Random Screen dimming (while brightness slider stays at 100%) after A12 update

This will not help it just deletes your data and does not touch the system itself. We have to wait for a fix from FP

And welcome to the community

3 Likes

Itā€™s nice to have a Fairphone employee respond here, but the post is extremely sobering in the end, as it states that weā€™ll probably have to wait a long while for a solution to the problem. It is also particularly brazen in this context that the issue was simply marked as solved here.

Indeed, I want to help the environment, but with some of the issues I keep experiencing Iā€™m not sure if I will buy a Fairphone again. Iā€™m sorry, but I need to be blunt, because the screen dimming issue is a major showstopper and not just some small bug. All the other little issues are not a problem to wait for a fix, but the screen is the most important one for a smartphone.

5 Likes

This issue has been reported 6th of February 2023 and there is still no fix or any other remedy. This is insane because this is a massive showstopper and a huge blow to a business which makes smartphones. This hurts the core business and there is still no urgency to fix this issue as fast as possible. This issue is effecting a lot of people, and if this is an Android 12 issue then it would be practical to issue an upgrade asap to Android 13.

6 Likes

Exactly. Try to call the emergency number when the screen is blacked out and the weather is sunnyā€¦

pt., 4 sie 2023, 17:31 użytkownik Remzi Cavdar via Fairphone Community Forum <forum@fairphone.com> napisał:

4 Likes

The hot-phone-dimming thing is a real PITA. But I find something else rather annoying with the dimming: when the brightness changes, itā€™s always in large steps. Itā€™s really not nice to look at. My old Nokia 4.2 has smooth, continuous brightness changes while the FP4 cranks it up and down discreetly several times per minute when it happens.

5 Likes

Okay you know what? Waiting for a fix ainā€™t doing it for me. I think Iā€™m gonna sideload Magisk and stick the value in the file myself.

Stay tuned to find out if I bricked my phone :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Well, Iā€™m ready to flash a patched bootloader, but I realized I need to backup my Signal installation and transfer my banking app credentials to another phone first, in case the phone gets wiped. Iā€™m at work right now, Iā€™ll do that when Iā€™m back home.

In the meantime, someone on the CalyxOS Matrix channel advised me to open an issue in the CalyxOS tracker regarding the screen dimming issue. I have no idea why Calyx would want to fix a Fairphone bug, but after all, it doesnā€™t cost anything to try. Weā€™ll see if the CalyxOS folks take pity on us poor Fairphone 4 users and pick up Fairphoneā€™s slack. Iā€™d be very surprised, but that would be quite slick :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could you send a link to the issue? Iā€™d like to subscribe to it, since I rather want to start using CalyxOS instead of this buggy stock software

2 Likes

Sure thing:

4 Likes

Today the problem escalated into stage 2 as It dimmed on me again after the initial dim. The first dimming isnt an issue for me as Im mainly indoors, but after stage 2 its like at the third of the brightness capacity (slider is at a 100). Happened while gaming but the game is like ten yrs old, so its not even warm. This honestly feels like a sabotage. No other company is offering the ethics and I hold that value so high I am willing to squint at the screen. I cant argue the ethics to people who ask about the phone though, until I know Im not being screwed with myself.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Workaround screen dimming after A12 update

As I said further above, ethics is not an excuse for sloppiness.

There is no logical connection between those two.

ā€œEthicalā€ excuses ā€œmore expensive than comparable phonesā€, yes, but not this.

6 Likes

I am not sure if someone mentioned it here already, but support told me they indentified the root cause of this bug and will include a fix in the next update!

12 Likes

In licht or sunny conditions my screen fades to a very ā€˜darkā€™ mode. It then is hard to read the screen. Even though the brightness of my screen is toggled all the way to the brightest setting. I do not understand why my phoneā€™s screen automatically turns to this dark shade by its self. Anyone have any tips as to solve this?

Itā€™s a bug, see the thread above.
Apparently about to get fixed, according to the post just above yours.

4 Likes

Hopefully. For months now the phone is basically unusable because of this issue and nothing is being done about it. Itā€™s tedious.

6 Likes

I disagree. Itā€™s just slightly annoying and you can manage it with an app like quick cursor.

1 Like

Fine, it is slightly annoying for you. Got it. Guess what? That doesnā€™t help me the least. For me it is an absolute deal breaker, I am not using the phone because my eyes hurt looking at the dim display.

The phone comes with an option to adjust the brightness. Why did people, many years ago, come up with this great idea? Because there are people like you who like it dimmer, and people like me who do not. Your post is like saying ā€œa shoe size of 17.5 is completely fine, tried it on my feet, no need to complain about itā€.

And also wrong, no app is able to change the brightness beyond the 100% mark on my device. Hence, no app can ā€œmanage itā€.

10 Likes

When youā€™re on the highway, the map suddenly disappears and you miss your turn just because the dash is a bit hot, itā€™s a tad more than that.

12 Likes

they did? Iā€™ve got no news for my support ticket. Did they send you an answer to an open support ticket, or how did they tell you?

In any case, itā€™s great news, lets hope they actually get it fixed with the next update. Iirc, there hasnā€™t been an update this month yet, right? So that should come any day now?

1 Like