Smartlock is unreliable

My “quicker work-around” lasted only a day or two. This afternoon it refused to work anymore (the weekend is near :heart_eyes:). But now even my previous work-around (adding a trusted place in Smart Lock) did not do anything anymore.

I gave up. Disabled security.

Marc

After a Google maps update this week, I tried again. In vain.

Strange that you cannot get it working reliable. Also there remains hardly any response from others. Maybe this feature is not used very much, or others also had to give up after some trying. Another chance to try once Android 7 becomes available.

I remember to have read somewhere here, that due to some missing feature, it is impossible to update the phone from 6 to 7. But I can be wrong. I hope I am!

Marc

Yes, that was the common consensus here on the forum, but we were all wrong:

That indeed is marvelous news, and also much more in accordance with my expectations when I bought my FP2 about a year ago. lovely!

The first thing to try, when it arrives, is the smartlock function.

Nowadays, I let my phone open at home and when I keep it with me, locking it only when I leave it unattended. Less safe, but much more workable.

1 Like

Smartlock (location related) doesn’t work reliable any more on all phones, regardless of make and Android version. Google is even in the process of deleting this functionality in it’s upcoming P-version.
But don’t ask me why, I’m just a messenger.

Google is going to remove this feature from Android as it is unreliable. Supposedly it is already removed, or so I read reports. What LineageOS does with the feature I don’t know; it seems to still work.

That doesn’t mean smartlock at a whole doesn’t work well, but something like Bluetooth unlock is also unreliable because of the nature of Bluetooth.

Not sure why GEO-unlock should be unreliable. It did work fine for quite some time on multiple devices.

Well, Google removed the feature because it is unreliable. And it is unreliable (though differs per phone), especially in city with flats etc. Also, personally I’m a proponent of using _nomap on WLAN to opt-out of being included in WLAN DBs.

There must be more to it. Geo-smartunlock used to work well for me (no flat, no neighbours within 500m), but it doesn’t any more.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.