Restore speed on FP3 (and FP3+) after Android 13 update

I have had an FP3 for 3 years. I upgraded the camera which greatly improved the quality of the images and updated to Android 13 a few months ago, when it became possible. Everything is fine, everything works (apart from the fingerprint identification…). I am happy with this phone. I can open it and change the battery which I did recently.

After updating to Android 13, a (major) problem appeared: the phone became very, very slow. After each boot, it takes time to appear and then the applications react very slowly. It’s almost unusable…

For what ? I searched and - found the answer. After startup, the system loads into memory all the applications you have on the phone, whether you have used it or not. He loads everything he can - a long list. Obviously, even if you don’t use them, they stay in memory, taking up space and running, using processor time. The system becomes overloaded, busy, clogged with too much work that no one needs.

I don’t know why the developers did this? Is it a big mistake, oversight, lack of attention? I don’t know but it’s extremely annoying and makes the phone unusable.

Of course, there is the solution: go to settings/applications and deactivate them one by one, by hand. This unloads memory, stops the application from running, and frees up processor time. Except… if you have 100 or 200 applications installed on your phone, you will spend 1 hour deactivating everything, one by one. In addition, at the next startup, they will all restart because the “disabled” state is not memorized…

Luckily, I have a “memory cleaner” tool, the “robot” which automates this task. It’s a little-known but extremely powerful and useful application: App Freezer by Real Zhang.

App Freezer is a speed booster for an Android device. It stops processes running in the background, making the phone run faster. App Freezer focuses solely on process management. It ensures that applications can only run when needed, so they don’t consume unnecessary system resources or contribute to increased battery usage that can lead to shorter runtimes.

After launch, you must authorize it to control the functioning of the applications. Then it automatically closes them, ten by ten. Once finished, you will find your fast phone like new. It is not cluttered by dozens of processes running in the background, it regains all its speed.

They didn’t, as not every user experiences this after the upgrade.

I think it is offering a major OS version upgrade via the updater for user convenience, which can work out well … or not, regardless of the amount of testing put into it, with the possible states user installations are in out there being infinite and not known.

In case of doubt, installing the new major OS version from scratch (which is the clean approach to such an upgrade in the first place) should remedy slowness caused by the upgrading process.

1 Like

“installing the new major OS version from scratch”

unfortunately, this is not possible. Installing from scratch erases all certificates and credentials present in your phone and I can not lost my bank access…

Not possible is not the same as inconvenient.

Your smartphone is a complicated computer device which might fail you at any given most inconvenient time for no immediately apparent reason. What’s the plan then?

1 Like
  • buy an another phone
  • buy flight to Bangkok - nearest ATM is there to get my new bank key to account access…

Sounds undesirable, but I’m free to like Plan Bs as a concept, not necessarily every detail they might entail individually :innocent: .

indestructible legends :person_facepalming::grinning:

1 Like

including bank certificate?