Software update: FP4.TP29.C.0101.20240121 - Big Camera Update

Since the update my phone is rebooting all the time. Comes back on with entering only the phone acces code, not my SIM-code. Phone is getting hot and slow and can’t use it. Ticket already entered at Fairphone.

Have you also alrady deleted the cache? I would delete cache and storage of the app, and storage are not pictures just settings. Def. Reboot.

If this does not help, check in safemode dic:safemode

Do you use a SD card? If yes how it is formatted?

@rio

The new software update is great. There’s only one feature I can’t find: it’s the RAW format. I have previously recorded this with the Google Pixel app and was hoping to also find it in the updated Fairphone camera. Does anyone know anything about it? Thank you again for the update!

3 Likes

What a surprise! The new update for the camera really blew me away. I’m one of those people who only uses smartphone cameras to take photos of IKEA stock number labels. I’ve never had a smartphone that shoots so quickly. Really cool. Great work Fairphone! You’ve made a great smartphone even better :). Thank you!

2 Likes

As mentioned before, I’ve cleared the cache and storage multiple times but no dice. Safemode also didn’t work. Also, I’m not using an SD card.

This might be unrelated but another symptom just popped up. I joined my first google meets call this morning and after about 20 seconds the phone just died with 57% battery left. After a reboot and joining the call again the same happened. The third time I tried it it was hooked up to a power source and that was fine. I’m currently running a test while joined in another google meet session with my battery currently at 60%, let’s see if it happens again. I’ve never seen that before…

1 Like

For reference:

4 Likes

Yes, it not possible to set a Scene-Mode unless the AI as determined one and shows an icon we can tap on.

1 Like

It seems to fix also the Problem with WhatsApp Pictures. If i would take a picture with WhatsApp before it did not always function propperly.

The Update seems to fix that also
Thanks for the Update Fairphone :+1:

1 Like

Sorry if this seems slightly off-topic.

Do you know if I should be able to use some/all of these files to get the new Camera app installed on /e/OS?

I tried installing the APK in your last link, but I get an error that the “app isn’t compatible with [my] phone”.

At the moment, there’s been no word from Fairphone on when we’ll get the new Camera on 3rd party OSes like /e/ :cry:

1 Like

At the moment it isn’t directly installable without further work, there seems to be a required library missing.

It’s beeing discussed in this thread :point_down:

5 Likes

I guess thats not a bug and how it works, so whoever does not like it better open a feature request.

Here a macro test. This new camera is really great!!!

6 Likes

I have the same issue after the update.
Maybe its critical to mention that i had a gcam backport on the phone, but even after uninstalling the gcam backport, deleting cache and settings and rebooting the phone. The fairphone camera stays black. Using the camera in Signal or other apps is still possible.

Is support reading these forums? Otherwise I’ll file a ticket with them.

On a side note, is there any supported way to do a rollback? I’d very much like to use the camera as is without needing to go through whatsapp or something.

1 Like

No you must open a ticket.

Not without data loss as I assume your bootloader is locked. I would use another Cam App for the time being

4 Likes

I honestly don’t notice any difference. So I have to keep a distance of about 15cm in front of my object to make a “macro”. I think the built-in macro function refers to a shutter speed, aperture and ISO level. I don’t think the scene profiles have any effect on focus etc. Otherwise the camera produces usable pictures. But you shouldn’t expect it to produce images like a 35mm sensor. What I miss is a bokeh mode. That would be really cool. But that’s not a criticism, but rather a wish :slight_smile:

That sounds like you are using the wrong lens :thinking:

The wide-angle lens is meant for macro shots and you can almost touch an object with that one and still get a sharp image.

5 Likes

Not to be a smart ass, but I’ve never seen a Marco lens that is wide-angle. That would be a contradiction in terms. I think you get better results if you understand that it’s not really a macro. Take a picture in high pixel mode and crop it. This usually gives you better results and also no strong distortion due to the wide-angle curvature.

1 Like

The FP5 has a super macro mode that explicitly ask you to use wide angle when you get closer to an object

3 Likes

Why? You can buy those, and extension tubes let you mix and match however you want :man_shrugging:
Macro is more about minimum focus distance rather than focal length, what lense you use comes down to what effect you want to achieve.

You do you, I’m only telling you that the wide-angle has a shorter focus distance.
I don’t expect great “macro” photos, that’s what proper lenses are for, but if I need a quick close-up of something I’d rather have a little distortion than the noise trying to squeeze 48mp out of such a little sensor produces.

2 Likes