Software update: FP4.FP4G.A.170.20220920

Yes as you have said, itā€™s in the explanantion in the beginning of the topic and that caveat has ā€˜alwaysā€™ existed, so Iā€™m surprised people still seems to have such a question in the way it is place here ??

Well, yes I know about that statement. But I did not change my ā€œnetwork providerā€ as Iā€™m still using the exactly same SIMs. The only difference is which one I use for the data connection. So my observation was simply that it really depends on that data connection, apparently. At least for me that is news as the quoted statement left room for interpretation in a dual SIM scenario.

2 Likes

Using the same SIM is not relevant to the statement ā€œsome networks/carriers get it laterā€
Just because your SIM got it quickly before doesnā€™t mean itā€™s always going to be like that with that carrier etc.

Itā€™s very relevant in this case, as one of the providers is congstar, which should / does usually get updated immediately. This update was available on day one as well.
(A family member of mine is running stock FPOS with 2 congstar SIMs and Iā€™m tasked with performing OTA updates for them, never had to wait)

3 Likes

This next update is running a bit late, could it be that Android 12 is coming? And some more testing/development was needed? :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Hopefully :crossed_fingers:

Updated firmware blobs for A12, yesss please :grinning:

2 Likes

I really wonder if they will release a public beta first or if they will justā€¦ Drop the full release right away?

There is a group of volunteers that get beta updates as far as I remember correctly. So there should be some real usage testing going on. But not in a public beta, I suppose. But I do hope they will properly test it. I already feel like an alpha tester sometimes :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Just a bit of a downer, but I am a Beta tester for A11 on the FP3 and things are often missed. Itā€™s not like Iā€™m going to spend 24/7 trying out every app and every feature and every attachment, that would take years.

I use the beta OTA to run my ā€˜daily driverā€™ and watch the forum and report any common issues or oneā€™s I can emulate as well as anything I find.

There is no such thing as proper testing

4 Likes

But there is. You can setup a very sophisticated testing pipeline. Thatā€™s also why Google is able to release such stable and fast updates.

I have no idea what kind of pipeline FP has. But I think if the devs use their own work they would spot many things in the first 5 minutes, as we do after we installed an update.

And before you say ā€œthis is a small teamā€, ā€œthey are not Googleā€ and things like that. I have testing pipelines myself at home. And these tools are open-source, so at no cost. Just have a look at the Fedora pipeline, they go pretty far. Even monkey testing of apps, such as OpenSUSE also applies.

I know, these are not Android systems. But Iā€™m sure that Android is mature enough to have similar testing pipelines. There is no such thing as perfect testing, but proper testing for sure exists.

2 Likes

I guess @anon9989719 meant they arenā€™t doing proper testing ā€¦

ā€¦ at least thatā€™s how I read it :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe, I read it as that they do their best already according to @anon9989719 and pushing it further is not possible. Maybe I read it wrong, donā€™t know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it more of the ā€œFairphone donā€™t test to the ability that is comprehensiveā€ and so by default things are missed and the Beta team are a load of user ameteurs, well I mean I am :slight_smile: Iā€™m sure there are a few far more experienced people back stage but resources clearly donā€™t line up with the job.

Either way, Fairphone should start properly testing stuff, I guess we can all aggree on that :smirk:

That stupid little error in the install script, that would have been immediatelly caught, if some had tried to use them even once. And they managed to make the same mistake twice :man_facepalming:
Still not fixed, 6 weeks later ā€¦ :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Just donā€™t like ā€˜shouldā€™

Be really usefull if they ā€˜couldā€™ and
Brilliant if they ā€˜didā€™

At least I didnā€™t have to beta test the mines and production lines, not that I ever intended to, or am going to sign up for that.

Resources are hard fought over and itā€™s an increasingly painful battle for some.

For an error like the one Iā€™m talking about, thereā€™s just no excuse, especially if it happens twice.

Iā€™m not a developer, but even I test my shell scripts before I put them into ā€œproductionā€, you can expect paid developers to check their code, thatā€™s just not professional otherwise.

Every issue that doesnā€™t get found in 5 minutes of due dilligence can potentially increase the load on support several times over. Thereā€™s also a good business argument to be made for testing your stuff.

4 Likes

Guess thats the obstacle of outsourcing development. less control what is done and the developer most likely dont use all the phones they work on, and than a small beta group of normal user cant test everythingā€¦

I cant remember so many major issues with FP2 OS where the development was inhouse, the beta testing available through the forum and a direct contact to the developer through the public bug trackerā€¦

Still I need to come back to small, because I guess that FP just cannot hire and pay the amount of inhouse developer they would need to maintain 3 devices at onceā€¦

2 Likes

Sure, a developerā€™s salary is much higher than that of a customer support employee, but as far as I can tell, outsourcing development and in turn hiring more support doesnā€™t seem to work either.
We all now how long support takes to answer, those are people too, and I donā€™t have the feeling they are working under a healthy / sustainable load at the moment.

There needs to be a push for proper (automated) testing, there are too many issues that just shouldnā€™t happen if you have the right processes in place.

2 Likes

Completely agree there need to be a re-thinking and everything needs to be considered here, because yes I see support staff that is not capable of doing a good job, as most likely the workload is just too high and they cant think out of the box and to get rid, they either Diagnose a hardware issue too fast and forward to Cordon or refer to the forum (best example lately is the BT earphones that were not workingā€¦). Either way its out of there to do listā€¦

Overall thats tricky to get aligned: You need new devices somehow to earn the money you need to maintain older versions for years. With each new device you need more capacities to maintain, so you need even more money. Overall I see similar struggle as Shiftphones hasā€¦ Many devices=no capacities to manage=bad or no updates and so onā€¦

1 Like

You are right, hadnā€™t thought about the multiple device aspect of it.
In that case, I think it would make even more sense to have everything in-house. At the moment there are 3 separate teams working on supporting the different phones and there is probably a limited amount of mindshare between them.
Why should everybody be doing their own little thing if you could save ressources by standardizing some of the processes and sharing expertise, which is way easier if everybody is working in the same ā€œteamā€.
Why isnā€™t something like the FP Camera open source, so the community can help out?

I donā€™t expect things to change significantly, at least not until the next phone, but I think we (and Fairphone as well) can expect the devs to do proper testing, if normal people can find the issues in 5 min of usage, that software shouldnā€™t have been shipped (and the factory images shouldnā€™t increase the likelyhood of :brick:s either).

1 Like