Random reboots I cannot figure out why

I would say a sign to treat it bit better :wink: and actually nothing I would like to try to reproduce. Agree with Volker, sounds like interruption of contact/power and due to the modular design I guess FPs are more prone to this than glued phones where nothing moves under the back-cover.

1 Like

huh, very weird behaviour…
Can you explain where the setting to turn it off is located please ?
i cant seem to find it on my phone.

Maybe this is country/phone plan specific ?

Settings > network and internet > SIMs > 4G calling
Test if it works. Please note I didnt try to check any logs etc

1 Like

I don’t get it, its just not there for me ?

It should be between data warning and limit, and preferred network type. Probably your provider doesn’t support it

1 Like

That seem to be a provider issue, I have it with a german O2 SIM however not with a german Vodafone SIM. At the moment the provider is trying to find the reason, as it should be there

You can dial > *#*#4636#*#*

and check the IMS status to see if its working…its under Phone information-three dots upper right

1 Like

@yvmuell combination provider & phone, as i have SIM T-Mobile Czech, in FP5 SIM settings not show VoLTE, only VoWifi… same SIM in previous phone Motorola Moto G Pro have in settings and working VoLTE…
but is strange, after dial number you write, in Phone Info i see “Voice Service: In Service” and “Voice Network Type: LTE” and “VoLTE Provisioned” switch in ON position but grayed…
is this or other line about supported/active VoLTE? :slight_smile:

I do have random reboots with my FP4 several times a day since Android 13.

I think you didnt check under IMS-Status under the three dots in the upper right corner, what you describe sounds like what you see when you open phone information?

Thats the same with a SIM card having the VoLTE toggle in the settings, so seem to normal

And yes the provider needs to support the phone. My provider confirmed it should be there. Luckily its a small german start-up sharing some of FPs missions, so they are willing to look into it without me poking over and over again.

2 Likes

ahah ! i checked and indeed it says unavailable. under “Voice over LTE”.
thanks !!
As a side note, yesterday i downloaded and installed the OS update and so far no reboot anymore with 5G on.

Does anyone has the same behaviour ?

My first experience with Fariphone 5 is (was) not good.
Phone new. Backupped some apps from G.
About 80% of apps from Fdroid.
Sim 4g.
Sd card 32GB.

Many, MANY reboots (about 15-20 per day).
I contacted the customer support e they send me a new one.
Same problems.
15-20 reboots every day.
Inusable.
I wrote to customer support again
They suggest me to deactive the 5g network.

Problem solved!
No more reboots!

I can confirm that this is most likely related to 5G networks and probably cell-changes.

Having 5G activated, I have no issues at home. However I was on vacation (in france) and while driving, the phone rebooted (most likely a cell-change happened). That was reproducable (about 3 times at nearly the same location). Deactivating 5G (by setting preferred network to 2G/3G/4G) solved the issue.
Activating 5G while not moving/changing cells, worked fine and phone was stable.

Maybe this can be narrowed down be explicitly checking whether the used cells change before the crash happens. Maybe something like this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ketancomputers.cellid can help?

1 Like

It’s definitely not a general 5G problem though. For me 5G is totally stable (Orange BE), sometimes I even turn off wifi at home because the 5G is more reliable.

2 Likes

I appear to be able to reproduce triggering a reboot just by dismissing notificatios by swiping them away. However I have installed a couple of apps that may affect notification behaviour and similar and also granted them special permissions through adb although it hasn’t caused reboots on Nokia 1 (TA-1047) or OUKITEL K15 Pro.

I am not rooted and am using Shizuku with permission granted to Greenify, FFUpdater (even if it’s using session installer) and Nevo.

Another guaranteed way to trigger a random reboot seems to be giving a website permission to send push notifications in Google Chrome, then in the notification choose “site settings” and there “erase site data and reset permissions”.

Hi guys, I read this topic and I was also interested if I will face the same issue.
Today I try it on my way home (60km, public transport + train), it took like 1 hour. Switched on 5G mobile data and switched on VoLTE.
I got my FairPhone5 since 8.1.2024.
nanoSIM (ČEZ provider), mobile data on, 5G
eSIM (T-Mobile)
128GB microSD card
Actual soft update: FP5.TT40.A.131.20231130
Phone was nicely stable, no issues, SMS, web browsing OK.
But I didnot have any calls.
Cheers

Yesterday my Fairphone 5 entered a reboot loop with breaks of a couple of minutes in the middle (which I think was caused by simultaneous running of Element and Schildichat), but after performing a factory reset I have been unable to trigger any of the reboots I have mentioned in this thread previously.

I guess the lesson learned is that just like computers, new phones also require factory reset as the first thing to be done on them as I suffered this issue from unboxing to the factory reset.

I had a Fairphone 4 for some time and had no problems with it. But since I got the new Fairphone 5 a few weeks ago, I keep noticing that the phone keeps restarting.

I can narrow it down so that it happens both in normal and safe mode (with WLAN activated).

Also only in my own WLAN. I have the peculiarity that I operate two routers with OpenWRT the same SSID and activated 802.11r. I think I have also noticed it at both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

It usually happens when I come home or change the area of the WLAN routers.

I have already written to support. The result was that I received instructions ranging from safe mode to resetting the phone (which I would not like to do). Unfortunately, the question about an option to get debugging logs from the phone was not answered. I therefore did not pursue the contact any further.

So now I am on my own.

With the notebook connected and abd logcat the phone still wouldn’t restart. If I increase the logcat buffers, they are reset and cleared after the restart.

aLogcat | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository does not seem to write the logs I am interested in without me rooting the phone.

Maybe one of you has an idea how to get the crash logs or more information to finally get to the bottom of the problem.

It’s starting to get on my nerves and even without this problem I still have enough interesting things I’d like to put my head into.

I think this does not need root.

MatLog Libre (Auf CatLog basierender Logcat-Leser im Material Design)

Else try to call

*#*#0574#*#*

1 Like

Many thanks for that. I think that will take me a long way forward.

Let’s see if I can find out anything.