Redefining longevity: Android 9 now available for Fairphone 2

Massive thanks and congrats to the whole of the Fairphone team and community for this update - I can’t imagine the number of hours that have gone I to making this happen. Been running my FP2 for over 5 years which always seems like such a short amount of time in the bigger picture, and yet apparently a lifetime in the world of technology.

Looking forward to playing. Here’s a shot to confirm it (hope there’s no confidential data there, ha):

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer, karsten :slight_smile:

Honestly it’s not clear for me what are the “proprietary blobs” , I was guessing it’s included in the modem.zip file (*) but after reading your message it seems not :wink:
However you answered my question, no update on the baseband version 4437.1-FP2-0-08 to be expected in the future.

Best regards,
Olivier

(*) modem.zip contains the following firmware:
emmc_appsboot.mbn NON-HLOS.bin rpm.mbn sbl1.mbn sdi.mbn splash.img tz.mbn

BLOB is used as an abbreviation for “binary large object”. Any firmware or closed-source driver fits the bill. The modem is one device that uses such blobs, but so does the GPU, the camera, etc…

7 Likes

Yep, I’ve been deliberately keeping it to 16, though.

From my experience in the past, I prefer to keep to the “stable” versions, as the new versions tend to have (more) bugs, probably also because of the new features introduced. Yeah, all software has bugs. But I’m using this phone daily. also to make calls, so this is actually critical.

I’ll probably need to update soon, though, as it appears the support/maintenance for version 16 has stopped. (Maybe I’ll make an image with TWRP so I can revert if needed)

With LineageOS only one official version per device gets supported, so for about a year now only 17.1 is supported on the Fairphone 2, and as soon as 18.1 goes official (in LineageOS terms), only 18.1 will be supported.

So, whatever Fairphone are doing has no consequence for LineageOS 16 anymore.

4 Likes

Fairphone open, Fairphone open, Fairphone open…

Hope that we non Google Users will get Android 9 too soon!!! Please do not forget us!!

Cheers
Joerg

2 Likes

It’s on its way. Of course I can’t say how soon it happens.

4 Likes

Very good news! Meanwhile I use Pie from e-foundation, not too bad, either :slight_smile:

Hello,

the Fairphone Updater doesn´t inform me about the transfer from android 7 to android 9.
Is there any problems with the deployment ?

According to the first post, each day only around 4 % of additional users will get the upgrade. I have not been among the first either, still waiting for my turn, too.

3 Likes

I don’t think so, the deployment just started and should be done until April 18th.

1 Like

Thank you.
I hope it works. The idea to maintain as long as possible our equipment is really great.

1 Like

You´re right.
I didn´t read all the post and the answers.

1 Like

Nice to hear I can upgrade my FP2 to Android 9, but how do I upgrade (from Android 7.1.2) to 9? (I am an old man not well versed in digital technology).

1 Like

Do you upgrade all your apps regularly? Then the Fairphone updater was updated too and will inform you, when the upgrade is available. It can take until April 18th.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, Incanus!

1 Like

Thank you, Fairphone-Team for this upgrade!

It is just a bit sad that there is no chance to speed up getting the update or to manually install it.
My daily driver is a FP3+, having an old FP2 around which I could use for testing and giving feedback, no need to worry about hiccups and bugs.
But I guess I have to be patient until the upgrade hits my device :wink:

Then you can go the beta version way with this device. The latest beta version available is the same as the released one and perfect for testing.

3 Likes

Thank you for this hint!

2 Likes

Dear Fairphone developers, dear FP community,

thank you so much for bringing forth this upgrade to Android 9. A really big achievement that, once more, shows the FP’s genuineness of reaching longevity and sustainability.

Although Android 7 satisfies my needs, I am curious about upgrading to 9 soon.

As already asked in this question on mouse-functionality in Android 6 and in this question on mouse-functionality in Android 7, I would like to know, whether the FP2 can still be operated with a mouse after the Android 9 update. I don’t dare to update, before I can be sure that Android 9 on FP2 supports this mouse-functionality. :wheelchair: :computer_mouse:

To check, whether mouse-functionality is integrated in your Android 9-running FP2, you just have to connect a usual mouse via a USB-to-Micro-USB-adapted to the FP2’s micro-USB-port. Then, either a mouse cursor appears on the screen and can be controlled via the mouse (in this case mouse-functionality is available) or nothing happens (in this case mouse-functionality is not included in Android 9).

It would be great if either the developers or some FP2-users could give me feedback concerning the above stated question!

5 Likes