Software update: FP4.SP28.B.065.20230420

What? Solution other launcher? great solution instead of fixing the problem

1 Like

As much as I wish they could remove the Google bar, I donā€™t think they can. I think itā€™s a requirement by Google if they want to use the Play Store on their phone.

2 Likes

@anon64862762 It seems a lot of people here are not comfortable with changes ā€œFP has nothing to do withā€ - i.e. which come from upstream Android. Would it be possible to structure future release notes so that it is clearly discernible which changes are just pulled from upstream (like Material You) and which are FP-specific (like camera fixes, proximity sensor etc.)? I think that might help cool down the reactions.

2 Likes

This is false. These are not upstream bugs. They are working fine on other phones. Android 12 is by the way old, bugs like these didnā€™t even happen when I used Android 12 beta on my Pixel 3. The bugs you see on a FP shouldnā€™t happen.

1 Like

What is your problem with gesture navigation andbNova launcher? For me it works well, bit maybe I am missing something hereā€¦

2 Likes

Excuse me what problem, is it something you donā€™t like? How was Fairphone to know that and what ā€¦ you really think they are going to change the default for everyone because some donā€™t like it.

I donā€™t like it either but I bought the Fairphone because of their concern for the miners and factory workers [fair trade stuff] not because of google ins and outs ~ I can circumvent that but Iā€™m not going down the mines even for better wages and working conditions.

3 Likes

Good morning,
Thank you for making the new security update available. The Material You feature was required, but again, as is typical for Fairphone, it was implemented only half-heartedly. Another item on the ToDo list of problems that will probably never be fixed with Android 12.
The worst thing is that the AptX audio problems still exist even in May.
Itā€™s so ridiculousā€¦

There is a very simple rule common to many industries.
Faults are processed first.

Then letā€™s hope for the next updateā€¦ like every monthā€¦

3 Likes

I will remind all defenders. this is a phone for 580 euros, not a Chinese non-name for 200 with aliexpress. Itā€™s a shame for such updates and bugs. the screen is twitching. Widget appears and disappears. the sound is disgusting. The brightness dropped as the phone warmed up. People write about it, but there are no corrections, itā€™s much worse and all this for 600 euros! This is not serious guys!

6 Likes

That is not a correct way to look at it. It costs to have the production process more sustainable.

I ended up with comparing the FP4 to 300 ā‚¬ phones after some weeks of use.
(But regarding Android ā€˜feelingā€™ /predictable ā€˜plain vanillaā€™ Android 12 usability even a 180 ā‚¬ Nokia G22 outperforms the FP4 easily.)

4 Likes

Mainly the home gesture (quick swipe from the bottom). If you or on a secondary home screen/page (i.e., no the primary one), the home gesture should get you on the primary one. The same should happen if you are in the recent apps view.

Quickstep (the default launcher):

• The home gesture works as intended.
  • The recent apps view simply blurs the wallpaper.

Nova:

• The default home gesture is set to search. That wouldnā€™t be a problem, you can change it. But it takes multiple swipes to actually invoke it. So far I have not managed to get it even once on the first try.
  • Sometimes it takes two swipes even in the recent apps view.
  • The recent apps view has gray background.

Lawnchair:

• Basically the same as with Nova (except the fact that you cannot modify the home gesture action).

Were you actually able to get it to work consistently on the first try? In my experience, when I compare it to Quickstep, itā€™s just annoyingly unresponsive.

1 Like

The problem is fixed and works with third party launchers.

2 Likes

A lot of the complaints here match similar issues with other manufacturers. Nokia is poor for updating and was one of the reasons why I stopped using them. Samsung are slow to update their flagship phones once a new model has been released. Look at the forums ignite once a new OS version has been released to see. Oppo, etc and the list goes on and on. If you want a phone to be updated daily weekly/monthly buy a Pixel or iPhone. I know this from previously owning a phone with them.

5 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Material You not in FP4 version of Android 12?

S20 still gets monthly updates and got Android 13 in January. Maybe itā€™s an outdated argument? They seem to have improved.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/security-updates

Nokia is transparent and following a 2.3 and a 3.4 they keep what they promise, G22 is on Android 12 april patch, but got an updated kernel 5.4 (comparing it to FP 4 on 4.x same subversion as march)
And the phones mentioned arenā€™t even close to flagships.

If itā€™s changed then fair enough but I remember Samsung taking a long time to bring new OS updates (ie 12 to 13 and so on) Letā€™s see what happens when they launch the Fold 5 with A14 and how long it takes for A14 to follow through to itā€™s predecessors.

1 Like

They made big promises to maintain updates for 3 years and OS updates in the beginning and then failed to keep up. And I donā€™t remember saying that Nokia,Pixel and Oppo had flagships in my post?

1 Like

Please stick to the topic here, which is the current update and not general update ā€œbehaviourā€ of Fairphone or even other companies.

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Material You not in FP4 version of Android 12?

Fonts are also bigger than before with ā€œdisplay sizeā€ set to ā€œlargeā€. Seems like an improvement to me.

1 Like