Settings > Apps > Files by Google > disappeared!

Dear FP user,
I’m new on smartphone (and directly on FP5). During my first week I got spammed by Google in so many ways, that I did everything to get rid of them and… I think I succeeded.
Let me first tell you what I considered SPAM:
SPAM1. When asking Google (with “Hey Google”) for help, out of ±100 questions, I got 1 decent answer and 99 totally unrelated videos… which very hard to stop.
SPEM2. And even if I succeeded there were several other coming up, which were unstoppable until I choose the “Clear all” at the far left of the multi-tasking button (is that its proper name?).
SPAM3. And afterwards it came back on almost anything I did without ever using the internet (I only SMS, use WhatsApp, and today is my 2nd day I use mail, so yes, now I’m using internet).
SPAM4. I’ve put the DP in "Do Not Disturb”. As soon as I switched it on, I got:

SPAM5. Each time I pressed the “Home Screen” button (also called “app launcher” or “Quick Settings panel”) I got a question to ask for More Google Assistance. SO each time I had to dismiss it before I could get the Home screen. Unfortunately I’ve no screenshot of those obstrusive repeating demands.

SPAM6. I got some strange notifications, See at the bottom in next picture.

The “Files by Google” option in “Settings > Apps” disappeared, after done the following settings:
(1) Settings > Apps > Files by Google > Open by default > Open supported links > OFF
(2) other 2 options: “Add app icons to home” & “Show Google app” all are OFF
(3) Settings > Apps > Files by Google > (Advanced) Modify system settings > Allow modifying system settings > OFF
(4) Settings > Apps > Special app access > Alarms and reminders >
Digital Wellbeing: Not allowed
Google: Not allowed
Maps: Not allowed
Personal Safety: allowed
WhatsApp: allowed

The Result?
Wellbeing, Peace ad calmness, without having to waste valuable time tapping several times to get stop and get of unwanted videos and all those other obstrusive repeating demands from Google.
The main reason for this topic? A probable possible problem occurred:
In “Settings > Apps“ the option “Files by Google” disappeared!
So now I have less options in “Settings > Apps“.

PS: I kept the “App permissions > Google Play Store > Phone > Phone permission” as it is mentioned
”if you deny this permission, basic features of your device may no longer function as intended”.

As it cannot be deleted and only deactivated, thats kind of impossible. However if you want it you should find it in the playstore to download.

Overall you can deactivate all Google Apps and use another app instead, except foe Play Services and Play store.

Much easier then fiddling with all those settings

Thats not the same.

And btw without internet you cant use Whatsapp.

There are always so many words and topics in your messages… well, I’m sure everyone can overlook that… but here in particular, the only important sentence came at the long end:

Just wanted to say: That would have been the only one that corresponds to your topic. In other words, at the end I didn’t even know what this was supposed to be about. Finally, thanks for the new explanation at the end. :stuck_out_tongue:

Correction: You can uninstall Files by Google… own experience. :wink:

2 Likes

How without adb out of curiosity?

This is exactly the question I had to ask myself before reinstalling via the Playstore… and yes, there is no answer yet.

1 Like

@yvmuell
First of all a big thank you for the notion “Statusbar”. To be really sure: it’s the top of the home screen = Operator, HH:MM, inward camera, 3 unknown icons & battery level. And can you do a copy+paste from somewhere, what those 3 icons mean? I suppose the second one indicates the force of (¿phone?) connexion.
Second: yes, WhatsApp needs internet, sorry about that. SO I’m using internet since I start using it (a few day ago).
Thirdly, the most important in this topic: I did not delete any Google app, the lesson of gBoard I deleted was enough… So as you tell me I cannot delete it, how come it disappeared?
I know iI had 30 “normal” apps inclusive WhatsApp. Today I see only 29 (after scrolling down… OUPS swiping down from the home screen).
Here they are:

Q1. How come that 1 is missing? Especially as (a) you say “Files by Google cannot be deleted” and (b) I only used Settings (all clearly shown in the intro. of this topic) to get diminish (and successfully stopped), Google’s SPAM.
Q2. UP to now everything s works fine AND, most importantly: I don’t have those incredibly annoying Google messages anymore. So, if it’s up to me it can stay.
I use all the following:
Clock > Alarm
gMail (clearly from Google)
Files > … > This Week
Keep… Notes
Messages > SMS
WhatsApp

and that’s it. In short they are all, except WhatsApp, the standard apps delivered with the FP5 and If the one missing is the one who caused me nightmares, I’m glad it’s gone.
Just curious what’s its name.
Is there a list somewhere or an image of them?
PS: what does adb mean?
PPS: I’ve got the name “Quick Settings panel” from some important help on this site. Probably I misunderstood. If so sorry, if not, as de’s a developper, he should know “better” [LOL]

@ChlRun: let me clarify.
The first part is about the nightmares I got due to Google’s irrespect. In that part I explain clearly how to get rid of it.
I can’t imagine I’m the only one in the world NOT being tortured by those 100% unwanted and enormously time consuming SPAM
[how did YOU get rid of it? Or doesn’t it bother you at all? And, do you have an idea (cf. previous reply) what 30th app is missing? or are there more than 1 missing?]
The second part is about my question.
About deleting google files: yes, in my first 2 days I deleted gBoard, hoping this was the cause (of that SPAM). This forum helped me to restore it. I should have mentioned it to @yvmuell.
Have a nice day, week, month, year and… hoping to read your opinion about Google’s <(-:censured :-)>

Files is not missing, its in your screenshot.

In your Screenshot Chrome is missing

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to set multiply alarms

@yvmuell: eueuhhh… I’m totally lost. First you say a file is NOT missing (capitals just to make sure what I’m referring to) and next you say Chrome is missing.
But I never use Chrome. So, if Google is using only Chrome (what I can understand), that explains everything and… is my salvage!!! (and one of the settings I changed must have caused to delete that app).
But… I probably found a problem.
See next reply:

@ChlRun, @Lidwien, @yvmuell: I just discovered one problem. I installed WeTransfer, because some video’s cant be send by gMail and… it can’t initialise.
And… am I really the only getting spammed by Google?

PS: I received following message from the Forum site:

• BEGIN OF SITE’S MSG - -
      Rather than several replies to a topic in a row, please consider a single reply that includes quotes from previous posts or @name references.
      You can edit your previous reply to add a quote by highlighting text and selecting the quote reply button that appears.
      It’s easier for everyone to read topics that have fewer in-depth replies versus lots of small, individual replies.
    • END OF SITE’S MSG - -

My question : ** WHAT DID I DO WRONG?**

Your topic is named

You shared a screenshot showing the App Files by Google

So I say

You ask which app is lost (30-1=29) and I say

1 Like

OK maybe I was me who not clear enough:
Explicitly I mean:
In “Settings > Apps“ the option “Files by Google” disappeared!
So now I have less options in “Settings > Apps“.
Thanks for making it clear.
I changed it the description of this topic.

As long as the App is in the App drawer (your screenshot) it cant have disappeared from Settings- Apps

2 posts were split to a new topic: Files and Files by Google

From my side, I can only say that I have installed very few, special apps and am completely free of the SPAM you described… and every cell phone (only 3 so far) was also free of it.

In this case, you can assume that it is not the standard that google chooses to enslave you… it’s more likely to be a setting or rather an external app… :innocent:

1 Like

Following on what @ChlRun said, I could not really grasp what you, @Sono, were describing.

I feel it might connected with using Google Assistant and activating Google every time one says, hey, google, or something alike.
I would never dare having this on.
So yes, I have no unwanted videos or spam

1 Like

It seems to me, that you consider some things as Google spam, that are just parts of the operating system or of certain apps.

For instance, the two pictures you posted as “Spam 6” show a) the system prompt that you just made a screenshot of your home screen (probably by mistake) giving you the option to share or edit this screen shot - and b) the screen you get when you load this screenshot into the Photos app (by tapping on the pencil icon) to edit it (with some one-time bubble explaining how to get additional paid features).

So, it seems that a lot of your “problems with Google spam” might actually be quite useful features that you just don’t know yet.

All your questions in this forum are actually quite eye opening to me - revealing how sophisticated smartphones have become… and how overwhelming for someone who hasn’t used them before.

Even though everyone in this forum is trying to help you as good as we can (and will carry on doing so), I’d really advice you to meet some friends with some smartphone experience and take a few hours with them to play around with your phone together. It will be much easier to learn all this stuff with someone else hands on than by trying to explain everything here…

4 Likes

@mgkoeln: thank you. In the meantime I got more experience and could solve 3 problems myself.

What you call a “one-time bubble” was coming up at least 5 times if not more an hour!!! It made me sick! I spare you the others.

The man thing is they disappeared with all the settings I showed you and the side-effect that the Chrome app disappeared (cf. next note).

ChlRun, @Lidwien, @Meaghan, @mgkoeln, @yvmuell: I restored the Chrome app, and I can use WeTransfer (which won’t start of without it), see the videos on youtube etc. The “Files by Google” settings (in Settings>app”) is still missing, but it doesn’t seem to be of any importance, because almost all Google SPAM too remains absent. So I’m relieved.

> Can someone tell me what’s in the “Files by Google” setting?
> Or in what situation will I need that setting?
> Thank you all for your help.

PS: I’ve removed SPAM7 from this topic’s description because I had doubted its accuracy since the beginning (see personal note above to Lidwien).

Only 1 change since i restored the Chrome app:
SPAM5 (home button) did return but… occurred only one (** Phew!)… up to know**, before it happened EACH time!