Software Update: Android 11 for Fairphone 3 and 3+

Hey there

FP 3 has issues connecting to 5ghz wifi networks.
Before the last update last week i had the opportunity to switch 5ghz network connecting off via the FP3 wifi settings. That way i always had a stable connection via 2.4ghz wifis.
Since the update last week the option to switch 5ghz connections off is nowhere to be found and the FP3 is connecting with 5ghz networks again. This causes a lot of connectivity issues.

How do i switch off 5ghz networks with the new update?

Thanks for your help

Adrian

Hi and welcome to the community. Thats currently not possible,

I assume you use an AVM Router?

You will find workarounds above like splitting SSIDs or remove autochannel and set a fix channel.

2 Likes

hey there!
thank you for your reply.

for my home wifi:
yes AVM it is. so i will try to split my SSID

for any other wifi:
i am f*cked until the toggle is back in place?
can i make any changes to the fairphone to work around this?
is it better with FP4?

Thank your for your time

yes for all networks you cannot influence you may need to live with it as it is. Reg the FP4 please use the forums search function, or open a new topic to discuss this or get some feedback.

I doubt it as it uses A11 where the problem starts.

As well as using separate SSIDs you can also then select to have one, the 5GHz to select as ‘Automatic’ with the 2.4GHz ‘Automatic’ > OFF

I use an AVM Fritz!Box 7530 and do find the connection dropping frequently but I’m sure that is down to this new A11 set up not the router.

No. The problem is exacerbated with A11 because you can no longer disable 5GHz WiFi in the FP3 but the problem was there with A10 as well. Thread here (again).
The connectivity problem itself (with 5GHz AVM routers) has nothing to do with A11 and everything with the FP3’s stock ROM.

1 Like

It seems to me that it’s much easier to just fix the 5GHz channel to something like 50 in the router settings. I did this and have no problems with it, and the FP3 happily uses 5GHz when close enough to the router.

Are you sure it has to do with the ROM? I tend to suppose it could have it’s root cause within the composition of the antennas in the FP3(+), as lower frequencies work better than higher ones.

Or are the upper channels in the 5GHz band working more reliable on non-AVM APs?

1 Like

It seems to be only the combination of the stock ROM, AVM routers, and higher 5GHz channels (>=106?). At work my FP3 is often connected to 5GHz Cisco routers and has no issues regardless of the channel. Also in the older thread it’s only AVM routers that other users report having problems with.

And regarding the ROM questions, a few posts above you can read this:

3 Likes

Your link refers only to ‘higher’ channels, not the problem mentioned that I replied to, that in A11 there is no option to select Wi-Fi bands ??

That was nothing to do with Android 11 and further more I have no problem connecting to my 7530 until I note I loose Wi-Fi calling frequently since A11 nothing to do with Wi-Fi band or channel.

Will try fixing the channel to see what happens,but as said I have no problem connecting in that sense, I live miles from anyone and so there is no channel interference.

Ok, I missed this information. Thank you for pointing this out!

So, as the reason is not related to the hardware (antennas) but to software, Fairphone should be able to fix it with an update (hopefully, for those who are affected).

1 Like

Why would you want to switch off 5GHz WiFi unless you have connectivity issues? Dropping this setting is only a problem because of the connectivity issues that have been thoroughly documented.

Not sure I understand this sentence. But if your router never selects 5GHz channels above 106 (because there are no other access points in the vicinity using the lower channels) you won’t have disconnects. Lucky you, I’d say. :slight_smile:

After my interactions with Fairphone support (also documented in the “other” topic) I’m not holding my breath.

3 Likes

Here’s something I haven’t seen before the A11 update: the battery now lasts forever! 21h at 95% without charging!

Unfortunately, after a reboot my Fairphone made up its mind and decided the battery actually was at 45% after all…

2 Likes

You dummy, without a reboot, you could have used it for the next 17 days :wink:.

3 Likes

Not sure I said I switched off 5GHz, anywhere, or recommended anyone else do such, nor does the quote you used say anything similar, does it ??

In my case with /e/, I think I never had that option to toggle 5GHz and 2,4GHz.
I just set my router up with two SSIDs, named “SSIDname 5GHz” and “SSIDname 2,4GHz” and then I set up my phone to only connect to the 2,4 GHz one.

Now, my laptop is connected to 5 GHz and all mobiles to 2,4 GHz.
This works very well for me. Another benefit is the extended range and more stable connection (at the price of a somewhat slower network speed for the phones but it doesn´t matter much).

Yes in Android 10 I did that with 5Ghz, but Android 11 is not the same :frowning:

Android version doesn’t matter here. You can choose the suitable SSID with Android 10 and 11 as well.

1 Like