Software update: 8901.4.A.0019.1-gms-edfd6a4e

My problem is with the lowest brightness, which obviously can’t be turned down any further. I use my phone sometimes in complete darkness, and I’d like to do it without waking up my partner (or having to hide underneath the duvet :slight_smile: . Hence also waiting to install this update until after the holidays, as this will be a more frequent issue during this period).

There was one version when the lowest level was just perfect, and yes, I think there were a few times when I was in regular lighting conditions and couldn’t see the screen (but I had managed to increase brightness), so I can see how that would be a problem for some people. I like the idea someone posted on this thread of having a choice of opting in (or out) of having the maximum dimming option available. If that’s technically possible, that’s a win for everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No doubt possible but just extra work that Fairphone probably don’t want to get into. Have you tried the ‘dimming’ apps, I noticed somewhere mention of such?

Here’s an example I’ve just found

thanks, yes I have, and I was very happy to be able to get rid of them when better dimming was implemented! :wink:

As mentioned above, there is a safety issue. But also, because it’s an app then - for example - if you restart your phone it won’t kick in until the apps are up and running (which requires you to open the phone, ie - interact with a bright screen). And various other bits where it is not as good as an incorporated screen dimming.

But looks like I will have to reinstall it… ~sigh~

2 Likes

I guess it was just a human error. When selecting the category, Industry and Products are next to each other.

Of all the topics tagged “softwareupdate” only this one was in the Industry category when I checked. I’ve moved it over to the Products and now all are in the same category, see Topics tagged softwareupdate

6 Likes

I don’t want this brightess change. The FP3 always had too bright of a screen, making it really annoying at night - and software that does black overlay doesn’t really help much than actually lower brightness.

Also I just randomly had a screen popping up with “factory reset”? I didn’t voluntarily install the update yet, could it have installed itself over night or something?

1 Like

The photo you posted actually indicates you are two versions (0016.6 → 0017.3 → 0019.1) before today’s update.

Concerning brightness: Why don’t they just put a relative min/max setting (if need be in the developer settings), relative to the absolute hardware limits? Everyone could set their preferred limits and be done with it for good.

4 Likes

It’s taken years fiddling with this and I’m sure they have a lot of more important things to do that make extra code for a ‘small’ number of people.

The photo was from another user that I’ve linked in my description.

I’m now one version behind. Will update to this one that makes minimum brightess shitty but hopefully that will avoid data-loss/factory reset.

All you’re doing at this point is literally gate-keeping. If you look for initial reviews of the FP3 “high minimum brightness” was definitively one of the critics. Same with the charging LED that just burns your eyes at night.

2 Likes

Maybe you could quote that as I’ve never seen such and anyway hopefully you will find the change minimal and not be very upset.

All the best

Updated a few days ago and so far, so good - everything works as before. Phew… :grin:

1 Like

Since you are bringing up screen dimming apps again, I’ll demonstrate to you now one of the major problems (screenshots):

One with and one without screen dimmer. The screen is not really more dim, it’s just a gray overlay. It dims the brightness somewhat, but also makes it harder to read on the phone, because everything just becomes, well, gray.

Also, for the screen dimmer to work, you have to essentially give permissions to everything including reading everything you type (passwords) and full access to your phone. I don’t want that and others don’t want that too, for obvious reasons.

Please don’t mention screen dimmer apps as a solution for the brightbess problem. They are a work around, but a very crude and annoying one.

5 Likes

Yes I can imagine if you have to give permissions for the app to use this and that you may worry.

Yes clearly the use of an app is an alternative, or a work-around as you put it.

However putting a grey filter on is like wearing tinted sunglasses, and as long as it not a coloured one then I would imagine all the pixels that are ‘lit’ will just be dimmer, which is what pretty much happens when the brightness is lowered,

Which come back to the permissions issue. I’ll try one and see how I get along. Which one did you try?

The screen shot you show is really dim, maybe at that level you would have to increase the brightness a bit, but then a screenshot on a PC in daylight isn’t very ‘real’

As for not mentioning screen dimmer apps ~ given there are a few people who complain about the issue, and that this is a user forum, it seems only reasonable to offer such ‘work arounds’ which may at least suit some people of at least make the phone easier to use in the dark for those with sensitive eyes.

I’ve just installed ‘Dimmer’ from the F-Droid repository, will let you know how it works ~ tonight.

Well I’ve just tried it in the day, it works in some senses, in that it works. The app is 7 years old and I didn’t get the scale to work, but it’s dark allright I could just about see to opperate.

1 Like

An option would be to set maybe a limit to the min brightness possible when using adaptive, brightness that would require a manual adjustment for extreme dimming.

Hi, just wondering if anyone on GiffGaff in the UK is having problems with the GiffGaff app not working properly since the FP3 software update? I’m trying to work out if this is connected or just conincidental, the main problem being that I can no longer see details of my goodybags and usage via the app. I’ve just logged into their website and everything is working fine there so it is either an app or phone issue.

Edit: I had a quick look at the GiffGaff community discussion and there was nothing obvious there so I tried clearing the data and cache for the app and that has fixed the issue, for the time being at least!

2 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Data connection failure on EE UK after FP3 Update 901.4.A.0019.1

I have the same problem as HPat. Today I installed the new update (8901.4.A.0019.1) and since then I can’t use mobile network. So to me it seems quite clear, the update is the source of the problem.

I’m grateful for any help.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Problems are not that simple.

Have you completely turned off the phone, by holding the power button for 10 seconds and restarting.

You don’t say which carrier you are using as it may be carrier specific.

Which network provider, also EE in UK?