Should Fairphone Open come pre-installed with f-droid?

As with any other system or preinstalled app, all the app data is preserved between updates.

3 Likes

Just to throw my opinion in: There is still a strong myth, fuelled by corporate advertising, that FOSS is difficult to manage and “geekish” or “hackish”. FP Open should be designed in a way that makes the transition to FOSS for the average user as easy as possible. I see F-Droid as software management / update utility as an integral part of such an approach. Other things to consider would be a pre-installed offline calendar extension so that people can use the calendar without any warning messages telling them that they need a Google account. We have to make “our” FP Open as easy and beautiful as it can be :heart_eyes_cat:

8 Likes

DAVdroid and ICSdroid would be the way to go then.

Both “offline calendar” and DAVdroid together would probably be a good choice. Thats what I am using and they co-exist on my FP2 peacefully. I know there are lots of people who want to use their phones functionality without the need for any synchronization.

Yeah, sorry, I overread “offline”. I myself am very satisfied with DAVdroid + posteo.de and I wouldn’t want to miss out on synchronization (especially when I modify my phone with Xposed etc., where I can make mistakes… :innocent:).

2 Likes

[quote=“paulakreuzer, post:8, topic:23230”]

Why shall Google have something to say or allow on a non-Google OS ?

They have some say in Android with Google Mobile Services. It’s against their EULA to redistribute it without their approval. I don’t know the exact terms, but @paulakreuzer is right, this could be a problem and Fairphone should not risk getting sued over something like that.

In FP open, this would not be a problem of cause.

4 Likes

Ah OK thanks. I was focusing on FP open only, as F-Droid would mainly be useful to be pre-installed for those using the open OS.

2 Likes

Hi,

I have submitted https://code.fairphone.com/gerrit/27 to include the F-Droid Privileged Extension in Fairphone Open.
Including this is a start towards getting F-Droid integrated.
Just this by itself allows installation without enabling unknown sources even if the F-Droid app is installed on data (i.e. by the user).

7 Likes

I appreciate your initiative.
But just for the record: if you copy the FDdroid.apk into the folder /system/priv-app you also can use it without needing to enable unknown sources.

But it will be uninstalled with every system update.

2 Likes

Having Privileged Extension built into FP Open also means that you can use F-Droid with system/priv-app access while still using verified/locked boot. Privileged Extension also was designed on the principle of Least Authority, so only a tiny bit of code to manage install and uninstall is running at an elevated privilege, while the rest of F-Droid runs as a regular app.

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Testing F-Droid privileged (before including it in FP Open)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Testing F-Droid privileged (before including it in FP Open)

:fr: Si certains ne souhaitent pas F-Droid dans Fairphone Open, un installeur facile de celui-ci inclut dans Fairphone Updater est une bonne idée.

:gb: If some people don’t want F-Droid in Fairphone Open, an easy F-Droid installer included in Fairphone Updater is a good idea.

3 Likes

I like the idea of Fairphone Updater being able to install F-Droid. I’d like to see if I could implement it. Anyone know where the source repo for Fairphone updater is?

5 Likes

Perhaps of interest …

4 Likes

Hi, @eighthave! Nice to see you by here.

Full source code of Fairphone Open OS is at https://code.fairphone.com/

They have a Gerrit instance there. One of the repos is Fairphone Updater. If you can’t find it, I can locate it tomorrow afternoon for you, :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Thanks, I see it now!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.