Redefining longevity: Android 9 now available for Fairphone 2

Youā€™re right, the ties with operators have become stronger with the FP3 as VoLTE and VoWLAN were added. In this case itā€™s either an issue with the updater app (you can clear its data in Settings > Apps to force it to check for updates) or the roll-out is indeed taking a bit longer.

(If you use an FP3 without a SIM, I believe you get updates based on the last SIM that had been in the device.)

2 Likes

@ctiecher Thanks - great link, I can forget about it for now!

1 Like

So, this means it even worked without SIM. Good to know. As I have it as a spare Cell and no SIM in it at the moment, but it would be great to update.

2 Likes

3.0k views. Does this means that there are at least still 3k FP2 users after 6 years? Thatā€™s amazing! How many were sold in total?

I believe there were 115k sold in total.

There is a chart with sales per model and year at Fairphones sold 2013-2020 :wink:

1 Like

Not really, there could b e just 1000 with an average of three views each though I image thereā€™s more like 30K users. No way of knowing as few come to this site. :slight_smile:

I guess FP will have at least a rough estimate by downloads of OS updates and the like.

Is hiccup still implemented?

3 Likes

Slightly off topic I suppose but my FP2 is still going strong without any replacement modules, and a relative of mine got a FP2 before me (which is why I got mine!) still has hers too and in daily use, also without any replacement modules.

Mine has the semi-transparent case so Iā€™ve had to use a bit of glue, but otherwiseā€¦ could not be more happy tbh! Its good to see lots of people who are in for the long haul, its kinda the point after all. What I do know is that if I do need a brand new phone or recommend one to someone else, it will be a Fairphone for sure. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I got my Android 9 update this morning. Everything seems Ok, so no drama. I will have to see how it performs!

8 Likes

My wifeā€™s FP2 got the update today via OTA - everything went fine :grinning:

We only had to place some app icons on the home screen again.

Thnx for keeping FP2 software up to date :+1:

6 Likes

Hi, is it possible to get some progress update on the FP Open OS version?
@karsten or @Ingo, maybe you people would be able to tell us something about that?

From what I can understand from the FP2: Android 9 public source release topic, the latest release candidate version is 21.03.0-rel.2 (according to this release manifest in one of FPā€™s public git repositories, whatever a release manifest is).

Finally, what would be the best way to follow the progress on the Open OS version of Android 9? (so that we donā€™t have to bother specific people in this topic from time to time :wink:)

Thanks a lot to Fairphone for bringing Android 9 to FP2 :heart:

4 Likes

To be added to the beta group, so that you can test the beta versions of FP Open and help give feedback. Would you wish so?

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a short update on the roll-out. The deployment has been slightly delayed because we are working on smoothing out a few bumps. On Monday our roll-out was at 50% and it should be complete by the end of April. Apologies to those that have had to wait a little longer. We will keep you updated on our progress here.

EDIT: The new deadline is now early next week (first week of May). Sorry for the delay, but thanks very much for your patience so far.

EDIT 2: We have reached 100% with the roll out :tada:

18 Likes

No you can move around a bit and get some fresh air, donā€™t wait for the future, it has habit of turning up when you are not looking.

3 Likes

Update went smoothly, and I really like the small differences I have found. Only minor niggle, is a couple of things in the settings menu are now in different places.

Best get wiggling with the niggling :slight_smile:

Today: beginning of May 2021: I still use FP Open OS 19.11.2 without any problem so far. Everything is working fine. (On another FP2 I am trying out e-OS with A10 ;-))

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I use FPOpenOS and just got the notification via the FP Updater that I can update my FP2 to Android 9 (21.03.0-rel.2).
Just to make sure because the release version number is identical: Is this the Android 9 update for FPOpen (maybe as part of the beta program) or will this update somehow switch my FP2 to the ā€œgoogeledā€ version?

Yes.
As with every upgrade to a new major Android version (at least), be sure to have a backup of all your important data.

No, itā€™s out of beta now ā€¦

No.

4 Likes