Since update: SIM-cards connection problem

Oh well, that looks quite spectacular! I’m not sure I would downgrade, because I’m afraid I’ll lose all the content of my apps… Anyone experience with downgrading?

Just to record, the problem where SIM cards were no longer recognised happened again to me today.

This happened after a day when wifi connectivity seemed erratic, the phone ran out of battery fast; after it shut down with no power, i charged it all the way up, but after turning on again, “no SIM detected”. As before I can still receive SMS and incoming calls ring the phone, but no mobile data connection.

And the solution that has worked for me this time:

• run phone until it runs out of battery (showing 1%) and turns off by itself
  • turn phone on (surprised this worked! thought it was out of power and only randomly pressed power button)
  • saw phone showed 4% battery and the SIM cards were shown!
  • plugged phone into charge

So now the phone has the SIMs working again, and it’s charging. Hopefully that means all fixed!

Thanks Karen, have the same issue. I noted it arises when we move from wifi to data connection. This said, still seeking a solution as well.

For the record, I have the same problem. Usually I just need one reboot to fix it, and I never needed more than three reboots in total I think, but still it is quite annoying. I am kind of used now to booting it twice in the morning. It gets more problematic when I suddenly realise that the SIM cards are not working during the day…
I will add my experience to the issue on bugtracker, in case that helps finding a solution.

I too since the software update have had issues with no SIM cards being spotted at boot. As others have said, I can receive calls/texts but not make them, it’s clearly a software issue. This morning, my phone was plugged in, fully charged, but off; turning it on and repeatedly restarting still had no SIM cards, but as soon as I unplugged it and then restarted, the SIM card was found fine. Given people above say restarting eventually works, I don’t know that the unplugging was linked to it fixing, but thought I’d just note in case that’s helpful to others.

I have almost the same issue as Laurie, but in my case, instead of not recognising the SIM cards (which used to happen for a while), the phone has moved on to not accepting my (correct!) pin code, and also not accepting my (correct!) PUK code…

Just wanted to thank you for your posts, I’ll try running mine totally drained and see if it works. Weird thing, this!

I have the same problem: SIM card not detected. When I reboot, it sometimes comes back, but not for long. Sometime the SIM icon just disappears; sometimes I get a message requesting me to reboot. I have tried everything in this thread (except the torch on trick - I don’t seem to have a button or power menu and can’t set the torch to come on with a long press). Has anyone managed to get a permanent solution? Does anyone know what is causing this?

Perhaps it is time to get a new SIM card.

Hi Lidwien,
That 's what I did last week, but it seems the problem is getting worse. First I only had the problem that I have to restart my phone 10 times (literally!) before I can give my PIN code, but now I have to give my PIN 20 times a day! And during that time, I’m not reachable, which is a problem because I use my phone for work…
I really don’t know what to do anymore to fix it…

On which version are you now?

You mean which update? I did the last update about a week ago. I hoped it would be better but it isn’t

Is it possible to test your phone with a SIM card from another provider?

I updated my FP2 OS in Feb 2019 since then i have failed to figure out how to get the sim cards to be consistently recognised by the phone without rebooting each time they drop off. I also had several other significant problems emerge immediately after the update that have impaired my enjoyment of this phone although aren’t relevant to this topic. My phone got damaged through no fault of my own here so I feel hard done by.
I’ll log it with Fairphone to add weight to the grievances shared in this thread.

1 Like

We are also experiencing random SIM card dropoffs.

SIM card has been changed at the provider, it’s not the card.

What else could be wrong?

I’ve just obtained a second hand FP2, and am experiencing similar problems. Completely new SIM card that worked for a couple of hours the first time I entered it, and afterwards it only works for a couple of minutes or less before it disappears from my phone.
Taking the sim out and inserting it again makes it reappear for these few minutes so I can check my SMS’

Did a factory data reset of the phone and the SIM-card worked correctly for a day. It fell out again, and I did as usual to make it work again. This time the SIM-card only lasted for an hour and after that it has been back to non-functional.

I finaly found a solution (for me, at least…).
I was fed up with the phone constantly asking for my PIN codes, so I switched them of. The SIM cards do lose connection from time to time, but after a couple of seconds, they are ‘back on trac’.
Also when I reboot my phone, the cards immidiatly connect.

Not a perfect solution, but works fine for me! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.