Redefining longevity: Android 9 now available for Fairphone 2

Yes! We’re just preparing the first beta for Fairphone Open.

15 Likes

Great News! Congrats!

3 Likes

Who’s first to get it :interrobang:

Is this going to have an influence on LineageOS 16 as well?

Not sure how divergent the development is, especially regarding the kernel.

I might have found a bug!
After I reboot I accidentally entered my decryption key wrong. Rather than telling me it’s wrong, my phone said something along the lines of “it’s correct, but we can’t decrypt your stuff. You must do a factory reset.” with said reset button. Turning the screen off and on brought me back to the input, but obviously don’t press the reset button! It seems to matter just how wrong I get the key though… with one combination it tells me it’s correct but can’t decrypt, with another mistake it just tells me its wrong.

… Does anyone know where the new bug tracker is? Looks like everything is moved away from Tigra.

2 Likes

The Fairphone 2 is currently on LineageOS 17.1 (Android 10) for a year now almost to the day, with 18.1 (Android 11) knocking on the door already.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I will update, I was just wanting to know what to look forward to! I suppose I should stop using it online until the update has occurred

“Owners can also take advantage of Android 9 features such as adaptive battery, predictive app actions and gesture navigation.”

2 Likes

Great!
But /e/OS like LineageOS are already on Android q for the FP2… Anyway, good news!

So, what do I need to do? The Fairphone Updater says my phone is up-to-date and is using Fairphone OS 19.11.2

It’s the Android that’s been updated, the Fairphone OS is still in the pipeline so just wait a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a “staged rollout” - so this means you’ll have to wait - the update should be presented to you between March 25th and April 18th:

5 Likes

Not me :smiley:, although the Updater got it’s update already.

Well, I don’t think the average FP2 user should. Would be different for someone in some high security business, but I doubt they would, or can, use an FP2 with Android 7 anyway.
Can’t remember someone on this forum reporting issues because of Android 7 having vulnerabilities during the past year, and I think we can take the risk for some more days or weeks.

6 Likes

I have the feeling somebody complained recently that his banking app did not work because of using Android 7 so the news could impact much more people than just the ones looking for security.

1 Like

My speaker is broken and no top module (5mp) is available for purchase in the shop and FP announced the other week that the bottom module will be withdraw from sale soon (its not possible to order it anyway).
Soo, one has to wonder whats the point on upgrading Android when the phones starts to deteriorate?

Personally I find that a really strange question. Are you saying people should not solve problems when other potential problems remain unsolved?

Sure, if a part of the phone breaks that cannot be replaced, you can’t use it any longer.
But what if there is no hardware defect but you are forced to stop using your still functioning phone because a) your company requires a patchlevel no older than 1 year or b) apps important to you no longer run on Android 7?

5 Likes

There are still benefits. All products deteriorate, even people. Yet cars still get updated software, and people like me of some 73 years still learn. My body may be deteriorating at a notable rate but I keep my mind as up to date as possible. It, my brain is still usefull and what better way to use my body that to have an improved brain.

Of course with any finite system there is only so much more info that can be stored and some programmes require too much memory, but cognitive ability takes up less space.

So as I age I remember less and calculate more. If the apps on the FP2 are not overloading the memory or cpu then updating the logic could be very useful

5 Likes

Just copied a link from another post which details the OS update procedure, which I found very interesting.

“let’s do a quick recap of how Android makes it to your smartphone. First, Google releases builds of AOSP (the Android Open Source Project) to everyone. This doesn’t run on a phone yet, though. First, your SoC (System on a Chip) manufacturer (usually Qualcomm) has to get hold of it and customize Android for a particular SoC, adding drivers and other hardware support. Then, that build goes to your phone manufacturer (Fairphone, in this case) which adds support for the rest of the hardware—things like cameras, the display, and any other accessories—along with built-in apps and any custom Android skin work that the company wants to do.”

5 Likes