Simulation of Google Service with microg – Very good solution without google (2017 August)

Simulation of Google Service with mircoG – Very good solution without google (2017 August)

I was searching two days for a good solution for Network based location.
I found it and it works very good. But I found the description on another site (linking not possible) and not here: So I wrote this.
[I´m sure all the details are somewhere here (widespread). But in all I got here completely confused. So here is my attempt to clear it up for next seeker]

If you have FAIRPHONE OPEN and you want no (or less) google BUT you want no problems with location-apps THEN is the name of the solution MICROG.
This is not like “OpenGApps”. It a simulation for the apps with the same behavior like the Gapps, but completely open source. For me only location service was important. But there is more. See “https://microg.org”.

You need ROOT-Access, XPOSED Framework and FROID in a special way.

ROOT
“Debug mode”, approximately 8.entry: “Root acess”,
Fdroid App “Superuser”

XPOSED:
Fdroid >> Install “Xposed downloader”: Load the last file with “…SDK23.zip” [= Android 6]
Shut down FP2, make a “Recovery boot” (Hold “Power ON” and “Volume UP” a long time)
Look for you File “…SDK23.zip” and install (Without zip-signature!). Needs a little bit of time for system-changes.

After that you need “XposedInstaller_3.1.1.apk”.
For me was the download of this (a kind of Master-App for Xposed) in the Xposed-installer-App not possible.
I found it here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

After install, start the app and choose these downloads:
“FakeGApps” and “XposedGmsCoreUnifiedNlp”. [Maybe “RootCloak” too, but this is another …]
Under “Modules” activate this.

Again a reboot and then FDROID:
You have to add a new repository “https://microg.org/fdroid/” and renew the repository-lists. You have to turn-off the normal “F-droid” repository for the time of the installation for microG (There is a conflict with one of the “UnifieldNlp”-apps…).
Look for the apps “FakeStore”, “microG Services Framework Proxy” and “microG Services Core”. Install them.
Activate the original Fdroid-repository and look for
“LocalGsmNlpBackend” and/or “MozillaNlpBackend” and/or “LocalWifiNlpBackend” and/or “Apple UnifiedNlp Backend”.
There are “Sub-Apps” for the microG-app. After install there are not in the normal app-list.
After start of the “microG”-app you can control in the “Self-Check” area your state of installation.
In “UnifiedNlp Settings” you can configure the Sub-Apps (“Backends”). This are the sources for the data. You have to download big data-packets there for offline use or activate online service. I hope there are self explaining.

Test with Fairphone Open 17.08.1. August 2017

This is not complete. And maybe with errors. But I hope it helps a little bit to get things together.
Thanks for all the open-source programmer!

1 Like

A full guide to installing microg actually already exists and can be found as part of the following guide: #installanyapp.
If you feel like something is missing there or unclear, please discuss it here.

1 Like