Random and frequent reboots on FP OS 18.09.2

This entry in Taiga is wrong, I’m on Lineage OS, and still have the FULL charge bug sometimes, I can’t say anything about Fairphone OS, because I left it long time ago, please edit your entry!

Your entry:
“Oh, and just to let you know that there’s user reporting this issue only occur on the Fairphone OS but not on Lineage OS (d2w on the top of this thread is the one).”

I have no account over there at the bugtracker, so I’m answering here …
Regarding “I have some paid apps belong to Google Play Store so going to LineageOS is not my option.”

Google stuff works just fine on LineageOS … you just have to install it.
Open GApps offers packages you can choose from for doing this comfortably in TWRP. The minimum package to give you the Play Store would be “pico”.
For the current LineageOS 15.1 on the Fairphone 2 you would choose ARM - 8.1 - (package of your choice).

And since LineageOS is a so-called custom ROM, an Android variant not certified by Google (in contrast to e.g. Fairphone OS), you could look into Google Play Certification, Google’s way of allowing you to use a non-certified Android with the official Google Apps and services without having to fear being blocked by Google somewhen somehow, if Google would somewhen feel like enforcing this.

@ [d2w]
Just edited my entry. Please take a look at.

@ [AnotherElk]
Thanks for your info. So even a paid app on the Play Store works on the LineageOS?
I certainly misunderstood about how the OS works with Google. I’ve once tried CyanogenMod OS (predecessor of LineageOS) a long time ago with other Android device and couldn’t figured out how, messed up with OpenGApp once. that’s the reason why I thought we can’t.

1 Like

It makes no difference to the Play Store whether it runs on LineageOS or any other Android, as long as the necessary Google services are installed (and Google Play Certification is active for the device to be safe in a future in which Google might perhaps block non-certified devices).

I ran the Play Store and some paid Apps myself for quite some time with Open GApps pico installed on Fairphone Open OS and later LineageOS.

Unfortunately this prooved to be wrong. The phone keeps rebooting up to 15 times per day. Even after factory reset it did not stop rebooting. Does it since udate to Android 7.
Slightly fed up with FP II (one of the first …) Since I received it in January 2016 I replaced:
3 cases - now its my 4th
2 top modules
bottom module
New Camera
Altogether that makes up to around 250 Euros on replacement plus the original 530 Euros purchase costs: 780 Euros … - Plus the phone now seems to be finaly broken as the reboots have not stopped. :frowning:

I agree that this really sounds like an unusable phone :frowning:
Did you consider to go back to version 6 as this version worked stable for you? Information about how to go back can be found e.g. at ✏ Android 7 update: most annoying bugs, FAQ, etc

Thank you Volker. Yes, I will go back to version 6 and report here if this proves successful.

1 Like

After struggling with reboot problem on Android 7, I have finally decided to go back to Android 6 OS two weeks ago.
Since then, 0 reboot occur on my phone.
I’m planning to re-contact to support when I have little more time, reporting the consequence. This problem is still not recognized as a bug, they thinks it might be caused by hardware failure :frowning:

2 Likes

Same problem here, had that already about a year ago and it stopped, as far as I can remember, with an update (unfortunately I can’t remeber, what update it was - hope, they solve the problem soon…

I also experience the frequent reboots om FP OS 18.09.2. Since a short while, after a sudden reboot, my simcards are “gone”. I have to do another, manual, reboot to get everything working again.
Besides that, I experience a camera that cannot take pictures until a reboot is done, and other apps that fail.

1 Like

From what I understand reading the comments at https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/182 I’d say that the SW developers have not yet been able to reproduce it so it seems to be a bug but could not yet be confirmed/fixed.

If I am not mistaken, there is already another issue on the bugtracker:

https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/34

This one is for the beta phase already, and the problem obviously survived it and made it into the “stable” version…

I also have reboots since I updated to FP Open 18.10.0 (accordingly to FPOS 18.09.2 = first Android 7.1 release). Of course now I am on FP Open 19.02.1 but the reboots are still remaining.
Now I have 2 questions (posted also in https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/34 ) before deciding if this topic is the right one to share more information (stacktrace etc) or if I should open a new topic:

1. Is this topic only about soft reboots? Because in my case there are always soft reboots.
  2. Is this topic independent of using FP Open or FPOS? I think so.

I’d say feel free to join in … I’ve got GPU resource dead locks which mostly resolve in 10 seconds, some hard reboots and occasionally a soft reboot … symptoms may vary and your reboots may have another cause …

Personally, I blame everything on the QualComm drivers … I guess those are about the same for all Android 7+ distros available for FP2 … I’m now on LineageOS 15.1, which does not solve it and it even has some more issues with hang ups while unlocking. When running Chrome browser I do have some graphic glitches, but apparently Chrome has GPU workarounds … it never hung up.

As I suspect certain GPU operation are causing my problems, they are not really ‘random’ anymore … so I’m off-topic for that sake :slight_smile:

FWIW, I’ve had the same sudden reboots since updating. I’m gonna trying going one version back and see if that fixes it.

@siemen: The version I’m currently on is 18.04.1. I think my trouble may have started with this last Android 6 update. So you may want to go back a version before that.

Actually, I think I have more hangups and reboots now than after installing that last Android 6 update at release … this may indicate my hardware deteriorated even more or that the apps which I currently use are more GPU intensive … I started using Clash Royale and newsapp NU.nl may be using more video and animation since then, but even animations in Launcher (like dragging in a an app icon) may trigger a reboot.

Good luck and I hope to hear it fixes yours.

Oh! I thought this “bug” was just peculiar to me. Quite often I’ll leave home after being on wifi, and my phone will be stuck on Edge. I’ll then reboot it and quite a lot of the time when it completes, the phone will think it’s missing both sim cards. I’ll have to reboot again (sometimes a couple of times) before it decides the sim cards exist.

It’s totally weird. I often see it after a random reboot as well, almost like something crashes on the phone it reboots but something has mucked up networking for that next start.

Hi there!
I finally put a solution to the issue by switching to LineageOS.
After trying different alternatives, Lineage OS 16.0 means no random reboots for me. Previous versions (15.1) didn´t really make any difference compared to FPOS, but it´s been two months I´ve been using my FP2 in every way I´ve needed and I can say I´m back to a normal reliable phone.

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm this.
Running LineageOS 16.0 for about two months and no more reboots :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Fairphoners,

I have a Fairphone 2 powered by FairphoneOS 19.08 (Android 7 Nougat). I have also installed the new camera.

Since I have migrated to Android 7, my fairphone reboots about once per 24 hours. It occurs often during the night, or when I am not using it.
Have anybody a similar problem ? How to fix it ?

Regards,

Xavier