Reboots by running OsmAnd navigation on a charging LOS Fairphone2

2917-10-09: I did a tour on my MTB around some streets, but mostly fields and woods, all together 110 km and nine hours. OsmAnd was on all the time, charging from the hub Dynamo (this time a Shimano one) via Forumslader, Buetooth switched on, location with GPS only, WiFi switched off.
Charging started at 70% and went on untill 100%. Than after 1-1/2 hour a sudden device reboot. I set the device up again as before and it went on running without any interruption for the rest of the day.

I have the same problem as stated here:

I also noticed that the GPS is currently slower and less precise with LineageOS than with FPOOS.

I can be shown offroad, speed can be slower to update, and sometimes exageratly too high (159km/h in a city, or waiting at a red semaphore light).

Hi @siltaar

are you certain you are using GPS only? To me it looks somehow like you’re using cell ids for estimating your position. There are backends which handle this. I have tested cell id positioning with similar results some good while ago.

Hi Amber, thanks for you interest.

I confirm that I’m using the Device Only positioning system.

Previous observations where done with LineageOS 14.1 from the 19 december 2017.

You could use syslog app (from Scott Warner) in playstore. There’s an
option to grab last kernel log.

Chris

I’ve noticed that running strava sometimes causes reboots and sudden battery drains. Whilst on a long cycle, I’ll check my phone and notice strava has faulted or I’ve had a reboot. Obviously its using GPS to track my movents.
I’ve posted previously about this here 🇬🇧 🇩🇪 Random reboots with (official) Lineage OS?
Here’s another screengrab of the battery behaviour when this issue happens (from today)

Today it happend again twice, first after 20 minutes, second after one hour. I charged via the bicycles ‘Forumslader’ (a charger for hub dynamos at bikes) and used the ‘Forumslader’ app to watch, what is happening. The FP2 is connected to the 'Forumslader via BT. The phones OS has been Lineage 14.1 version 20180307 without any ad-on like microG or Open GApps.

Now my patience has come to an end. Again I have had reboots again and again running Osmand at my bike, the phone charged by the bikes hub generator.
For me this application is the most important one, but it is most unreliable. Two years of trying to get a solution havn’t been enough time to solve the problem. I started with Fairphone OS, followed by Fairphone open OS and after that with LineageOS 14.1.2, at last with version 20180314 and modemfile 20180301. It never worked satisfactorily.
Now I have decided to sell my Faiphone.

A sad story: I like the phone, I support, what stands behind it, I like the phones concept, the modularity, the freedom, to use different, Google free OSes, I like this awesome Fairphone forum.
But when the phone doesn’t do the main task, I have bought it for, that all together doesn’t help.
Hopefully someone else, who doesn’t intend to use the phone at his bike, will be luckier than me with this exceeding Fairphone!
By by says Heiner

Is it Osmand or is it the phone I wonder?
What happens if you try another navigation app.

Who knows? My next step is to try another phone.

1 Like

Well, there are reports of spontaneous reboots while charging (I had this also, non reproducible, though), and an aggravated situation with charging while navigating (not necessarily osmand).
So, maybe a specific batch of phones, or a firmware problem with location services while charging…
So many possibilities… End of April I’ll have my own share of experience, will see :wink:

1 Like

Now you may judge yourself:
I did another 85 km ride today without any reboots!

I used the same software with a slightly different OS, and the phone has been a different:
A Samsung Galaxy S5 from 2015 with a
Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 prozessor, version MSM8974PRO-AC, a
Krait 400 CPU, an
Adreno ™ 330 GPU and
2 GB RAM,
USB 3.0.
The OS I used is Lineage_klte 7.1.2 microG for the Galaxy S5, version 20180323.
Patchlevel March 5, 2018
Performance profile (accu settings):
at the FP2: ‘Power save’,
at the Galaxy: ‘Balanced’.
I didn’t install a special modem file. The phone is rooted as the FP2 has been.

Edit:
Another (unimportant?) difference between the phones:
My FP2 is encrypted, the Galaxy is not. I tried to encrypt the Galaxy some time before and ended up with a bricked phone, had to set up it from scratch again.

1 Like

Have you already filed a request to Fairphone for a device exchange?

My household now has two FP2s, mine is an older one with an AB SoC and my wife’s is from a newer batch with an AA SoC. The first one she got delivered overheated instantaneously followed by a reboot, it had to be returned and exchanged. The new device still reboots about twice per week, but we’ll see how it develops after installation of the latest modem firmware.

I never had any reboots while charging and navigating with OsmAnd. My phone reboots rather spontaneously while doing literally nothing once a month. :no_mouth:

1 Like

I tend to believe it is the combination of both.
I have an older SoC AB version by the way.

I have used OSMand and also Navmii with Lollipop. Navmii is fine so far.
OSMand seems to be quite resource hungry and demanding. It drains the battery quick and while charging and navigating the phone gets hot as hell. I did not have any reboots yet, but this heat increase could lead to any kind of strange behaviour of the entire device.

Other phones maybe can take this high core temperature but as it looks FP2 comes to a limit.

I didn’t. In the last time I have had reboots only at this special condition, and I don’t have the impression, that the Fairphone devs have time to care for such special requirements. They won’t ride a bike to collect experiences at it.

1 Like

Probably you are right with the Osmand high power demand. The battery never charged completely with running Osmand, neither at the bike, nor at a car. Even when charging and running Osmand at the car the Phone lost charge.
But in my case the device temperature should not have been crucial: The phone is sitting on the bikes handlebar without any extra cover and the outside temperature has been around -2° C with strong wind force 6 - 9, quite uncomfortable to do a ride. At the test yesterday with the Galaxy I have had light winds and temperature between +5° to +10° C, nice to ride a bike.

Well, you know, that low temperatures can get on the battery quite a lot?
-2°C plus heavy wind means really low temperatures.
That might very well be a reason for failure and reboots. Don’t underestimate 7°C in temperature difference. And then add the wind and possible differences in design to it, that might keep the battery of the Samsung warm.

Here’s an article from a german daily, reporting on a DEKRA test of pedelc batteries:

“Lithium-Ion battery: The reason batteries hate the cold”

Die ideale Temperatur für den Gebrauch eines Lithium-Ionen-Akkus liegt bei ungefähr 20 Grad. Je kälter es wird, desto träger werden die Ionen. Irgendwann verweigert der Akku den Dienst vollkommen. Wann das passiert, ist von Akku zu Akku verschieden, weil nicht alle Hersteller die gleichen Materialien verwenden. Ansehen kann man es einem Akku jedenfalls nicht. „Die Zusammensetzung des Elektrolyts ist ein gut ­gehütetes Geheimnis der Hersteller“, sagt Andreas Richter.
:uk: (my own translation)
The ideal temperature for using lithium-ion batteries lies around 20°C. The colder it gets, the more inert the ions turn. At some point the battery will stop working completely. When that happens, differs from battery to battery, as not all manufacturers are using the same materials. There’s no way to know what battery you got. “The electrolytes composition is a well kept secret of the manufacturers” says Andreas Richter.

Yes, I know.
I wrote about the low temperatures to state, that the last reboots I suffered aren’t caused by (to) high processor temperatures. It also wasn’t caused by low battery voltage. The battery is charged continuesly by a hub dynamo via an extra buffer battery. Directly after the reboots there was enough battery charge at the phone and I could start Osmand again and it was working properly, for some time (fifteen minutes or more).
Last summer I have got the same reboot effects with outside temperatures between 15 and 25°C.

For me high or low temperatures don’t seem to be a cause for my reboots.

Sorry if you mentioned this somewhere and I don’t recall or saw it, but for reference if others want to check the problem out … Is your performance profile set to “Efficiency” already? …

I thought the “Limit maximum CPU power” effect of this setting should be worth some attention in cases of overheating and reboots.

Thank you, you are right, I didn’t mention it:
I have set the performance profiles
at the FP2 on ‘Power save’ and
at the Galaxy on ‘Balanced’.

1 Like