Replaced my camera - what to do with the old one?

I just replaced my front and back camera with new upgraded ones and it is working perfect, the quality is significantly better :):). Kuddos to the Fairphone team!
But what should I do with the old camera? Is the Fairphone company recycling them?

3 Likes

Yes, they do :slight_smile: https://www.fairphone.com/en/recycling-program/

1 Like

@olivier.krener but I’d suggest selling it for somewhat 5-15€ to someone here on the forum whos camera is broken, but who doesn’t need the new camera. Then they wouldn’t even have to get recycled :slight_smile:

3 Likes
1 Like

We’re working on a project to give the cameras a new life. So sending them back would be highly appreciated if you are not able to give it a purposeful meaning yourself.

You could try to sell it, but the camera is the module that has the smallest chance of breaking, so I think your chances to find someone who needs one are limited.

Of course we also hope that some modules pop-up in the #hardware:diy section in creative alternative uses.

11 Likes

Can I bring my old camera modules to the Fairphone office at Jollemanhof 17? I drive past it a few times a week.

2 Likes

Absolutly, I’d be very happy to receive them from you.

4 Likes

I’ll bring them next week

2 Likes

You can also offer those “old” camera modules on the marketplace here in the forum. I saw a bunch of posts of people giving away their camera module for free. Some even go that far as in not even wanting you to pay for the postage, which is amazing from them. I recently got an “old” camera module for free from the marketplace, since I have some issue with the camera not properly focusing on small near objects. (Sadly, the camera module change didn’t fix the issue.)

I also think that as a Fairphone Angel it might not be the worst idea to have a few spare parts around if people in the area are in need. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perfect, thanks for the answers. Just wrote a post to give away the camera module

Delivered mine at the office :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.