Should I replace my current FP2 with the FP3?

Of course it’s my opinion, I may be mad for all I know, we all might be mad and not knowing it. The Nazis did it, the commies did it, there’s even a term for it it’s called mass hallucination.

I guess I trained myself to care less what everyone else thinks of me and my choices out of practical reasons and I noticed that at the end of the day others don’t hate me that much, in fact with their own busy lives no one has the time to remember that I even exist, let alone what brand of clothing I wear, and if that is so why do we still make the effort? We might be mad.

Oh come now, the “phone” has become an extension of human brain, the closet companion! If you want to get to an individual the sure way is through his/her phone. I’m afraid it is no longer “just a phone” and you know it.

1 Like

That is no counter-argument by any means.
If you prefer, you might call it “just a brain extension”, but that doesn’t change anything.

2 Likes

I don’t like branding either. I have an FP3 now and find it embarrassing with the lettering. On the back I glue a metal plate for my magnet holder in the car and in front I stick a black sticker over the lettering (and over the front camera).

3 Likes

There have been some more comments in that direction but I’ll add my experience.
My FP1 lasted 1.5 to 2 days before charging.
My FP2 lasted 1 to 1.5 days. Towards the end it was more like 1 day and rarely not even that. I guess that had to do with me doing more with the phone.
Now, the FP3 lasts 3.5 to 4 days with the same pattern of usage like with the FP2. For practical purposes I charge every third day in the evening.

I guess it’s not of much help, but here is the information anyway: for my FP2 I think the highest number of reboots within a day was maybe 2 or 3. And I never had to do any repairs. Just got a new battery once.

Fair enough … just be aware that because of the complexity of today’s software, you can encounter a situation in which a factory reset is the way out of trouble on any smartphone, including the Fairphone 3.

Your only hope is statistical. Most smartphone users out there don’t need to do it ever, but then most smartphone users buy new smartphones way too early and thus beat the odds.
I’m certainly keeping my fingers crossed for you :wink: .

I didn’t know people go to such extremes. Or rather haven’t met anyone.

I would go further and state that many people keep all of their brains in their phones/digital devices. Smartphones should not be underestimated as “just phones” in my view.

Judging by the ones I know, you seem to underestimate people, even if they do use their smartphones quite a lot.
But, in the end, that’s just a personal experience and way off-topic.

I want to question your phone-habit. If you only want to “use” a Product without getting more into it and understand a bit, how it works, you will ALWAYS have trouble with ANY phone or gadget. I.E. the battery-life and drain depends on so many things: how bright is your display? Do you charge it very fast? etc. …
Next thing - sync of your data: When you learn and undersdtand, how and where an app (also a camera) is saving your data it’s so easy to transfer things because most of it is already synced in clouds.
I’ve also had a lot of trouble with FP2 (have it since Summer 16),every replaceble part has already been replaced at least one time. But if you get into it a little, you can handle it much better and the things get more useful.
best regards, Konrad

@existentionaut I will kindly ask you to stop your degrading comments about me and kindly stop assuming that you for some reason now have squeezed the real reson out of me in regard to my problem about the printed slogan on the battery - and please keep in mind that my post started with a handfuld of questions, also about the performance of FP3 and how it compares to FP2. As mentioned earlier I would like you to message me in private if you want to discuss my person and motivations for this and that. Right now I am trying to figure out if I should buy another Fairphone before my FP2 soon ends its days.

I would not buy a FP2 and even still consider buying a FP3 if I wasn’t serious about sustainabibity and working conditions (I believe that my massive challanges and frustations with my current FP2 proves this). But at the end of the day I also need a stable phone that works and does not annoy me. I also prefer a simple, minimalistic design for a handfuld of different reasons. So a lot of things have to go hand in hand. I will not buy the FP3 if I can expect the same amount og bugs that I experienced with FP2 - no matter how sustainable it is.

To all you other people who so far have posted serious and interesting comments about the issues that I was asking about: thank you a lot - and please let me know if you have further interesting points to make :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@kfichtner well, I am a grown up man who have used computers. software, hardware for more than 20 years, I have had a number of different smartphones during the last 10 years so I am not a newbie. I just want a stable product that I can count on in my every day life and I prefer to spend my valuable time as little as possible on maintainence, settings, updates and vice versa - all this is administration to me. All that said I am a relatively smart person who knows how to delete apps that I don’t use, know that my phone should not live all its life with the charger in it and my screen brightness is obviously at a minimum 95% of the time.

So… about syncing: please teach me. It doesn’t help me much when you say “if you understood this and that everything would be better for you” - it just makes me feel a bit dumb. Please lead me to the information that you assume would be valuable for me. Thank you.

I can’t give information from first hand experience.
So, it’s just my perception, that I already posted in another thread.

The FP2 was flawed by design.
As Bas van Abel put it in a techcruch article:

With the Fairphone 3 he says the company sought to dial down the “radical” modularity of its earlier crack at the concept — so the result is less of a ‘party trick’ smartphone design, as the Fairphone 2 was (he dubs it a “show off” phone) — and more, well, dull but worthy; modularity as a utility that’s there to enable (occasional) repairs.

“You don’t need the phone to be so super smooth in taking apart to be able to repair it,” he says. “Fairphone 2 goes beyond the idea of repairability. It’s more a show off phone in that sense. And that also comes with risks.”

The FP3 therefore is much more sturdy.
Take the display. While it was a clip-on design with the FP2 it is fixed with 13 screws with the FP3. And - from what I learned in this forum - they started with much less screws, adding one at a time, until the result / stability was as desired.
The FP2 is quite flexible, which leads to it taking bad to being carried in a trouser-pocket. When you move, it is being bend this way and that way, stressing the modules as such and the contacts between them.
When you try flexing the FP3 in comparison, it is a totally different thing.

In the end, there can be trouble with the FP3 as well, since it is a new design. But it is based on the lessons learned by the FP2. So I am quite confident, that the massive flaws of the FP2 have been leveled out.

Possibly at thre price of new ones; but that’s pure speculation! And the forum entries so far don’t justify such speculation. So, this is just a kind of disclaimer “in case of …”.

5 Likes

syncing: every google app you use (photos, calendar, etc.) is already synced (if you did’nt change it in the settings). that means, when you sign in on a new device (even in your PC web-browser), all your data is already there. Also the play-store is synced, so that all your (play-store-)apps will be automatically installed on the new phone. Your data (downloads, documents etc) is stored in Folders, which you can easily get accsess to via your PC and a data cable. And you can also create an account for your browser to get all the preferences, saved log-in-data etc. synced.
greetings, K

1 Like

One just has to keep in mind, that this is only true, for those being registered with Google and having an active account there.

Something, I (and possibly other fairphoners as well), avoid at any cost.:wink:

1 Like

That’s not true. At least not 100%. Whenever I log into my Google account on a new phone/new OS installation, I have to always manually install the apps I want (which basically is also what I want to happen).
I get offered to install some apps “I usually install” somewhere in the play store app. But that only means around 10 app when my all time history of apps is >100. And the offered apps are usually not the most important ones, either :smiley:

YES!

Cut a blank inlay, and put it inside the case . Done : )

My apps were all installed automatically for me when I first switched on the FP3. All I needed to do was log on again to those apps and I noticed for most apps there was also an easy way of doing that. My banking app, for example, asked me to start the app on my old phone and then scan a qr-code, so it was easy!

1 Like

TLDR; The few issues I had with the FP3 has been fixed via updates. Batterylife is increddible. “Change is in your hands” is printed on battery - a black marker or sticker could hide that, would not look terrible though the semi-transparenct cover.

I would buy again.

3 Likes

It sounds like we have a lot in common @JensN :slight_smile: - I too see my phone as a tool which I want to be efficient with minimum input from me, I hate changing phones and computers because I hate having to set up a new one and/or transfer everything. And I was also one of those unlucky ones who suffered quite a bit with FP2 (the never-ending reboots! my god!) and was on the verge of losing my faith in Fairphone as a company.

I’m glad I didn’t give up on them, because I now love my FP3!! No serious issues to complain about, definitely a huge improvement from FP2.

So I’d recommend getting a FP3, and doing so before your current one completely dies, as that complicates (and makes more stressful) the whole transferring to a new phone thing. Speaking from experience :slight_smile:

In terms of transferring info (and keeping things backed up) - texts and call logs are not backed-up/transferred by the regular Google and phone backup routes. For that, I’d recommend an app called SMS Backup & Restore, which someone on this forum recommended to me. Very simple and effective :slight_smile:

3 Likes