Searching tool on home screen

I am very disappointed in the fact that I cannot change the home screen, I would like to remove the search bar and the date… Neither are removeable… why ??? I wish I did not purchase this product… it is not as good as they keep stating.

1 Like

You can install a different launcher. I used Nova for exactly those reasons ~ easy

See this

https://apkpure.com/nova-launcher/com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Please use the search function to see the same request multiple times

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=search%20bar

Asked that your post moved so here it is. :blush:

6 Likes

How can I remove the search bar from the home screen

You can’t if you’re using the stock launcher. You can use an alternative launcher, such as Lawnchair.

2 Likes

Problem is I do not want any Google on my phone… I do not use it or need it. I was under the impression that the FP4 was Google Free… Am now so disappointed in this phone, that I will soon be selling it… For me it is rubbish, sadly.

If you install a Google-free alternative OS (such as /e/OS, CalyxOS, etc.) it’s definitely Google-free, but the default OS is definitely not Google-free.

I’m not aware of any marketing that implied otherwise.

6 Likes

Additionally, if you don’t want to go through the hassle of installing it yourself, you have an option to buy FP4 directly from Murena with /e/OS preinstalled.

2 Likes

Thanks, this sounds li8ke what I am looking for, but no where on their site does it have a link to root this phone. I do not really want to pay another £700 for another mobile… Do you know a link to where I could root this phone ?

Hi @Paul_Fungii

If you root the phone and|or install any other OS you cannot avail yourself of the warranty unless you reinstall the default FOS. Except for maybe a flaky back cover or a camera drops out etc.

You can however
a) Instal Nova launcher to dispense with the Google search option
b) use adb to remove many Google apps, including the Google Play Store for example

all without rooting or voiding the warranty

1 Like

You dont need to root to install another OS

Check the #oslist for links to all available systems

5 Likes

That sounds good, will have a go… Thank you…

I do not seem to be able to get phone to go into fats boot mode / I press start and volume dwn buttons and hold, all tht happens is Fairphone logo across cebtre and powered by Android logo at botton, ,the phone vibrates, then screen goes blank, few seconds later, again the logs,and vibrate and nothing then it comes again… I let it do this ten times… nothing… I then held the buttons and when the logos appeared i let go and the phone seemed to start as normal ? So how do I get Fastboot mode ?
FP4…

not sure which instructions you followed, here are those for the FP4

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405858258961-FP4-Manage-the-bootloader

Alternatively, you can **disconnect** the USB cable, **turn off** your Fairphone, then **connect** the cable and hold the **volume down** button. After a few seconds, you'll see the **fastboot mode**.

Edit: I think it was not yet mentioned: better do not lock the bootloader again after flashing the other ROM

1 Like

nope exactly the same… logo appears, phone vibrates, then logo disapears then comes back phone vibrates and again disappears… tried this 10 times, nothing…

Did you try via ADB (described in the linked article)?

I read about it, but seems a lot to do… I am not a programmer… But still says I need to get into fastboot mode… which nphone will not do. I have developer rights, turned on debugging etc etc… but when switch off, then hold volume down and hold power button, nothing happens other than phone just tries to restart as normal…will not go into fastboot mode ?

ok I think you will def need adb/fastboot set up, else I’m not sure how you want to install another ROM?

Correction for compleness: I just learend the FP4 is supported by the e/OS easy installer,which as far as I understand would not requires to have ADB/fastboot platform tools downloaded (only fastboot driver must be up to date, however those are 2 different things)

I tried it on my FP4 and shutting down, attaching the charging cable and then pressing the Vol-down button, boots the phone into the fastboot menu.

The combination Vol-Down+power does not work on the FP4, please re-read what I sent above.

@Paul_Fungii , I feel exactly the same as you. I didn’t want my screen real estate taken up with a Google search bar. That’s why I tried Nova Launcher and set it up the way I wanted. It really does make a big difference.

2 Likes

Amazingly enough somehow this worked… finally… Although I tried this several times before… without success… but now I have it in fast boot… thank you… x

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.