Slow uploading and disappearing emails

Hi, I have bought a second hand Fairphone 4 and when I open my emails app it takes a while for them to load up and when I press one email it appears then disappears for a split second. Is theta fault with my phone? If so, how can it be fixed?

Thank you
Andy

Hi and welcome, I doubt there is an issue with the phone.

Hopefully you have a copy of the receipt in case you want to use the warranty.

Did you do a factory restet and what email app are you using?

What OS and version are you running.

If you have an SD card ensure it is formatted as portable.

You can try running in safe mode which only disables any custom apps you installed

2 Likes

Hi Andy
As already asked by amoun, can you give some more details please:

• OS version : to check that, go to
    Settings > About phone > Build number
  • Which e-mail app are you using?
  • Have you configured the app to fetch mail using POP or IMAP?
  • Which e-mail provider are you using? Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail or whatever?
  • If you use a web browser to connect to your mailbox, do you see all the mail correctly?

Do you mean that the contents of the mail are displayed, then disappear for a moment and then reappear, or that the contents just disappear after a second or so?
Might you have enabled an option to only show unread mail?

Hi Amoun
Thank you for your reply. Sorry for my delay in replying, I have to sit down for these questions.

The phone was already factory reset. My email app is Proton.

I’ve transferred data from my iPhone 6s which is no longer working to know which OS it was, darn thing died on me.

I have no SD card, which would you recommend?

I can only find alternative modes in Parental control and wellbeing, where should I be looking for safe mode?

Thanks
Andy

The SD card is only important if you have one. Just note for future ref. Never format as an extension to the internal, always format as portable.

Safe mode won’t be appropriate now I know you are using Proton.

Proton is an app you installed which will be disabled in Safe Mode
so won’t help assess Proton.

For future ref again. Safe mode is accessed via initiating at start up.

The question was what is the OS you are using now?
Settings > About Phone > > Android version and Build number.

How long have you had the phone and has this email issue been happening since day 1 ?
Try clearing the cache from the app
Settings > Apps > Proton > etc.

I use FairEmail, you may like to try that to ses if the same occurs

Hi OldRoutard

Thank you for your reply.

• The OS version is B.069
  • Proton email app
  • I don’t know whether I have configured POP or IMAP. I’ve tried following Fairphone to instructions to configure IMAP for emails but the instructions seem to refer settings from a different phone.
  • Gmail, as Google was the only option when I started transferring data

I mean that the contents of the mail are displayed, then disappear for a moment and then reappear.
I don’t think I’ve unwittingly enabled Unread mail only, as I still see opened as well as unread emails.

Andy

Thanks for the above information.

Aha, the OS version is B.069

I’ve had the phone for just a month and this email issue started from day 1.
I have now cleared the cache and the emails seem to be behaving themselves now, thank you.
Thank you for your suggestion to try Fairmail, I shall take a look.

Have a good evening

Andy

1 Like

Thanks for the info Andi.
You were on the latest version of FP4 FPOS but a new one has just come out, FP4.SP2G.B.079.20230624. It may not be available yet on your phone, but keep an eye out for it. Go to
Settings > System > System update

As I understand, you are using the Proton email app, but to access the mail of a Gmail account. Is that correct? No other account, just the Gmail (Google) one?

I rather insist on getting this info correct, as it’s a rather unusual setup. Normally people either use the Proton app to work with their @proton.me account, or they would use the standard Gmail app to work with their @gmail.com account. Or else, like Amoun, they use a completely independent app like Fairemail (nothing to do with Fairphone by the way), often to work with several different mailbox providers.

It’s worth knowing, that the Proton app is designed in particular to work with a @proton.me account, in order to manage special encryption features. Its use with a non- proton.me account may explain the momentary disappearance of the content when you open a message.

1 Like

That’s good. Maybe you could come back in a couple of weeks to confirm.
And keep an eye out for updates!

Hi OldRoutard

You gave me some helpful advice on fixing problems with disappearing emails in July and asked to confirm all was working well after a couple of weeks. I am sorry, I forgot to. I am now having the same problem again which is now affecting my diary. Can you help?

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,
For the calendar, are you using the Proton Calendar app to access your Gmail calendar (in the same way that you are / were using the Proton Mail app to access your Gmail mailbox) ?

If not, could you indicate which app you are using for Calendar, and which service provider for the calendar?

As to the “disappearance” problem itself, can you describe it in more detail? Do all the calendar entries disappear, or only some of them? Do they re-appear later?

Hi OldRoutard

Thank you for your reply. I am using the Proton Calendar app but not accessing the Gmail Calender. Is the Gmail calendar attached to to phone in some way? Is their a way for me to separate my Proton Mail from Gmail?

I am using the Proton Calendar app and British Telecom is my service provider for my calendar and internet on my laptop.

On many apps the touch screen takes repeated attempts to work if not at all. Turning off my phone and re-starting temporally helps.

Thank you

Andy

The Google “Calendar” app is included in every stock distribution of Android, including FPOS running on the FP4. However, as I understand it, you are using the Proton Calendar app, in conjunction with a proton.me account, is that correct?

You may be experiencing a problem introduced when Fairphone made changes to touchscreen responsivity in an update this summer. For more information please see here (it’s a very long topic):

I think you would be well advised to contact official Fairphone support (for more info, click contactsupport )

Yes, I am using the Proton Calendar app with my Proton.me account. The Proton Calendar app is not as easy to use as the Google Calendar app, would the phone work better if I used the Google Calendar app?

Thank you for your help here. Sounds like I am not the only one experiencing problems with using the FP4. I have contacted support and am waiting for a reply.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.