Software Update: 3.A.0134.20211116

I’m still a bit in the dark as to what and how this agreement is made an operated, but thanks.

Hi, there was one vote from Vodafone Italy that fairphone still works there :slight_smile: has anyone in Germany with Vodafone tried this update yet? And did not receive the Nocaller ID again?
I stopped the update for now “Entwickleroptionen”, but as I read it, it should be made due to security reasons.
vut I don’t get, that RAE writes it would also do something to Carrier things…

1 Like

What means compability to Carrier issues has been enhanced?
I just don’t want the No caller ID issue again.

2 Likes

Hi! Is the minimal display brightness level rolled back (from previous update) in this patch?

Sadly nope, I think that’s happening in the next update?

1 Like

The minimum brightness issue was rolled back on the 0132 (5th Nov) update so that it is not so dark at the minimum setting and the adaptive brightness works as expected. The 0134 (16th Nov)does nothing to either of these issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, but you should not present an incidental failure (a bug, too bright backlit at minimal setting) as achievement. v132 (5. Nov) update did not recover an exact previous state (because now the adaptive brightness kinda works), that is not what the word “rollback” mean ya?.

We folks here are still awaiting for a brightness fix: We were so releived by the update preceding the v132 before the v132 just made FP3 too loud for eyes in a dark environments again. At least now we know the developers are aware. Can we perhaps have a switch, a setting in Developers menu to choose between “the minimal brightness is pleasant” and “the brightness auto-adjustment works” states?

3 Likes

As far as I know this was only a problem for some people, it was not a problem for me or my daughter.

As far as I can tell it is exactly that, a roll back, as the adaptive brightness now works exactly as it did before.

I’m not sure who you are addressing this too, as this is a user forum, and as I said there are not ‘many’ complaints about the brightness. Out of the hundreds of thousands of FP3s sold I can count those with either sensitive eyes or faulty phone regarding the brightness on two hands (I think)

Then you haven’t been paying attention, because many people have complained, from the release of the phone to the latest update discussions, that the minimum brightness setting is too high.

3 Likes

Well we clearly disagree on what the word ‘many’ means. Note I put it in quotes so as not to be definitive. Let’s put it another way I imagine there’s if there is 20 then that equates to 1 in 10,000 users. I would call that not many.

If it were 200 ??? ~} really ~ it would still be 1 in 1000 and
even if it were 2,000 it would still only be 1% and I would say that is not many.

And whether that is down to sensitive eyes or faulty phones isn’t known in any case let alone in each case.

The first thread about this problem from October 2019, Lowest brightness is too bright, gathered 4.1k views. Many people were looking for a solution to this problem, because the minimum brightnes is just way too high - also compared to like every other phone. I don’t know any other phone that has a minimum brightness of 27 nits.

Have you ever used your phone in complete darkness?

4 Likes

How one defines many or how one is affected by brithness is not the topic here and very individual. This update was just a security patch. FP heard the voices of those having issues with minimal brigthness and is working on a solution.

11 Likes

Hi That topic has 25 posts and referred to Android 9
I live of the grid, in the woods and it’s pretty dark, unless the moon is full and there are no clouds. My main lamp is a 1.8w LED running from 12V about 3 metres away from where I sit, by the stove.

Maybe my age is a factor and my eyes are just not very sensitive, but then again my daughter is about half my age and no complaints.

How do you measure the nit value?

1 Like

I got the update today and am curious if anything has significantly changed besides the obvious stuff that is still in dev work and not out yet.

Hey all,

would love to hear more feedback from people that have installed this latest update - everything still working well? No new bugs introduced?

After the major FP fuck-up regarding the caller ID issue fix I am very reluctant to instantly allow new updates, security issues getting fixed or not…

Thanks!

1 Like

Does what it says on the can for me anyway (i.e. no change of functionality or behaviour). Some people with persisting caller ID problems may see an improvement (though none reported yet AFAIK)
No change to brightness

5 Likes

@anon9989719 I just hope that you don’t work for Fairphone. I noticed several times while browsing the forum that you are pretty persistent in defending the company in terms of denying or rendering unimportant any sort of flaws that “I single customer” experience. And you are so damn good in turning facts over and manipulating the statistics to defend some points of your belief that I simply feel it right to post it here, yet is is an absolute off-topic. Please take it personally. Apologies to the rest of the community.

10 Likes

I am

Ok it’s off topic and there is a place for that, but no problem I do understand it is your personal problem and that you get over it soon :slight_smile: No apologies given none required.

But to clarify any doubt ~ I would not recommend the Fairphone to anyone ~ but that doesn’t stop me from supporting the paths they have made into achieving the Fairtrade gold and the Cobalt Alliance.

However this topic is about the latest update to the FP3 and I have absolutely no problem with it. I recommend anyone you has an FP3 to read the posts about it to know what is happening ~ not much really it seems. It’s a behind the scenes security update.

Your use of the all encompassing ‘we’ did not include me nor I assess the majority of FP3 owners so you are challenged on that. End of or not end of it matters not to me, but thee maybe.

Enjoy, the day, the phone, when you can and that you have a better consciousness from buying into a fairer market. It’s fairer not fair by the way and I have no doubt some people find the screen too bright at minimal settings.

Should you continue to make your personal opinions on me public I will reply next time via the linked topic firstmentioned.

All the best

Right, I can answer my own request now -
gave in yesterday and installed the update and can confirm that so far everything seems to work normal and as expected on my FP3+ :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Ehm, is it just me or is the FP3 depleding the battery faster then befor the update?