Screen not working

27th of August: my Fairphone 3+ doesn’t turn on anymore. I tried to charge it with multiple different charger, and from my laptop - it doesn’t work. I put the battery out and in again - it still doesn’t work. Obviously this is a real issue since I cannot use the phone at all.

Phone sent to repairs, comes back mid-September.

21st of Sept: the screen goes to random noise. Same issue as described in this thread: FP3 Display freezes! Display noise issue It seems that there’s no easy fix, other users who had a similar issue had to send it back. I’m not too cheerful at the idea of not having a proper phone for a couple of weeks, all over again.

Phone sent back to repairs, comes back a couple of days ago.

Today: phone turns on, seems to work properly, a couple of hours later back to white noise.

I assume some of you can understand my frustration of not being able to use a decent smartphone since the end of August - it’s been almost two months. How long will I still need to wait with the back and forth shipment? I’m sorry but while I like the vision of the company, this is visibly a very unreliable piece of hardware. Certainly not fit for something as critical in everyone’s daily life as a smartphone.

Your phone clearly isn’t working as expected.

Given the ‘screen noise’ you do not say if you have checked the screen is attached properly.

It could have worked well when leaving repairs and the transportation has disloged the screens connectors.

So have you checked all the screws? Lossen them and then tighten them carefully.

That doesn’t fit with the topic you linked too, maybe you only read the first post etc.

Please read that topic more thoroughly for example the one below and a few more.

See also similar topics ~ here’s another

Search for example:

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=screen%20pixelated

2 Likes

I think you will need to check your local laws for an answer, but certainly Fairphone shouldn’t have an endless number of tries to fix your phone. At one point they will have to supply you with a working product or give you money back.

In case EU regulations apply …

2 Likes

Let’s look at how this kind of problem might come about.

I suppose it might be due to a faulty component but to my mind it’s likely due to the way FPs are built - i.e. their modularity.

The fact that things are screwed, instead of soldered and glued, together makes for a potential weak spot with internal contacts, that can become oxidized and misaligned, as pointed out by amoun. This leads me to ask what the daily life of your phone is like, and in particular where do you carry it about?

I know this is hard for Modern Man, but I would advise against keeping phones in trouser pockets, and especially back pockets of jeans. Using pockets disposed about the torso will lead to much less stress on the frame and components assembly.

1 Like

Step 1: Check your phone’s screen
Important: After you try each recommended solution, check to find whether it fixed your issue.

Make sure that your screen isn’t cracked, chipped, or damaged.
If you have a case or screen protector, take it off.
If you’re wearing gloves, take them off.
If you’ve put any stickers over the screen or sensors, peel them off.
Make sure that your screen is clean.
Step 2: Try these troubleshooting steps
Restart your phone
Find out whether an app causes your problem
Test the affected part of your screen
Turn off developer options
Step 3: Use advanced troubleshooting
Consider resetting your phone to factory settings
Contact your device manufacturer

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.