Redefining longevity: Android 9 now available for Fairphone 2

Slightly off topic I suppose but my FP2 is still going strong without any replacement modules, and a relative of mine got a FP2 before me (which is why I got mine!) still has hers too and in daily use, also without any replacement modules.

Mine has the semi-transparent case so I’ve had to use a bit of glue, but otherwise… could not be more happy tbh! Its good to see lots of people who are in for the long haul, its kinda the point after all. What I do know is that if I do need a brand new phone or recommend one to someone else, it will be a Fairphone for sure. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I got my Android 9 update this morning. Everything seems Ok, so no drama. I will have to see how it performs!

8 Likes

My wife’s FP2 got the update today via OTA - everything went fine :grinning:

We only had to place some app icons on the home screen again.

Thnx for keeping FP2 software up to date :+1:

6 Likes

Hi, is it possible to get some progress update on the FP Open OS version?
@karsten or @Ingo, maybe you people would be able to tell us something about that?

From what I can understand from the FP2: Android 9 public source release topic, the latest release candidate version is 21.03.0-rel.2 (according to this release manifest in one of FP’s public git repositories, whatever a release manifest is).

Finally, what would be the best way to follow the progress on the Open OS version of Android 9? (so that we don’t have to bother specific people in this topic from time to time :wink:)

Thanks a lot to Fairphone for bringing Android 9 to FP2 :heart:

4 Likes

To be added to the beta group, so that you can test the beta versions of FP Open and help give feedback. Would you wish so?

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a short update on the roll-out. The deployment has been slightly delayed because we are working on smoothing out a few bumps. On Monday our roll-out was at 50% and it should be complete by the end of April. Apologies to those that have had to wait a little longer. We will keep you updated on our progress here.

EDIT: The new deadline is now early next week (first week of May). Sorry for the delay, but thanks very much for your patience so far.

EDIT 2: We have reached 100% with the roll out :tada:

18 Likes

No you can move around a bit and get some fresh air, don’t wait for the future, it has habit of turning up when you are not looking.

3 Likes

Update went smoothly, and I really like the small differences I have found. Only minor niggle, is a couple of things in the settings menu are now in different places.

Best get wiggling with the niggling :slight_smile:

Today: beginning of May 2021: I still use FP Open OS 19.11.2 without any problem so far. Everything is working fine. (On another FP2 I am trying out e-OS with A10 ;-))

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I use FPOpenOS and just got the notification via the FP Updater that I can update my FP2 to Android 9 (21.03.0-rel.2).
Just to make sure because the release version number is identical: Is this the Android 9 update for FPOpen (maybe as part of the beta program) or will this update somehow switch my FP2 to the “googeled” version?

Yes.
As with every upgrade to a new major Android version (at least), be sure to have a backup of all your important data.

No, it’s out of beta now …

No.

4 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply! I’ll backup my Phone and try it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Received FP open OS upgrade via FP update app yesterday ; just followed the wizard, and in 3 taps my phone is running android 9 <3. No downside so far. Congrats !

7 Likes

I got the update yesterday night, first the ‘new’ updater and about half an hour later a notification about Android 9. Went fast and smoothly, the FP2 was working hard for the update, it heated up a little bit, but after an hour or so everything went back to normal.
Everything works, at a first glance, let’s see how it’s going on.

6 Likes

Same with me! My own FP2 (encrypted) updated quickly and smoothly, without heating. But the one of my wife forced us to do a complete reset, apparently due to the encryption. Fortunately we had copies of the most important data like contacts and calendar. And she ueses only a few app so it was newly setted up again in a little hour or so :wink:

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

Great news! We have now reached 100% with the roll-out :tada:

Hope it goes smoothly for you all, however if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to our support team.

11 Likes

How much is the current workload of the support team?

Smooth update, no problems, better performance with multitasking between apps! Thank you so much!!! :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

Does that mean every FP2 should get offered an update to Android 9?
My Fairphone Updater (1.39.17) says:

Your current operating system version
Fairphone OS 19.11.2
Your operating system is up-to-date