Software Update: Android 11 for Fairphone 3 and 3+

Everything seems all right! Good job! I really appreciate It!

4 Likes

Actually I would have preferred to see a list of all the known issues (even the small ones) before deciding to go for this update.
A small issue on a feature hidden deep in the Android menu for lots of people may be a major issue for some others depending on their usage.

5 Likes

I just tried the link (the large “- Fairphone OS (Android 10) -”) and my browser offers to download 1.2 GB.
Looks like it became available early :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No 4g since I updated and the 3g stops after some seconds :roll_eyes:

Network : Orange Belgium

Solved with a factory reset.

3 Likes

Had the same problem but everything seems to have come back to normal after a reboot

4 Likes

It’s an in-place upgrade to a new major OS version. It’s nice to see it working out well for users, but nobody can guarantee this.
If it was me, i would (in the following order until something succeeds, hopefully) …

• Turn off the phone (not just a reboot, real shutdown), then turn it on again
  • Reseat the SIM card while the phone is turned off (can’t hurt)
  • Network reset (search the Settings for “reset” and go with “Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth” or similar)
  • Factory reset (search the Settings for “reset”, will delete user data as well as Apps installed by the user and their data)
  • OS install from scratch
1 Like

Problem solved after a factory reset. A simple network reset was not enough.

I updated my previous post with the solution.

3 Likes

Great news, looking forward to install this after a couple of days - just in case some show stoppers come up :innocent:

1 Like

Just a clarification Urs. The word “until” might lead some people to conclude that the manual download is only available for a very short time (up to 13/05 but not beyond).
The article states The Android 11 package will be uploaded no later than May 13th 2022 - in other words it will be available on 13th May at the latest. In fact it is already available (as noted by Ingo) and will presumably remain so for as long as is useful. So don’t panic folks! I write this as I myself had a sudden doubt and downloaded it on general principles.

1 Like

@anon9989719 It did as far as I see also increase the size of the font. Although I have set the font size to Medium and only changed the display size to Large. That might explain it.

Are you sure? The file name is the latest A10 Version, if I remember correctly.A11 Build number on my FP3 is 8901.4.A.0010 (FP3.4.A.0010)

3 Likes

What’s the filename of the file you downloaded?
Right now the download on offer matches the Android 10 filename given on the page. Did they slide in the Android 11 download for a while?

The file is named:
FP3-REL-Q-3.A.0136-.gms-7c69ec7e-user-fastbootimage.7z
so as announced above.
To be honest I haven’t opened it yet, or even done the checksums, I was just seized with a moment of panic.
But you’re quite right, it actually says “Android 10” in big letters. It was late, I was tired.

2 Likes

Can somebody find the “media recorder” app that was announced on the update screen?
Otherwise all worked out of the box.

4 Likes

No I can’t find the icon to record the screen neither, in the quick settings menu (checked for additional icons using the pen as well)

3 Likes

I have now downloaded both the file available (right now) in the Support article and the most recent Android 10 download in Holoserica’s FP3 OS downloads topic, and both files have exactly the same size (to the byte). I guess Fairphone wouldn’t overwrite the previous upload with the newest one. So I would assume the Android 11 installation file is not uploaded yet.

@OldRoutard I have tried to clarify my original post above now.

2 Likes

I have one called magneto that I can’t delete.

On my updated FP3+ the app with this icon is called “Soundrekorder” (German).

Update done, so far so good.
I lost the 4G after the update, but restarting the phone corrected the problem.

1 Like

Installed it a few hours ago and everything seems to be okay. Except for my home screen that was a mess. It turned out that the app lawn chair wasn’t default anymore, after fixing that, no problems anymore.
This gives me the thought that there might be some things to check if they’re not switched back to factory settings.

1 Like