Software update: FP4.TP29.C.0101.20240121 - Big Camera Update

It is out and the question as usual is: Did you make any experience with this update, yet?

Havent seen the UI myself yet, from what I have read it seems its the same now as th FP5 one which I guess would be a real improvement…

Yes, the camera is massively faster. The rest I couldn’t test yet.

3 Likes

I wonder if some of those camera updates will trickle down to third party apps/custom ROMs…

4 Likes

I’ve just installed the update and rebooted my phone. The upgrade went without a bit of pain.

The camera app starts fast, it responds quickly to gestures and clicks, and from my first impression, it seems it has improved quite a bit! Clicking the zoom level now makes sense: it jumps you to the next zoom level. Also, I’m happy to see a ‘pro’ mode where I can toy around with white balance, iso level and shutter speed.

5 Likes

Update went flawlessly. Camera performance improved significantly. EIS now works. @mthmulders these options existed already before.

6 Likes

One thing nobody noticed so far I think, but finally the stock camera does not require Google photos to view images from the in app button

15 Likes

That may be good news for users of de-googled custom ROMs who use the FP stock camera. I will test it under CalyxOS (Android 14) as soon as I get my hands on the apk

4 Likes

Great camera improvement - thank you, FairPhone!

It finally seems that I can use the camera as expected and there is no more reason for “Please take the pictures with your mobile phone, mine doesn’t work very well…” :+1:

(Easier to access) Panorama and pro mode are also very welcome!

Mirko

9 Likes

I’m also mostly satisfied with the camera update (have been testing it for a few weeks already in beta). I just find the new UI less intuitive - there are lots of icons that appear and disappear under various conditions and which have no textual description…

1 Like

Oh well, I might just have overlooked them before. At least they’re easy/easier to find now :slight_smile:

I have not really tested this yet, but the first thing I noticed is that it doesn’t seem to be possible to select shooting modes (e.g. “action”) anymore, but must hope that the AI will automatically select the best settings. I am curious about the results.

yeah, would be nice if someone extracted it after installing that update!

1 Like

Assuming its the FP5 app, it works quite well, just recently this was detected as snow scene :thinking:

1 Like

It actually is. But the icon for manual selection appears only sometimes. This is one of the feedbacks I gave FP in the beta, but nobody seems to listen.

1 Like

I think you mean the AI detects a scene and then you can click on it to change it?

1 Like

It also seems to fix another issue:

1 Like

Yeah, I just noticed that, too. Unpredictable (dis-)appearing of icons is really not a good UI decision. But maybe the details of the new camera app should be discussed in a separate topic.

2 Likes

As this update is mainly/only about camera I find this difficult, as long as its not a real bug you seek help for… Also I expect something official be posted tomorrow, so would ask to wait with further topics for the time being as this will be difficult to seperate properly.

Btw it seems Portrait mode is missing.

Benefits compared to FP5: HDR can be deactivated in Photo Mode and there is a e.g. B/W Filter.Option

I’d love to say my upgrade went flawless (as it has been in the past) but my camera app stays black. I’ve already cleared the camera app’s cache and rebooted a couple of times but no dice, it’s just black. :frowning:

Camera itself works if I use something like whatsapps for example. Any tips?

1 Like