Should I replace my current FP2 with the FP3?

Thanks for your post, RuthiB - interesting! And glad to hear that your FP3 have proved better so far - because now I also ordered my own new FP3 :slight_smile:

Which methods in combination did you personally use to transfer apps, contacts, messages, settings an all things and who do all of you in here recommend? It seems that I should use a few different features, am I right? I have had this video from the Fairphone Team after asking them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nis1Azdkms0

Thanks!

3 Likes

Congrats on your (upcoming) new FP3 :slight_smile:

For most things I used Google backup. However there are two things for me that it doesnā€™t back up - WhatsApp, so you need to make sure you have it fully backed up from within the app on your old phone, before opening it on your new one. The other is the ā€œphone functionsā€ - texts and call logs. As I mention above, SMS Backup & Restore is a good app for that (you back it up on your old phone, and then ā€œrestoreā€ on your new one).

Make sure everything you can is backed up on Google, including all the pictures you want to transfer, but do note that Google pics saves pictures in a slightly smaller resolution than the original (assuming you took the originals on maximum), so if you need the pictures to be at their very best (for printing in large format etc), save them to your computer directly from your old phone.

Another thing that isnā€™t transferred, or at least I couldnā€™t see how it would be done, is the settings of the apps. So while you can access the data that is associated with your account from your new phone, you will still need to change the settings of the app to your liking. Assuming you didnā€™t stay with the default of course.

For that it is useful to go over the new phone, once everything has transferred, and compare to how the apps are set in your old one. This will also allow you to find any other apps (other than WhatApp) that donā€™t use your google account to backup, in which case you will also need to back them up from within the app on your old phone.

Hope this all makes sense. Good luck!!

Hello, Iā€™ve been struggling with my refurbished FP2 that I bought in June last year. It has really been a case of owning it for the stance, not for performance. I am limping along with it (battery life, slow response, wifi/ bluetooth connection issues etc) ,reverted to using my work Samsung alongside it. So I am really tempted to get the FP3 when I can afford it. I didnā€™t do enough research and review reading last time - Iā€™ve started looking online for reviews this time, but can you guys convince me/ warn me against getting one please? I want to use it for work and home (dual sim, yeay) but can I rely on it? I have a work laptop but once we are out of covid19 (?!) I will want to rely on the one mobile much more. Thoughts please!

Whilst applauding ā€œenvironmental messageā€ that Fairphone 3 usage implies, is it really worth it to potentially make it difficult for business contacts to keep in touch with you? Personally itā€™s weight in your hand plus that all buttons being on left side of phone appear to favour left-handed users is a minus as far as I am concerned. Are you dependent upon Google apps or is there a possibility that /e/ OS might be suitable?

How is using an FP3 making it difficult for business contacts?

Oh, strange, if at all Iā€™d think having the buttons where they are would make it difficult for left-handed users. Iā€™m right-handed and I think the buttons are exactly where they should be.

4 Likes

This phone was definitely made for all users as it is perfect for using with your right hand and us lefties are savvy enough to have grown accustomed to using our phones with our right hand as well. You see, when literally every item you use is not made to be convenient for you, you donā€™t complain, you adapt. This is why most left handed people have zero issues using regular scissors. But, yes, definitely agree that this phone is easiest to operate with your right hand. If that sways you from all the phoneā€™s benefits, this phone is not for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@JensN: whatā€™s the current status? Still using the FP2 or now happy :slight_smile: with your FP3?

Thanks for your response & feedback!

webaschtl

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.