Software update: 8901.4.A.0019.1-gms-edfd6a4e

Just to confirm; I do have the 5th Dec security patch

and nothing untoward, so far, all is good

• Yes this has helped as it was so dark in daylight I could see to increase if it dropped to ‘zero’

• Front camera still has max of 4Mp

• Video on back camera has 4K @ 30fps :: ( Slow-mo works ?)

Guys, all is good.

@anon9989719 is one of our beta testers. Their device got the beta build served to it a couple of days ago.
The beta testers will always see different messaging compared to regular users.

The one oddity is the release timeline. I was not aware we were pushing the public build today. So the beta testers really didn’t get a lot of time to test the build. Sorry about that.

4 Likes

When was the beta pushed?

Personally I want to know where to sign up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wednesday evening, by yours truly.

We can always use some extra hands. Please keep an eye on this thread. We might open it up again early next year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. So one day for a beta test of a new smartphone firmware, got it. I’ll take my time before installing this one. On the plus side, the number of (now involuntary) beta testers will increase substantially.

2 Likes

can we please have a proper place for all the fairphone official or all related projects and partner enterprises and their releases in a common or proper place and forum? why not post the firmware update posts into the help forums of the affected and matching phone? or why are some firmware update posts by fairphone employees posted on the products subforum, and others here in the industry forum? please pin them and please tag them in the forum. thanks.

1 Like

Nooo, the minimal brightness was increased? I was so happy my FP was back to being useable in a very dark environment without any screen dimmer app :frowning:

8 Likes

I will echo the concerns about minimum brightness being increased… Whilst I understand that it can be frustrating when finding the screen brightness is too low to see properly having forgotten to turn up the brightness before going from a dark to a bright place, not being able to manually reduce brightness to a low level in dark places is also frustrating and can make the phone unpleasant to use in some situations.

6 Likes

@Rigol @jdanielp Have you installed today’s update? I am not asking rhetorically. Actually, I wonder if the wording of the change is misleading. And while I have an FP3 here on which I installed the update, I cannot really (because I only ever use that device for testing and not every day) compare to before to find out in which direction the brightness change actually works out.

1 Like

This has been an issue for years.

• Too dark so if using adaptive brighteness In that if the screenbrightness has dropped to a very low level, set manually and even sometimes with adaptive it does not nor cannot be ‘brightened’ in strong daylight as the controls are not visible.

• A brightness that is uncomfortable in the dark as the lowest setting is not what some people want.

Seems fine with this release but some may not agree.

I’ll check very late, during one of my waking periods. As I reside in the woods there is no external lighting, the moon is only a quarter. I have sensitive eyes that I wear tinted spectacles that also adapt.

2 Likes

Indeed I have not updated yet, mainly because of the mentioned change to the minimum brightness. I want to be able to use my FP in the dark (totally blacked out room with a very dim nightlight) without a screen dimmer app (security reasons, also screenshots don’t really work due to the gray overlay).

5 Likes

I would love a solution like an additional check box to get an ultra dim backligt, you know? Those who don’t want the minimal brightness to be too dim could Just opt out (or vice versa).

4 Likes

Sadly I hadn’t given it much thought as I have 2 FP3s and could have updated one and compared : :frowning:

It would be useful to have a one click Undo Update

2 Likes

I feel like having a problem with the data. It was working well until now :cry:

Orange - Belgium

Have you tried another restart ?

1 Like

I hadn’t, but I have now. Fortunately it doesn’t seem too much brighter at the lowest setting, although I think it might have changed a bit… Interested to hear what other people perceive.

Edit: Actually, it is definitely noticeably brighter now that I have had the opportunity to try it a few times over the course of the night. Oh well.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m one of those worried about minimun brightness being increased. And I confirm: after this update, the minimum brightness of the screen has gone up slightly.

I adjust the brightness in manual mode. I was happy with the minimum brightness level before this update, as it allowed me to use it in the dark… and if I was in a bright environment, I have the gesture to turn it up memorised, so it’s not a problem for me. However, I understand that it is a problem for others… in the same way that it is a problem for me not to be able to lower it, in any way, more than what the minimum allows. And this cannot be fixed, neither by going back to a bright place, nor by being in a dark place!

It’s frustrating for me, especially when I’ve been able to turn down the brightness for weeks (on two different occasions), and now I can’t do it again. Because, if I remember correctly, this is the second time an update has lowered the minimum brightness, and the next one has raised it. I was hoping that, after lowering it in the last or penultimate update, it would stay fixed… but no. It’s strange and a bit annoying (at least for me) that these things keep changing three years after the release of FP3.

6 Likes

Thanks Amoun, the problem disappeared after a second reboot.

2 Likes