Software update: FP4.TP1V.C.073.20230905 | Upgrade to Android 13

Downloading just now. Hopes are up. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

There’s a tiny red dot in the top right of the CAMERA app icon (both on home screen and in the app drawer). Was it there before or is there anything new indicated this way?

As I’m playing with the automatic brightness at the moment maybe a little UI feedback: It’s really hard to distingush the two colors of the small button that indicates wether the automatic brightness is on/off (at least in dark mode) imo.

Screenshot_20231002-192750_1

Screenshot_20231002-192655_1

5 Likes

Might depend on “your button colouring” , mine are light blue turning light rose grey and it seem to be better visible as in your example

2 Likes

I’ve never knowingly changed the default. Maybe ensuring that the active and the passive colour are not too similar for each (automatically selected) colour scheme would be nice.

4 Likes

Thats influenced by your wallpaper and you can just change it, since the upgrade even better. “Off” is always light grey so this does not change

6 Likes

I managed to find an okay-ish accent color in the Wallpaper settings that more or less mitigates this problem.

So, the update is installed. But where do I find these ‘themed app icons’ and ‘new media controls’?

For the icons navigate to ‘Wallpaer > Wallpaper and Style > Themed Icons’:

On my device not all apps are supported yet though, so it leaves a weird speckled pattern of differently colored icons among the uniformly themed ones.

For comparison:

3 Likes

That is a mistake imo. Maybe a feature to keep some minimal amount of contrast for all colors of autogenerated color schemes could be added in a futire update. Its not critical in any way, but would be nice to have imo.

I can see the Dark Theme toggle, but not the Themed Icons.

Hmm, it does say beta underneith. I might have set some developer options to show these features. Not sure.

Well, it’s the first item mentioned in this thread, so I’d expect it to be there regardless.

Does QuickStep support themed icons? Or should I read the what’s new as: “We’ve added the themed icons options (for launches that support it)”

2 Likes

For both features it said something along the lines of ‘usable by supported apps’ in the explanatory text displayed before the update was installed iirc. So in both cases its more like a framework provided by android that will only become active if an app implements features using it.

As for the media controls I guess it refers to those controls that appear in the slide-down menu when you play some audio/video. If I play some audio or video file from wikimedia within firefox the background of these controls now consists of the wikimedia logo, as it is probably interpreted as the ‘album cover’ in this instance. Same goes for the lock-screen.

I have yet to figure out what they meant with the moving stuff though. I imagined that to be equalizer-like when playing an audio file.

Do you use QuickStep or an alternative launcher? Maybe QS doesn’t support themed icons

I see it with the standard launcher

Curently Quickstep is active. I did however recently enable some stuff (such as app-pinning, the experimental free-form mode, etc.), so it’s not unreasonable to assume that it’s connected with one of the options I enabled.

I doubt this as I see it without having experimented with those settings and they are disabled for me

1 Like

The “Wallpaper and style” screen crashes if I have a live wallpaper currently active. I was only opening it because of the mention here so I can’t say if it worked before.

Everything else is going well for me and the brightness dimming issue is finally gone.

1 Like

Pleasantly surprised that I received the upgrade just now.
My provider is Youfone on the network kpn (Netherlands).
Upgrade went smoothly. My leancher Lean Leancher and all my icons are still in place.

1 Like