Re-fixing FP2 Open OS GPS

Hello, I installed (and configure) F-Droid app’s “UnifiedNlp (No GAPPS)”, “MozillaNlpBackend” and “Déjà Vu - A local RF based back end for the µg Pro” and got my GPS ok but several days later stopped working. I don’t know if the GPS needs to be reconfigured from time to time and that’s where the failure comes from. If this is the case, how can I reconfigure it? I have read the #gpsguide but I can’t find the solution.
Thank you very much in advance.

There’s a libre app called GPStest; could you run it and see if your device finds any satellites? It’s under ‘# Sats’.

If it does, it should give you a location and it’s very likely a matter of deleting the cache and data of your map application (Google Maps, or OsmAnd, or what have you).

If it doesn’t, the problem may lie deeper, in which case a hard reset could be in order. But hopefully it needn’t come to that.

1 Like

Yes, it finds some satellites. How can I delete the map app’s (Google Maps and others) cache and data?

1 Like

System settings > Apps > [your app here] > Storage > Clear Data, and Delete Cache. (varies depending on what language you’ve got your system set to, of course.)

Keep in mind that this will delete all of the app’s settings, saved locations, and whatnot - it’ll be like you installed the app for the first time. If you can back any important settings up from within the app, it’s advisable.

3 Likes

I deleted Data and Cache from Google Maps but the GPS still doesn’t work. How can I do a hard reset?

Do you mean a factory reset of the entire phone?

I mean that “hard reset”.

I can’t find a solution to this issue and it is basic for me to be able to use the GPS on my cell phone normally. I would like to be able to keep the libre software. Can someone help me?

dic:hardreset seems to be a reference to the already mentioned factory reset.

A factory reset will delete user data and Apps, and the (untouched) OS will then start with the initial user setup again.

If you want or need to go a step further, you can wipe the phone and install it from scratch … 🇬🇧 🇩🇪 ✏ Installing the Fairphone 2 from scratch in case of failure / Komplette Neuinstallation des Fairphone 2 im Fehlerfall.

1 Like

The GPS stopped working without me changing any configuration to the mobile, shortly after it worked well with the app’s “UnifiedNlp (No GAPPS)”, “MozillaNlpBackend” and “Déjà Vu - A local RF based back end for the µg Pro”. But, should I do a hard reset every time the GPS stops working? I think it’s a very laborious process for every time it fails (and we don’t know if this failure can be periodic every little time. If it is necessary I will do it but it is very strange to me. Isn’t there any app that allows it to work again?
I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.

For now if I got it right your GPS stopped working 1 time, that’s the issue at hand. Let’s not complicate the matter with baseless assumptions.
If you somehow get it fixed, and it fails again, that is then, not now.

There’s no magic trick or App to fix this, I’m afraid.

The only thing I can think of that you might still try before resetting is simply reinstalling the current modemfiles (<- see link for info).

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.