Several Problems after update to 18.04.1

Hi dear other users,

yesterday I wanted to use my new display and camera. I plugged it in and recognized that it didn’t work because of the old Open OS version. So I used the Updater to install Open OS 18.04.1.
Unfortunately I’ve forgotten, that I have to swipe the Screen during the installation process which I couldn’t do because of my old and broken screen.
After that I did the manual installation using fastboot, as it is explained in the installation guide on code.fairphone.com. And hooray the new display and the camera worked.

After that I’ve tried to reinstall OpenGapps via TWRP which didn’t work. When I try to go to TWRP by starting the phone with pressed ‘Vol-Up’- and ‘Power’-Buttons it shows a picture of an green android lying on the back with an open stomach where you can see something blue inside and a red sign with an exclamation mark. The battery was loaded over 70%.

At the moment there are the following problems without OpenGAPPS:

• No notification bar available.
  • At the bottom bar: only the triangle-symbol works for going back. Circle-symbol for startscreen or square-symbol for changing between apps don’t work.
  • All of my contacts and numbers are lost :frowning: But all pictures are available. Also the chats in Telegram are there.
  • Not possible to get developer options by pressing multiple times on “Build” in Settings -> About
  • Not possible to connect the phone to the computer using MTP.

Is there a possibility to install OpenGAPPS via fastboot or something like that? I hope you can help me because I’m really frustrated right now.

Greetings
Lars

First: Get TWRP to work again.
Follow the “Fastboot Install Method (No Root Required)” section here …

https://twrp.me/fairphone/fairphone2.html

If all else fails, you can boot TWRP without installing it.

Then try to install Open GApps via TWRP again. If that fails, we’ll need an error message or something to work with.
Make sure you install the right Open GApps version … for the current Fairphone Open OS still based on Android 6 you will need ARM - 6.0 - [package of your choice].

Thanks for your support.
As I couldn’t enable the developer options what is needed for the Fastboot Install Method (No Root Required) I used the way to boot TWRP without installing it. That worked and I installed the latest OpenGApps version for Android 6.

Unfortunately there’s no difference then before. The same problems are existent:

• No notification bar available.
  • At the bottom bar: only the triangle-symbol works for going back. Circle-symbol for startscreen or square-symbol for changing between apps don’t work.
  • All of my contacts and numbers are lost :frowning: But all pictures are available. Also the chats in Telegram are there.
  • Not possible to get developer options by pressing multiple times on “Build” in Settings -> About
  • Not possible to connect the phone to the computer using MTP.

And (I forgotten to mention it earlier):

• PlayStore isn’t working. It starts and tells me which apps need to update, but it’s not downloading anything. Says “Download ausstehend” which should be “download pending” or something like that in english.

Yeah, the guide says adb reboot bootloader, but you can simply start or reboot the phone while pressing Volume Down, the phone then starts in Fastboot mode, no real need for adb and debugging mode there.

Seems that the problem isn’t Open GApps.

In what way is the screen broken? Could that be responsible for the bottom bar problems, the developer settings problem and the MTP problem (you would have to swipe from the top down for that in Android 6)?

How old was it? Or more clearly: Did the update perhaps involve the upgrade from Android 5 (Fairphone Open OS prior to 17.06.4) to Android 6? Perhaps something could have gone wrong there …

2 Likes

I’m not sure which version exactly has been installed before. I’m sure it included the Update from Android 5 to 6.
After the update I plugged in the new screen, which functions perfectly. So this can’t be the reason for the mentioned problems.

Ah, sorry, I forgot about that. Boo! me :scream_cat:

If it was me and there’d be no important data without a backup on the phone, I would wipe the phone completely and start from scratch using TWRP (old guides, use the current fp2-sibon-18.04.1-ota-userdebug.zip for that …

1 Like

OK thanks, I’ll try that. Fortunately after the installation of OpenGApps my contacts where available in the contacts app and I could backup them. Because of that a clean install will be the best I think :slight_smile:

Continuing the discussion from :de: FP2 startet nicht mehr:

You said it could take some time. The installation via TWRP went smoothly, but after rebooting the phone it displays for approx. 1 1/2h “Android wird aktualisiert - Einstellungen wird vorbereitet” (should called “Android is being updated - settings are prepared” or something like that). Is this the long time you meant? I’m afraid of getting off the battery, but don’t know what to do else.

It shouldn’t take this long. Did it finish anyhow?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.