserve battery life & display longevity)

Variable refresh rates ultra-low refresh rates on LTPO displays should preserve the longevity of pixels even further. Hopefully the “Fairphone 5+” or “Fairphone 6” sports some kind of variable-refresh LTPO OLED or miniLED IPS display in the coming years.

2. Telephoto Camera Module or LIDAR sensor to replace the wide angle camera.

I just think it would be a super neat have the option to replace the wide-angle camera module by swapping in a 3X or 10X telephoto module since I find myself using it pretty frequently during outdoor adventures and traveling.

LIDAR sensors are also becoming more common on recent iPad Pro and iPhone Pro Max models as well as so a swappable LIDAR module would be useful for those of us doing 3D & spatial data capture for spatial representation, simulation, game development, and other work related to 3D data visualization.

Even more specialized camera modules like an infrared sensor for “x-ray/thermal vision”, an ultra compact multi-spectral red + blue + green + near-infrared sensor suite module (as currently found as a payload option in drones), “mantis shrimp vision” (interpreted UV & multi-axis ultrawide dynamic range polarized light sensor) would be really cool offerings as well, but those seem like uber distant stretch goals at the moment.

The array of standardized camera modules from LG Innotek are a good example of this:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx7BXGYsLOcApAVwUcvF1-xycVkwj4WCLr?si=7uVHsMiLwgkLhEmN

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxtwaqxpTMH0nPuKFC-b_9DeKIl1GVCN9d?si=HcImiHbNXTNfdrmX

3. Interchangeable Core/Compute Module Upgrade ~ this is something I hope Fairphone is taking cues from their modular-repairable laptop cousins at Framework. The main value proposition here is to have the option to conveniently swap in a core module that contains a higher performance CPU/SoC (i.e. Qualcomm Snapdragon 7 Gen3 or Mediatek Dimensity 8200/9200) as well as potentially more gigs of RAM & on-board storage.

An example of this might look like swapping out the Snapdragon QCM6490 (a slightly modified Snapdragon 778G+), 8GB of LPDDR5 RAM, and 256GB of UFS 3.1 storage to an upgrade module containing a Dimensity 9200, 16GB of LPDDR5X RAM, and 1TB of UFS 4.0 storage. The original core module could then either be kept by the owner as a spare or sent back to Fairphone to upcycle into refurbished devices or ethically eRecycled if beyond repair.

I’m aware that replacement core modules have not been sold on the open market for any Fairphone model so far, but doing so would be a huge step in the progress to make modular repairability more accessible.

4. Expandable Form Factor: Fold n’ Roll?

Probably not in the “Fairphone 6” (2025?) but maybe the “7” (2027) and hopefully the “8” (2029). I imagine major improvements in battery technology like mass market availability of solid-state cells --allowing either the same internal volume/thickness allocation for 2-3X the capacity or 33% to 66% less internal space allocation (power cells that are half as thick) – as well as noticeably more durable ‘ultra-thin glass’ and further optimizations to hinge designs and more compact display-extending motors to enable such a form-factor while maintaining a sub-$1000 price point in a base configuration SKU with such features.

5. “Build Your Own Fairphone” is another Framework-inspired solution that’s worth considering to realize in a future model.

This stems from the idea that a higher level of customization can be afforded to tech-saavy customers at a similar or reduced cost if the final assembly of the device (phone, tablet, foldable, laptop, etc.) is done by the purchasing individual instead of workers on an assembly line thus both providing both a fun & satisfying activity as well as reducing labor-relate costs since the components are sent directly to the customer.

Dual-USB4 or USB4 + 3.5mm headphone jack chassis anyone?

6. Finally I would like to pitch the idea of forming some sort of hardware standards consortium between repairability-focused OEMs like Fairphone, Framework, Teracube, Shift Phone, smartphone ODMs (Wingtech, Huaqin, Longcheer), and laptop ODMs (Tongfang, Clevo, Compal, Quanta, Wishtron, Inventec) in an effort to establish some degree of interchangeability of parts in between different models and platforms a bit like desktops and hopefully modular laptops too.

I believe this can be realized in smartphones because large phone brands already use nearly-identical components in between their various lineups of devices. Some examples include BBK Electronics which sources very similarly-specced parts in between their Oppo, Vivo, and Oneplus subsidiary brands or how Pocophone devices are mostly rebadged Xiaomi or Redmi phones with a few hardware tweaks & custom Android skins. Cuz almost every phone model from all six brands were designed to specification by the same three Shanghai-based companies.

Another great example is the Eluktronics MAG-15, Schenker XMG Fusion 15, and Maingear Element. All three laptop moldels offered by three different brands sport near identical configuraions of display, CPU, GPU, battery capacity, I/O port layout, cooling solution, and guess what? They’re all based on the same Tongfang design.

What I’m trying to get at is that since the design and individual components between devices are already configured so similarly then eatablising standards between brands for things like camera module housings, connectors between components, and firmware would enable customers to swap certain types of parts
– say cameras, batteries, core modules, and USB-C ports – between models offered by Fairphone, Shift Phone, Teracube, and other brands that decide to integrate such hardware standards into their designs.

I imagine displays, chassis, and rear covers still wouldn’t be interchangeable since brands would still prefer to be able to design unique phones in all different ranges of size, look, and feel.

More about Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs):

List of laptop brands and manufacturers - Wikipedia
https://omdia.tech.informa.com/-/media/tech/omdia/whitepapers/handset-odm-industry-white-paper.pdf
Reflections about rebranded and unbranded electronics | Random thoughts, conocimiento no conocido, yachay mana yachasqachu

I hope my thoughts and explanations help form visualizations of what’s possible in the current resurgence of endomodularity – as opposed to Phoneblocks and Project ARA which exibited exomodularity. :wrench: :calling::+1:

5 Likes