Software Update: Android 11 for Fairphone 3 and 3+

I wonder if other people have this weird thing with the Wifi pulldown menu showing a different connected wifi network than in reality.

I noticed this because I have two wifi networks at home. The FP3+ switches automatically to the other wifi network if the other one is out of range but it still shows up as the connected wifi network in the pulldown menu.
Made two screenshots of it:

Thank you, OldRoutard!
:star_struck: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks Martine for your advice, only those with Fritz!boxes can help at this level of detail :smiley:

A lot of people will be able to manage with 100 Mbps or so. It seems to me preferable to downgrading the Android version.

That’s very useful info too. I was persuaded it’s a hardware thing. So, hope for the Fritzers!

However your second post about wrong Wi-Fi network name is also ROM-related. In FPOS the network name isn’t shown in quick settings (unless there’s an option somewhere?) Were those screenshots from Lineage ?

I do believe it’s a FP3+ issue with wifi5 and Fritz!Box.

Before I switched my internet provider I had small issues on wifi5 with that router. (connectivity with channels, 110 and up.) With the Fritz!box the other devices in my network had no issue at all except for the FP3+

About the quick settings, yes those screenshots are with the stock Android 11 ROM. You have to pulldown twice, 1 from the notification bar and 1 on the quick settings buttons when you’ve pulled down.

There were problems with FP2 as well. Sorry, I’m confused now. Are you saying this is a hardware incompatibility of some sort FP3 / Fritzbox, or are you saying this is ROM/OS - related because you don’t have the problem when you run Lineage on a FP3?

RE quick settings my fault, I’d never noticed the current network name was shown in quick settings. And when I checked earlier, my phone was disconnected (I’ve been working on a Wi-Fi related problem and had forgotten to reconnect!)

However I do see the correct name, but admittedly don’t switch networks at home (or indeed much anywhere else).

Nope. Mine shows FRITZ!box 7530 5G on both

That’s nice. Do you have another router at home to check after the FP connects to it?

I do think it’s an OS/ROM issue on the FP3+ since I don’t experience the wifi5 issue on lineageOS with the Fritz!box.

To be more precise: I don’t experience this issue on LineageOS with the exact same settings on the Fritz!Box router. I disabled the 2.4Ghz band for wifi5.

4 Likes

Not currently, just two SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz

Well, it didn’t. Factory-Reset, still can’t connect. Same useless error message, this time during installtion. Currently trying to reinstall manually, but got stuck at unlocking the bootloader, as windows doesn’t offer me the option to install any google drivers, manually installing them is refused and FP3 is stuck at device state locked in fastboot. This is just keep getting better…

€dit: for some reason, Windows 10 just decided to offer me the Google driver…

2 Likes

Yes, the correct driver for Android & ADB is offered in the standard Windows 10 update interface as an option.

Sokar, it might be useful to know the make and model of your router. Sorry didn’t look far enough back.

Appears to be the favourite :cry:

I use a Fritz!Box 7530.

Some some reason, unlocking the boot loader did the trick. The phone reset and I was able to connect to my 2.4GHz. No idea what changed.

3 Likes

Hey there

FP 3 has issues connecting to 5ghz wifi networks.
Before the last update last week i had the opportunity to switch 5ghz network connecting off via the FP3 wifi settings. That way i always had a stable connection via 2.4ghz wifis.
Since the update last week the option to switch 5ghz connections off is nowhere to be found and the FP3 is connecting with 5ghz networks again. This causes a lot of connectivity issues.

How do i switch off 5ghz networks with the new update?

Thanks for your help

Adrian

Hi and welcome to the community. Thats currently not possible,

I assume you use an AVM Router?

You will find workarounds above like splitting SSIDs or remove autochannel and set a fix channel.

2 Likes

hey there!
thank you for your reply.

for my home wifi:
yes AVM it is. so i will try to split my SSID

for any other wifi:
i am f*cked until the toggle is back in place?
can i make any changes to the fairphone to work around this?
is it better with FP4?

Thank your for your time

yes for all networks you cannot influence you may need to live with it as it is. Reg the FP4 please use the forums search function, or open a new topic to discuss this or get some feedback.

I doubt it as it uses A11 where the problem starts.

As well as using separate SSIDs you can also then select to have one, the 5GHz to select as ‘Automatic’ with the 2.4GHz ‘Automatic’ > OFF

I use an AVM Fritz!Box 7530 and do find the connection dropping frequently but I’m sure that is down to this new A11 set up not the router.

No. The problem is exacerbated with A11 because you can no longer disable 5GHz WiFi in the FP3 but the problem was there with A10 as well. Thread here (again).
The connectivity problem itself (with 5GHz AVM routers) has nothing to do with A11 and everything with the FP3’s stock ROM.

1 Like

It seems to me that it’s much easier to just fix the 5GHz channel to something like 50 in the router settings. I did this and have no problems with it, and the FP3 happily uses 5GHz when close enough to the router.