English

Sailfish for Fairphone 3

I did write several times to Jolla that they should work together with Fairphone. Having a Sailfish like for the Sony devices would be great. I had it for my xperia and would again pay 50$. In my eyes it is worth it.

Sadly Fairphone and Jolla just state to open threads in their forums. Which apparently does not help at all. Why cant they just talk to each other and figure out a license plan. Would be win win for both sides I think.

And I would get a non Android system wich I do like very much. Miss the times when I had a Jolla phone. But I like the concept of the Fairphone much more.

3 Likes

Combining two niches probably results in an even smaller niche – and that does not pay off. The smartphone market is largely about economies of scale.

There is/was a community version of Sailfish for the FP2.
I don’t know if there is somebody working on a Version for the FP3.
Manufactures can’t official support all Operating Systems so that’s a community effort.
Right now there is the stock android, lineage in different versions and some work towards postmarketOS.
The latest Sailfish update looks really good and I would definitely give it try .

If you look at phones like the computer they are its understandable.
Its like if dell would offer support for every flavor of linux
Only difference a vendor can make is to design it open for other OS.
I hope that the future outside of walled gardens are devices where you have the same options you have with home computer.
This will be rewarded by the consumers
“Its yours to flash”

4 Likes

I’m game, but for daily driver I am gonna need Android support (so a CE wouldn’t cut it).

I am with you JeroenH. I know there is a community port but I want to have the possibility to install a few android apps I need for special things. And therefor I need a licensed version.

Thats the point why I asked them to collaborate. And I dont agree that Fairphone is a niche product. Yes they only have about 20000 sold devices or even more now. And I dont agree that it would result in a niche product and if so, it does not mather if the costs are covered and you can even earn a little out of it its for sure better then selling nothing.