Scanning in supermarket camera freezes

We experience something similar with our FP5s using a shopping app in our local supermarket.

It works for a while, but as soon as the screen has been on standby mode, when activated again the camera is frozen in the app. And can only be reactivated by restarting the app - and thereby loose the record of all the scanned groceries, so we have to start over again.

We experience an issue with our FP5s using a shopping app in our local supermarket.

It works for a while, but as soon as the screen has been on standby mode, when activated again, the camera is frozen in the app. And can only be reactivated by restarting the app - and thereby loose the record of all the scanned groceries, so we have to start over again.

It didn’t happen when we had our previous phone, a FP3+ , so it seems to be a problem related to FP5 and its setup in realtion to this app.

The app is from Danish member owned supermarket chain, Coop, and is called Coop App. We have been in contact with their customer service, which hasn’t been halpful, and keep denying they are responsible (without any basis).

Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

The Rema 1000 app does not have this issue - it will also resume if closed down and not just trash everything. But I will try to use install the Coop app and use it the next time I get the chance. Yes, I’m danish too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The question is whether this is a FP5 problem or a problem in de app?

1 Like

Now I have tried the app on my FP5 and I could not reproduce the issue in the Coop app, at the local Coop 365 Discount.

When I had scanned some groceries, I tried to have the screen go into stand by both when the apps camera was activated and when it was not. The app survived just fine. I even tried to kill the app manually and it resumed fine, with all of my scanned items on the list.

I noted that the app has a setting to keep the screen on when the camera is activated. That should mitigate the issue.

Why your app did not keep the scanned items, I don’t know. Perhaps you did not have network connectivity in the shop? When I scanned the QR-code at the entrence, the app suggested it should enable the shops wifi - perhaps that would help on that regard?

@erikvaningen as a software developer, the answer is often not clear. Who will fix it is often a game of chicken, but the one who does will only do it after a lot of users has complained.

In our app department, they have about 30 phones and tablets to test the apps on. Development houses with more resources may have many more. It is usually the line of iPhones for the Apple side and on Andreoid several Samsung, OnePlus, Google, Motorola perhaps a few others. But FairPhone is is way way down on the list unless some enthusiastic developer at the right time and place got the budget to buy one.

In the same way FairPhone will probably only fix issues that a enough users has. There are so many quirks and apps that they could hire 100 times the developers they have and still never get to the end of the list.

In this case, a single report from a single cuontry. Can’t even be reproduced by the developers because it only occurs in Denmark. This will probably never be looked at.

I was just happy that my FF5 worked with both the danish 2fa app MitID, drivers license, MobilePay and similar special danish apps that want to scan my pass port via NFC and tries to detect rooted phones.

So what to do: My suggestion is the above: Keep the screen on, try the local wifi, try changing things. I may have different settings than you. I had data saver on, but not battery saver. You can set in the app settings that it should not be killed as easily - I had not done that.

I hope you find something that works, because it is really nice to scan your items yourself.

5 Likes

Thanks, Erik.

We normally use the shop wifi. I’ll double check next time.

I’ll look into settings in more detail. Have tried giving different types of acces to the camera for the app, to see if it did anything.

I’ll try to kill the app manually next time the camera freeze up. So far I’ve oly use the in-app option, where it warns you’ll loose all scanned items.

We are huge fans of scan-self. So I really hope we’ll find a way.

Thanks again.

1 Like

No solution, but as a workaround, you can use Caffeine Tile to comfortably prevent your device from sleeping. You can switch between different display timeouts by clicking the tile or disable it completely by long-pressing it.
When you switch off your display manually, everything is back to normal.