Software update: FP4.FP4D.A.163.20220826

The taskbar is now less thick when the phone is in an horizontal orientation, I think.

2 Likes

Maybe, it should be less thick in vertical mode as well. Also, in horizontal mode, the battery icon is now cut off due to the excessive rounded corners of the FP4. I don’t think it was cut off before, because in YouTube videos it looked normal before. Is it now actually broken? That would disappointing, I don’t think the statusbar was on anyone’s list for improvements, but now it seems to be worse. At least, sure, it should be smaller, but the front camera cut out and excessive rounded corners do not allow that.

Can someone check how the notification bar looks like in landscape mode that still runs the older version? Then we can confirm this. Taking a screenshot doesn’t work. It doesn’t take into account the rounded corners of the phone. I hope it was broken in the previous update as well, otherwise the QA testing of updates needs some improvement.

2 Likes

To be honest, I liked the thicker taskbar. The new, thin version just seems stuffed, too small and doesn’t fit the overall theme of the taskbar. The battery icon isn’t cut off for me. I’d prefer having the old-style taskbar back.

I wouldn’t say it’s broken, but yeah, the battery indicator (or the % sign) is partially hidden. I agree that the status bar was previously extremely thick in landscape mode, but now it’s the opposite extreme. Somewhere in the middle would be fine. Jeez, truly first world problems they are currently trying to solve. :smiley: Meanwhile, the camera API is still intact, as well as many other, more pressing issues.

3 Likes

In my opinion the narrower bar in horizontal mode is a fine improvement. Any pixel that can help fit more relevant content from applications into my screen is a win in my book. I don’t use horizontal mode very often, so it won’t make a huge difference in my life, but I think it ends up being a personal preference and probably one that just takes a little bit of getting used to.

I don’t think anything changed to the bar in portrait mode. The battery indicator and the time was always awkwardly positioned to lose some pixels behind the curves. At least on my screen, with my font/size preferences.

3 Likes

If you don’t use the percentage indicator for the battery then the icon is basically gone. I don’t get why this got passed their QA. And like you mention, there are more important things to fix, that might be fixed with the same time effort. Like this one: WiFi/mobile traffic arrows in status bar

But hopefully a batch of improvements are coming soon. By now I expect them to work on these improvements for Android 12. Let’s hope their QA is more on top of things for that release.

5 Likes

You’re right. I actually have the Display size set to Large, so even in landscape I can see the majority of the icon. But when it’s set to default, it’s almost completely covered.

1 Like

Actually, this is how the status bar was before vendors started to mess around with notches and things like that. The notification bar doesn’t take up much space. That’s why I also never got how the notch and things like that supposedly gave more screen space. Because neto screen space is the same, while there is less room for proper front facing speakers and dual cameras… :nerd_face:

1 Like

I just did the update and watched the status bar closely. I cannot see any difference :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Also not in landscape mode?

No, neither in landscape mode. I actually always had more space between the battery indicator and the border there. Is there a setting that changes this, maybe? I’m not aware of having changed anything.

1 Like

Can confirm. Have the same issue.

1 Like

I mean is your battery icon also almost gone in landscape mode? :slight_smile: Maybe someone can check that didn’t update yet. I don’t think it was like this before.

It definitely wasn’t like that. I use landscape mode while driving and everything (including the battery percentage) used to be visible prior to the update. I don’t have any screenshot for comparison though.

1 Like

As I said: I can see no difference after the update. Maybe someone can provide a screenshot and mark the stuff that changed, because right now I’m really not seeing it…

1 Like

me neither I see the battery icon perfectly along with the number and percentage sign ,nothing is cut. Also in Landscape mode.

Edit: this changes when switching to gesture mode (I never use this normally)

3 Likes

Lol, you’re right. So I bet they only tested it with button navigation. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

and when you turn the FP the other way round, the clock is a bit cut…

1 Like

Was hoping this fixed volte for me, using ice in Norway

1 Like

These update could include more to prolong a device. There’s loads of bloatware, no option for battery care like Sony and Samsung, no option to charge other devices. I do like this phone though