FP2: Fairphone OS & Fairphone Open 22.02.0-rel.0 (Android 10)

Great achievement that cannot be appreciated and praised enough! :+1:

While just an optical change, I really appreciate the new wallpaper, too.

Thanks to all who made this possible.

8 Likes

Will it be recorded?

1 Like

Congratulations and thanks to everyone involved, all the way to those tending the coffee IVs for the developers!

2 Likes

Fellow diehards: The new number is 690,000 tests for Android 10! :smile:

Meet the developers:

8 Likes

Dear Fairphone developers, dear FP community,

thank you so much for bringing forth this upgrade to Android 10. A really big event that, once more, shows the FP’s genuineness of reaching longevity and sustainability.

As already asked earlier and here, I would like to know, whether the FP2 can still be operated with a mouse after the Android 10 update. I don’t dare to update, before I can be sure that Android 10 on FP2 supports this mouse-functionality. :wheelchair: :computer_mouse:

To check, whether mouse-functionality is integrated in your Android 10-running FP2, you just have to connect a usual mouse via a USB-to-Micro-USB-adapted to the FP2’s micro-USB-port. Then, either a mouse cursor appears on the screen and can be controlled via the mouse (in this case mouse-functionality is available) or nothing happens (in this case mouse-functionality is not included in Android 10).

It would be great if either the developers or some FP2-users could give me feedback concerning the above stated question!

4 Likes

Got impatient, did a manual upgrade. Works like a charm so far! … although the phone’s largely unused at this point as my main SIM is in the FP4. Can’t retire the FP2 yet though, not until my main carrier starts supporting eSim.

4 Likes

Just installed Fairphone OS 22.02.0-rel.0 on my “spare parts” … mouse works via USB OTG (some USB Logitech Wireless dongle I have lying around and a Logitech M185 mouse).

6 Likes

I have downloaded both zips.
Fairphone OS 22.02.0-rel.0 = 1001.9 MiB
Fairphone Open 22.02.0-rel.0 = 534.4 MiB
Is this right?

Installing Fairphone Open 22.02.0-rel.0 failed.
The message translated into English is:
Cannot load the Android system. Your data may be damaged. If you continue to receive this message, you may need to reset the factory settings and delete all user data stored on this device.

Retry
Restore to factory settings.

Installing Fairphone OS 22.02.0-rel.0 was a success.

What was installed before? To go from Fairphone OS to Fairphone Open, it takes a different installation file, the “Manual switcher”: Download Releases — FAIRPHONE open source documentation

6 Likes

Oh, then that’s what went wrong.
But it’s curious that there is such a difference in size of the zip.

What the blazes have you done to the Gallery app?!
I used to use that a lot, but now it only has a tiny fraction of the functionality it had before.
Can I revert to the previous version, somehow, please?

Sure you can downgrade manually but you will have to do a factory reset.

1 Like

Google Play Services, I guess…

3 Likes

Correct.

Are you on Fairphone Open 22.02.0-rel.0? What features are missing for you? The gallery app is no longer maintained by AOSP, but we took over changes from LineageOS to make it usable.

6 Likes

Yes, I updated to Fairphone Open 22.02.0-rel.0 yesterday.

The Gallery app has been hugely pared down.

I have two FP2s and I’ve only updated one of them so far, so I’ve been able to compare the two versions of the Gallery app directly.

Here are some features that I have noticed are now missing, all of which I have used at some point when editing pictures:

Mirror
Grid when straightening
Vignette
Vignette falloff
Vignette contrast
Vignette saturation
Graduated brightness
Graduated saturation
Graduated contrast
Shadows
Highlights
Curves
Curves red
Curves green
Curves blue
Hue
Saturation main
Saturation red
Saturation yellow
Saturation green
Saturation cyan
Saturation blue
Saturation magenta
BW filter (adjustable)
Negative
Edges
Posterize
Exif data

I ask again, can I install the previous version, somehow, please?

Quoting myself…

You misunderstand. I don’t want to revert to the previous version of the operating system, I just want the previous version of the Gallery app.

How about exporting the old gallery App APK and installing it on the new OS (e.g. with SAI)?
Might work, might not work, I would only recommend something like this if you are really desperate.
It would be more future-proof to look for a different way to handle your use cases, because even if the old App might work at first, there’s no guarantee it stays that way, as it’s not maintained anymore.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I want to do. But how to do it? Where will I find the APK of the old Gallery app?